Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Wonderful Town

Default Wonderful Town

I had friends from France visiting this week. I gave them a whirlwind tour of Detroit: put them up at Inn at Ferry Street, took them to the DIA, Riverwalk, Guardian Building [[where Concierge Chris gave us an amazing tour), Heidelberg, MCS, Brother Nature Farm, then topped off by an evening at Bert's at Eastern Market. They loved it. Loved it. They were amazed at how nice everyone was, how lush and green Detroit is. They struggled to understand the obvious poverty and squalor, but I think they really got the spirit of change that is in the city.

So thanks to all the lovely people we encountered along the way. my friends appreciated the casual friendliness they found. I wasn't surprised, but proud.

Yay!

I overheard one young gentleman with glasses speaking with a distinct French accent while we were wandering through Eastern Market this afternoon...and thought of the two young French journalists tasked with searching out good stories in the city that I met and befriended at the Eastern Market movie night a week ago.

Seems our reputation in France is increasing...great to hear your positive story, too. I love it!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I had friends from France visiting this week. I gave them a whirlwind tour of Detroit: put them up at Inn at Ferry Street, took them to the DIA, Riverwalk, Guardian Building [[where Concierge Chris gave us an amazing tour), Heidelberg, MCS, Brother Nature Farm, then topped off by an evening at Bert's at Eastern Market. They loved it. Loved it. They were amazed at how nice everyone was, how lush and green Detroit is. They struggled to understand the obvious poverty and squalor, but I think they really got the spirit of change that is in the city.

So thanks to all the lovely people we encountered along the way. my friends appreciated the casual friendliness they found. I wasn't surprised, but proud.
    Were you at Bert's Thursday night?

I was at Bert's Thursday night. One of my french sat in at the keyboards. I bet he's still grinning.
    Last edited by oldredfordette; August-27-11 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more unnecessary information

I suspect your company by itself would make for a memorable evening, ORF. Nice job!