Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The 'Regattas' were a riot too. I loved the moon shot - you paid more to observe than to partiipate. Ha! The gift wrapping sessions for the toy drive were another good time.

Then there were the famous Moon Shots, where the patrons would line up for a group picture baring their derrieres.
    Attachment 10553

Wrong State, right solution.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Ah... I feel old. used to go to Honest John's on Field back in the day when the original John owned it. He later sold it to Bernadette. She is still alive and kicking and in her ninties. Anna May was a bartender there too. She owned a bar on third for years and her stories were fancinating. The bar on Field had a one way mirror and you had to get buzzed in. There was an old piano and a friend of ours played kick ass ragtime. John would be so pleased with the music we frequently drank for free.
    I wonder how many people remember, or even know, that there was an Honest John's [["Honest John's Marine Bar" to be correct about it) before John Thompson? I remember the place from when I was a kid, since my grandfather and uncle used to drink there on occasion, and I went to school only 2 blocks up the street for a while.

I recall going in there and trying to sell candy for some school activity or another and being shooed out by the bartender - but not before making a couple of successful sales to patrons. It was a blazing late spring day and the bar seemed alluringly dark and cool, and an oasis of serene quiet from the roaring traffic on Jefferson and the nearby smelly Uniroyal plant. I always felt like I destined to hang out there sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    WORD Al.
    The stories he told me about that bar [[the current H?Js) before he owned it were pretty terrifying. I remember it as Elmers, and always had a great time there, probably the seediest bar in the Corridor back in the day.

I dunno ... the ol' Subway Bar, and some of those other fine establishments in the southern end of the Corridor were pretty doggone seedy. The Gaiety Bar also comes to mind.

But that's splitting hairs. If you walk into a bar and your feet stick to the floor, and you aren't sure whether you're walking on un-mopped beer or bodily fluids, then the joint is seedy. And Elmer's definitely qualified!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    John was mean as hell when he was drinking. I heard he had quit drinking so I'm really surprised to hear all of these stories. John's saintly wife, who stood by him for years had an horrible stroke about a year ago and the last I heard she can barely talk or walk. Very sad. John's mom used to work the streets and would leave John at the bar so they would keep an eye on him. I was told the original name of the bar was Sugar Dick Daddies.

A member of the family requests people stop speculating on this thread regarding things they don't know about. Apparently your information is incorrect, and therefore should probably be kept to yourself rather than posted on a public message forum as fact.

Ravine Guest

Even if it was accurate, it's way too personal. I feel as though I shouldn't be seeing it, and that feeling causes me to wish I hadn't seen it.

I haven’t been to Honest John’s much recently, only because my wife and I just don’t get out that much anymore. Our first time there [[on Field St.) was in ’92. Shortly after, we became involved with the charity events as participants and volunteer helpers. You can see me in some of the Moon Shot pictures, including the most recent Shot. You can pick me out of the group if you recognize my ass. It was always a great time at the bar and we met some of our best friends there.

On occasion, I run into some of the folks that know John and his wife and actually visit them. What I have heard and read is, and I’m paraphrasing, John’s wife had an aneurysm, not a stroke, and she is doing very well and is close to fully recovered physically.

Ravine Guest

OK, how about this: if you don't really care to comment on the establishment, itself, but you have, or believe that you have, some very personal info about the owner's family, state that you have a compelling desire to share that commentary via PM, and that you are soliciting inquisitors.
    I realize that it is human nature, to want to come off as possessing More Inside Info Than Thou, but goddam, enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    OK, how about this: if you don't really care to comment on the establishment, itself, but you have, or believe that you have, some very personal info about the owner's family, state that you have a compelling desire to share that commentary via PM, and that you are soliciting inquisitors.
    I realize that it is human nature, to want to come off as possessing More Inside Info Than Thou, but goddam, enough already.
    You’re right about sharing personal family info in such a public forum. This is the one time that I did. I’ve been cringing the past few days at what I’ve been reading here and resisted commenting on what I was sure were inaccuracies.

And then………
    A person, who is said to be a family member, indicated that they would be grateful if someone would disseminate the facts to those in this forum, as they are not able to. So I did.

BTW, a comment about the establishment. I really like the food there. My plan is to be at the bar tomorrow morning for a late breakfast. If I know you and you know me, stop by and say hello.

I had a hard time finding the place this Summer. As I was going down Cass, I stopped a guy on the street to ask for directions. He told me to go a half-mile down to the big church and hang a right. Did so, and saw it without a problem. We got a booth, and about 15 minutes later the same dude walks in the front door. He walks up to our table and tells me to scoot over and he'll tell us all about the 60's and Cherry St. if we buy him a couple beers. Needless to say I didn't scoot over, but I was still impressed he walked all that way. Guy looked like an old Drew Carey with a white business shirt and the same old-style black glasses.

Had a wild night at the Jefferson site once with Carmen Harlan no less. John had a mangy black and white flea-infested cat that insisted on sitting on her lap no matter what she did. Finally she just gave in to her guest, and the jokes from the rest of us never stopped. She's a great lady, and took it all in stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I had a hard time finding the place this Summer. As I was going down Cass, I stopped a guy on the street to ask for directions. He told me to go a half-mile down to the big church and hang a right. Did so, and saw it without a problem. We got a booth, and about 15 minutes later the same dude walks in the front door. He walks up to our table and tells me to scoot over and he'll tell us all about the 60's and Cherry St. if we buy him a couple beers. Needless to say I didn't scoot over, but I was still impressed he walked all that way. Guy looked like an old Drew Carey with a white business shirt and the same old-style black glasses.

