Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Irene....

Default Irene....

anyone on the east coast? cnn saying she's getting stronger as of now.
    Last edited by Maof; August-26-11 at 08:34 PM.

Cat 1 now, but they say that above the third floor, take cover. But NY's are hard. A hurricane is just a spit in the wrong direction.

Yep...first a quake and now a damn hurricane. What's next, a blizzard...oh, wait..

^^Oh, ha, Patrick.

My firstborn-the-doctor recently moved to south Boston and will get her first taste of hurricane-flavored weather. I suspect it's a little different than a Great Lakes gale, so of course I'm doing the irrational mom thing by worrying too much.

Use this Weatherunderground map to verify current conditions at their many reporting stations in the path of Irene. Click and drag the map to follow the hurricane as it heads northward. Click on any of the orange circles that indicate the current temperature at that station and more data will pop up, including wind speed.

As of now, 2:15 PM Saturday, I cannot find a single WU station reporting sustained winds higher than 37 MPH. Unless Irene re-strengthens as it crosses out into the Atlantic prior to reaching NJ, I don't think the Northeast Coast residents need to worry about anything other than heavy rains.

Gov. of NJ telling people to get off the beach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rl1Lf5_z44

I was here on the Space Coast where they spent a couple of days telling everyone to get off the beach, dangerous waves and swells and currents and rip tides. They had pictures of people out there at Cocoa Beach and up around Daytona getting out there with their surfboards anyway. Well, last night, they were saying the "best waves are gone now but if you still want good surf you can go up to Flagler." Hmmm. Here, Irene passed by in the night and sorry to say, I slept through it. It was pretty far out in the Atlantic so I guess she only kissed us good night.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I was here on the Space Coast where they spent a couple of days telling everyone to get off the beach, dangerous waves and swells and currents and rip tides. They had pictures of people out there at Cocoa Beach and up around Daytona getting out there with their surfboards anyway. Well, last night, they were saying the "best waves are gone now but if you still want good surf you can go up to Flagler." Hmmm. Here, Irene passed by in the night and sorry to say, I slept through it. It was pretty far out in the Atlantic so I guess she only kissed us good night.

First death from Irene was a surfer:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,1279694.story

That's sad. Local weather from Brighthouse Cable took movies over there, and there was an older guy who came there just for the surf. He had a yellow board and he was having a ball. He seemed to be by himself, so likely not one of the two casualties. I think he was by New Smyrna which is just south of Daytona.

Live webcam showing Midtown Manhattan

Interesting that the camera is vibrating from the wind, I presume. If it's not bolted down tight enough, it might go flying.

I can't wait for Rush to tell me tomorrow how Irene ambled up the East Coast. He's going to be a bigger blast than the storm. The politicians and the media just couldn't talk it into being the "catastrophe" they longed to save us from when we could clearly see on the TV how benign it was for a hurricane.
    Last edited by coracle; August-28-11 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I can't wait for Rush to tell me tomorrow how Irene ambled up the East Coast. He's going to be a bigger blast than the storm. The politicians and the media just couldn't talk it into being the "catastrophe" they longed to save us from when we could clearly see on the TV how benign it was for a hurricane.
    So what's your point? You'd rather have seen a repeat of Katrina? Hurricanes aren't totally predicitable, so you have to prepare for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I can't wait for Rush to tell me ...
    If I want hot air and squealing, I let the tea kettle boil over.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    If I want hot air and squealing, I let the tea kettle boil over.
    HeHeHeheHe! you can be sure someone will rise to the bait!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post

How very fitting.

RIP

So what's your point? You'd rather have seen a repeat of Katrina? Hurricanes aren't totally predicitable, so you have to prepare for the worst.
    Typical ditto-head.

Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was

Kind of ironic that I found the link to that article on the Drudge Report [[view Drudge's Friday archives here).

How about this amazing clip???

Nothing can stop the National Guard!

Another way to keep a hurricane out.

Last edited by Whitehouse; August-29-11 at 08:49 AM.

I wonder if that is the same guy I saw on the news that said he sent his wife and kids inland, but hey, it's just water, if it knocks you down it's not going to do any damage

Flooding in Vermont washes away covered bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO18one8fU

lit joe Guest

When Rita came into Orange tx as a cat five it worked north. Came into Hemphill as a cat two. I lost five trees, a shed , part of my roof. About seven hours of 120 mph winds. lighting & rain. We lost power for three weeks. You must have supplies most inportant is a generator output of 6000 running watts. living in the woods is nice but back up is needed. Flooding was not a concern for us we live on a hill over looking lake Toledo Bend. I hope to never see another one.

I lost pretty much everything to hurricane Iwa when I lived on Oahu in the 80's. I love to surf, but you can find big waves without hurricanes. No reason to be out there.

This turned out to be more destructive than first thought. Who would've thought that Vermont and New Hampshire would be wiped out by a Hurricane?

And a second thought - why do they always put some poor weatherman out in a violent storm?

A site had a video of meteorologist "Stormy Mc........." getting slammed with ocean scum that obviously was way too organic [[if you know what I mean).

News - love it or leave it.

Stormy Mc doushbag
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-04-11 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Still stupid and respelling for content.