Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "The Best Coffee I've Ever Had" is an understatement...Astro in the Spotlight

I know there is a thread on Astro Coffee already, but that one is polluted by so much cacophony...and after my experience this morning, I believe they deserve a fresh look taken in proper perspective.

First of all, this ain't no coffeehouse. That is too tiny a word, tainted by expectations ranging from old linoleum-countered and chromed donut shops to funky hippie hangouts where spontaneous bouts of poetry and/or music may erupt at any time. All have their function, with some answering the increasingly demanding [[yet simultaneously demeaning) needs of our fast-paced Type-A personality corporate capitalist society. It can no longer be called civilization, since rarely are our chance encounters even basically civil.

This morning, somehow I was Astro Coffee's first customer...so the hustle-bustle I was so overwhelmed with during lunch a few weeks ago [[thanks again, Frankie the K!) hadn't yet arrived. I was able to wander about, watching the prep work at the beginning of business for them...and take my time perusing the menu and sampling the personalities of the folks behind the counter.

After looking at the 4 choices of the day of various beans from around the world...reading their characters and tendencies and flavor subtleties...I chose one, ordered it, then noticed it was the most expensive of them all. Somehow, left to my instincts, I always find the most expensive thing in any restaurant or retailer. It was the single most expensive cup o' joe I'd ever requested. Expectations went beyond my previous limits...I even told one of the owners that he was stretching my envelope a bit, even though I previously considered myself somewhat aware of the range of good to bad coffees.

I had to wait, because they only slow-'brew' or more accurately perhaps steep the perfectly ground beans in a device that I had previously thought was merely a solo-cup camping accessory...the v-shaped elongated-cone filter holder that sits atop each cup. I had to wait. Did I mention, there is waiting involved?!

Well...it is very much worth it. I took mine to go, along with a slice of chocolate/cherry heaven-in-cake, all the way down to Belle Isle for a short visit to ItsJeff's bench...now slightly overgrown, but shaded by the felled tree that we haven't taken care of yet.

Took nearly four sips before I even noticed I hadn't put my standard teaspoon of honey in as sweetener. The experience was purely delectable...the flavor danced and partied with my tastebuds, and even high-fived some glands in my neck on the way down. I've never had anything like this, and I may be forever tainted against American-style coffee.

I thought I made a decent cup of espresso...and always considered that the epitome of the delights of the bean...until viewing the documentary Black Coffee, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning more about this substance that fuels so much of our mornings [[and for some, the rest of their workday, too).

It was during the history lessons woven throughout that extraordinary story where I learned that espresso only came about because one impatient fellow needed to get out and on with his day...and couldn't 'waste' ten minutes waiting for his kickstart. But the true brew has always been a process unhindered by time restraints. The goodness of the coffee bean comes out more with proper handling and processing.

Espresso is the shortcut, with many of the benefits, but not all of the refinements.

So, back to my morning glory story...every sip of this nectar brought forth so many superlatives as to overload even the most enthusiastic wordsmith. The contrast with the rich but crumbly chocolate heaven-cake was simply the perfect counterpoint. With the sun beginning to reflect off the riverwater, and the peace and quiet of the east end of Belle Isle just after sunrise, I noticed rather abruptly that I was bathed in bliss...not unlike the Savasana at the end of another of Micha's wonderful Yin Yoga sessions in my old loftspace...now the FlyHouse.

Can I buy this coffee every morning? Unfortunately not. My budget does not allow for $10 breakfasts daily. Will I seek out Astro Coffee and support them every chance I get to treat myself or my partner? Absolutely and without reservation. I am not even sure I want to become used to such delights...this is gourmet java...and like fine wines [[mad props to Dave and Melissa at Motor City Wine, who also have helped me stretch my hedonistic tendencies) and great tobacco and dinners in restaurants with no-price menus...I want this to remain special, precious.

But there are those who wish to seek out the best of things...and Astro Coffee is solidly ensconced on that pedestal for me now. If you want to enhance the civility of your life...and support some passionate, honest, and good people along the way...then give Astro a try. Don't rush it...there is great pleasure in taking the slow route. I am basking in this experience still, two hours later. Never, ever has a cup of coffee ever done that to me before. Satiated...completely.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-26-11 at 11:01 AM.