Had a wild night at the Jefferson site once with Carmen Harlan no less. John had a mangy black and white flea-infested cat that insisted on sitting on her lap no matter what she did. Finally she just gave in to her guest, and the jokes from the rest of us never stopped. She's a great lady, and took it all in stride.
    I never considered Smirl mangy and I’m sure he would argue against your statement if he were still around. Never saw any evidence of flea infestation, either.
    Last edited by Alley_Cat; August-30-11 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Improper grammar

Mental note....never discuss fleas with someone named "alley cat" on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Mental note....never discuss fleas with someone named "alley cat" on the internet.
    Well played, Bong-Man, well played.

I have heard that they will be bringing back the Dipp for Turkeys again. Would love it if they did. Lots of fun. I ended up going in twice the one year I did it because one of the news trucks was late and didn't get a shot.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50333248132083

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Even if it was accurate, it's way too personal. I feel as though I shouldn't be seeing it, and that feeling causes me to wish I hadn't seen it.

I dont think theres anything on this thread that hasnt been made public in the papers when the bar was being handed over. I cant remember if it was the Metro Times or Freep but John pretty much told his story with much more graphic details than have been mentioned here.

I think it was the Freep, I may even have it saved on my HD.

Stromberg2

I got banned from HJ on Field.
    Came in one Sunday, just before noon. John thought I was in law enforcement.
    He frisked me, he touched my pager, and thought it was a gun!

How about the time, John was supposedly robbed? He had collected money for Toys for Tots. I thought it was a little fishy!

He just didn't know who the f*ck you were, pgn, LOL. His potential income in that spot took at least a 10% dive with that move alone. Not just from your business, but those who partied with you.

<sigh>

If only the cops were like you...

At the aforementioned relative's request, I am posting the following message:

I asked someone to try and politely put the kibosh to this and, well, it didn't happen. I'm gonna use a little bit of colorful language, here, but please try and read it in a calm voice

mikeinmotown wrote:John was mean as hell when he was drinking. I heard he had quit drinking so I'm really surprised to hear all of these stories. John's saintly wife, who stood by him for years had an horrible stroke about a year ago and the last I heard she can barely talk or walk. Very sad. John's mom used to work the streets and would leave John at the bar so they would keep an eye on him. I was told the original name of the bar was Sugar Dick Daddies.
    Mikeinmotown....who in the hell do you think you are posting something on a public forum that is patently not true. Someone will be reposting this for me, so I anxiously await your reply through them to me at the kid's table as to WHEN the last time you "heard" was. Secondly, who in the hell do you think you are posting something on a public forum about someone's faculties and/or ability to function. Especially someone as public as John and my aunt [[yes, I am the asshole relative whose panties got all in a twist). Do you not know that there are trolls out there who peruse forums such as this and whose intentions are, shall we say, greedy and below board? Or is your view one of kumbaya and lollipops....because if it is, I'd rather you be the crime victim and not someone I am related to. Thirdly, and this a question I hope [[probably blindly) that you have the stones to answer, how the fu*k is my aunt's condition even germane to the point you were attempting to make?
    Alley_cat wrote:And then………
    A person, who is said to be a family member, indicated that they would be grateful if someone would disseminate the facts to those in this forum, as they are not able to. So I did.
    Alley_cat...Where did you draw this conclusion from? Everyone at the kid's table seemed to draw the universal connection that, as a family member, I was universally displeased with what was written. Johnlodge, at my behest, very eloquently and succinctly made my point and I thought [[against hope) there would no need to expound on his any further. I fail to see how you could have misconstrued that because I didn't mince words over there. Couple that with the fact that since you seem to know John pretty well [[and, by extension, probably me, too) you must know how he absolutely loves to have his wife's name "out there", especially since her injury. I certainly hope I do not have to justify myself to him because of you. At least you had your facts straight [[probably because they came straight from me, yeah?). I don't want my family's business known here. Period . I want it the fuck out! [[Big fucking hint, Moderators!)

I think its pretty clear that this forum meant no harm and even though we have our own observations of John we all care for him as well as his wife.

On the other hand I can understand having some hard feelings when someone is speaking on a relative when they dont know all the facts. I can understand why emotions would run high, they would for me at least.

John is a public figure and has put himself out there in the past in newspapers articles as well as telling stories one on one. I think I can speak for most of the forum members here when I say we meant no ill will.

Hope I didnt say too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I dont think theres anything on this thread that hasnt been made public in the papers when the bar was being handed over. I cant remember if it was the Metro Times or Freep but John pretty much told his story with much more graphic details than have been mentioned here.
    Absolutely the case. John was always very open about his life, feelings and doings - including his mother's profession. Who else would post his own police mug shot in his bar? And why not? He has a lot to be proud of, if he was the proud type -- which he isn't. He started from nothing and achieved much... including a big dose of notoriety and hilarity. I rate people for their color as much as anything else and he is in the very top tier in that category. He is a Detroit legend.

I remember the night we had to wrap, like, 400 basketballs. Ever try to wrap a basketball?

..where is this restaurant? what's on the general menu?

Selden. Cheeseburgers. Beer.

Selden between 2nd and 3rd, right? Or is it 2nd and Cass Avenue?

Never had their cheeseburgers...but nobody I've ever gone there with has ever had a bad meal. That is some kinda track record.

I started this thread because of the awesome experience we had on Saturday...sorry it devolved around John and his personal life...even though I was the first to introduce the term 'ogre'.

Sincerely,
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast