Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Communal Living in Detroit

Hello,
    I recently moved to Detroit, and I'm living in an apartment downtown. I would love to buy a big house and get a bunch of roommates to share it with. Everyone would help pay rent and utilities and food. I would love to have it set up like a college co-op house where all residents vote on decisions and pitch-in to help with cleaning, maintenance, and growing our own food. One of the main goals would be for the members of the house to be able to live as sustainably and cheaply as possible.

Are there other people out there who would be interested in communal, green living in Detroit? I just want to get an idea of how feasible this is. I know there is the Trumbullplex, which is similar to what I am describing. I have yet to check this place out but it is definitely on my to-do list.

Thanks for your comments!
    [[I previously posted this at http://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...g-detroit.html)

There are a few communal houses in the area of Trumbullplex. Hang out with the anarkids and you should meet them all in short order. A fun bunch. Communal living isn't for everybody, but, at the right age, it's cheap and endlessly amusing.

Scubanaut,

Contact me privately here, if you wish, and I can get you in touch with someone running a communal house, who co-incidentally needs a roommate now.

Cheers,
    John

I have lived in a co-op for almost 15 years...and I love it!!!

I lived for a long time in a communal setting at 45 Colorado in Highland Park starting in 1972. Communal living was very common then and there were several in that area. The large arts and crafts style houses were ideal as they had 4-5 rooms, with large common areas, basement and backyards.

The house was being rented when I moved in and in a couple of years as the housemates came and went, I became the lease holder. In 1978 I bought it when it became cheaper to pay a monthly land contract note than to rent it, it was at the height of the 'white flight' so I got it for next to nothing, continuing its co-op existence for another ten years.

They were amazing, fun-filled years, with legendary parties and inexpensive yet very elegant living - long summer evenings in the hammocks in the lush back garden planted by the Italian predecessors and jovial winter nights around the big roaring fire place. The house mates where generally creatives, artists, musicians, dancers and writers, so it was a very enriching experience as well.

With the economics of the present and so many living at home with their parents, and so many inexpensive houses this seems like a no-brainer bargain way of living for today's young urban generation.

http://corridortribe.com/snap_shots/..._coop_1980.htm

Wow, that sounds like it must have been a blast!

I ~think~ I recognize Bill Hodgson-- was he a musician?

Yes that was Bill Hodgson, a gentle 6'8" giant, who was both an outstanding musician and an accomplished painter. He was lead guitarist of the most renowned Cass Corridor art scene band of those days, the Shadowfax, and could make his electric guitar sing like Jimi Hendrix's. He had absolutely no ego and everybody loved him. He also did awesome solo acoustic performances as these performed at Alvin's demonstrate. He moved to NYC in 1984 where he tragically lost his life to what was determined to be suicide, but never details never seemed conclusive.

The successor Cass Corridor 'house band' to the Shadowfax was the "Layabouts' whose existence began in the basement of 45 Colorado in 1980 where two of its members Stephen Goodfellow and Alan Franklin were residents. They still play and recently performed the final act at this year's Concert of Colors.

Lowell, I'm really, really sorry to hear about Bill. I saw Shadowfax several times and I guess you could say was connected to them through a friend. I've been gone from Detroit for quite awhile, and news like this is inevitable I guess. Thanks for the info.

I love the site you posted Lowell, and have listened to it for quite some time. But can I add the "Mickeys", who has the best left handed slide Dobro I've ever heard.

http://www.myspace.com/lovethemickey...along-24928241

I'm sorry. I guess the Facebook area is pass protected. So you cannot access this new band. Well, there have been one hit wonders in the past. I guess "The Mickeys" will be one of them.

Uhh, ahh - I must be 'past' that age permanently. LOL! But. I can clearly see the benefits for those so inclined. One of my college-aid youths does it in one of the southern cities and loves it. She collects the rents. It takes alot of coordination and cooperation but it's a good thing for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    There are a few communal houses in the area of Trumbullplex. Hang out with the anarkids and you should meet them all in short order. A fun bunch. Communal living isn't for everybody, but, at the right age, it's cheap and endlessly amusing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-27-11 at 02:25 PM.

Yes, I attended a couple of cookouts and events on Colorado back in my art school days. Nice vibe and tons of fun and it seemed like an ideal situation. Brings back memories...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I lived for a long time in a communal setting at 45 Colorado in Highland Park starting in 1972. Communal living was very common then and there were several in that area. The large arts and crafts style houses were ideal as they had 4-5 rooms, with large common areas, basement and backyards.
    http://corridortribe.com/snap_shots/..._coop_1980.htm

My husband and I own and operate a communal living home. There is major pluses and also negatives. Feel free to PM me and can share all that info.

Do have a room to rent so you may want to try living it before embarking on your own. Our house is Arts and Crafts and 105 yrs old. Cable, internet, washer/dryer kitchen priveleges, storage available. Near downtown, WSU and med center. Quiet neighborhood, sweet neighbors. Huge yard and we do a major party once a month. I love to cook and current residents love to eat. Mostly I am happy with our life style. Three dogs one cat and plan to add one more cat. Friends came over yesterday with BBQ chicken, we ordered pizza and appetizers. This morning I see all was eaten which makes me happy. Did all the dishes with no complaints. People here know I hate doing dishes and frequently clean them for me.

You will need to be flexible, tolerant and dare I say it, ecletic. Also a little tough. Sometimes people don't fit in. They do get voted out. Current ages here range from 30's to Fifties.

Actually my biggest bitch is when people do not return silverware to the kitchen. I keep complete silverware for twenty in kitchen and the other day I had just one regular fork and one salad fork. Pitched a hissy and miraculously all were returned.

Good luck with your concept. Be picky about who lives with you. It can be great fun or an occaisional nightmare!

Sumas

I was in the day[[1970), where I looked for a commune. Kentucky, Northern California, etc. But you realize that Hostels are the way to go. Some will scream Communism, but for a young person, that's the way to go.

Good luck.

uhh.
    Such living probably wouldnt work for me. When I envision communal living
    in the city I feel like it is probably 1 of 2 things with no happy medium.
    On the 1 hand crusties and or the 18-25 crowd that is trying to party all
    the time. Make it hard to uh.. do homework.
    The other end would probably be a little older that are just kinda too broke
    to pay 650 a month for their own spot. Perhaps sober addicts or dry alcoholics
    who would have issue with the occasional green top tip or beer drinking I like to
    do or otherwise try to tell me how to conduct myself regardless of how responsible
    and respectful i am.

Sumas, Hi Sumas,

You own and operate a communal living home, how rad! That is basically what I am talking about trying to do.

So far actually aquiring a home has been a challenge. A lot of the good deals out there right now require a ton of cash, which we don't have.

[[We = my husband and I. I just got married, and totally didn't even mention that in my first post. whoops! so there are 2 of us, not just one. Not sure we could fit in your house without crowding you! Makes it a little tougher to find ppl who want 2 new roommates.)

I'm really interested in your lifestyle. If it's not too nosy, I'd love to know more. You seem to have good experience and advice. maybe we could even meet. If you are close to the Wayne State area it's totally doable [[I bike there everyday).

Cheers!
    Michelle
    ps PM me, and maybe we can email. [[I think your PM inbox is full!) thanks!

I rented out a room in Ann Arbor & loved it. It seemed to be the norm.

I will have a room or two to rent next year... so I'm following this thread with lots of interest. Agree with whoever said it can be a blast or a total nightmare.