Ahhh. Good coffee. You've told the story very poetically.

woah...that is the best review of any place I have ever heard....i am slightly speechless after reading it.
    thanks for the write up!

Thanks.

I am still a bit overwhelmed by it all.

I was ready to learn something new, not get my worldview altered.

I say they'll collect connoisseurs instead of customers...no willing palate will be abused.

Plus, they really are darned nice folks. I am quite enthused to make their acquaintance.

Cheers

You did a great job on this but forgot to relay their jingle Gannon;

This is Astro Coffehouse, yes you found the place, we'll send your taste buds to outerspace...

Jeez Gannon, did you write copy for J. Peterman? You made me spit out my instant Kroger coffee.

Then, in the distance, I heard the bulls. I began running as fast as I could. Fortunately, I was wearing my Italian cap toe oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men's whole and half sizes 7 through 13. Price: $135.00.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-26-11 at 05:42 PM.

Are you sure there was only coffee in that cup

LOL, actually...I'm more curious about what was in that cake.

I finally saw the movie Chocolat last week...

You should put this on Yelp.com

The coffee they have is onolicious [[thats Hawaiian for really good). Can't wait till Sugarhouse opens so I can get drunk and sober on the same block.

What did you think of Chocolat? I really like Johnny Depp as an actor, and I found his irish accent pretty OK; but the story about the sinfulness of eating chocolate in a small french town is so ludicrous; its not even funny. It is certainly one of the more overrated movies in the catalogue IMHO.

This thread reminds me of all the good that can come out of Detroityes. No one has insulted anyone yet, and it has that good friendly vibe that I miss so much on these boards. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    This thread reminds me of all the good that can come out of Detroityes. No one has insulted anyone yet, and it has that good friendly vibe that I miss so much on these boards. Thanks all.
    Hey JDKeepsmiling, what are you getting at?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What did you think of Chocolat? I really like Johnny Depp as an actor, and I found his irish accent pretty OK; but the story about the sinfulness of eating chocolate in a small french town is so ludicrous; its not even funny. It is certainly one of the more overrated movies in the catalogue IMHO.

While always a Depp devotee, I was awestruck by Juliette Binoche. She is yet another beauty which seems to only get better and better with the passing of time, and to me is positively electric. Dame Judy Dench knocked her role out of the park...and even though I recognized Trinity from the Matrix as the over-protective mother of Dench's estranged grandson, she took over that role as well. Every actor was superb, if Binoche's nemesis was a bit over-the-top, in a dastardly way.

Versions of this sort of thing play out in various scales throughout history and in each of our lives. The Chocolate was merely a vehicle or concept or focus to show the context of ancient mystical wisdom versus human power plays attempting to control people.

Binoche's somewhat magical approach to her craft always seemed to bring out the best in people...while the externally-forced and colluded group mindset of tradition and habit always seemed to exacerbate the worst in each of them...even IF they had the best of intentions.

Playing it off during the externally-forced abstinence of Lent merely amplified the whole tension of the story...and if you didn't get it, you have never been around Catholics. Of course, the best of them will try to say that it should be internally motivated...and I agree wholly, as would the Binoche character...remember she told her daughter she could go to church, but it didn't guarantee any improvement in the matter. She also did NOT say it absolutely wouldn't help, either.

Nah, Chocolat is now on my 'to buy' listing, instead of merely renting it from the library...it is a timeless story that includes character development on many levels...which to me makes it close to the perfect story, very well perpetrated on the big screen.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    See what a good cup o' joe can DO to a place?!

LOL...it is good to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    While always a Depp devotee, I was awestruck by Juliette Binoche. She is yet another beauty which seems to only get better and better with the passing of time, and to me is positively electric. Dame Judy Dench knocked her role out of the park...and even though I recognized Trinity from the Matrix as the over-protective mother of Dench's estranged grandson, she took over that role as well. Every actor was superb, if Binoche's nemesis was a bit over-the-top, in a dastardly way.

Versions of this sort of thing play out in various scales throughout history and in each of our lives. The Chocolate was merely a vehicle or concept or focus to show the context of ancient mystical wisdom versus human power plays attempting to control people.

Binoche's somewhat magical approach to her craft always seemed to bring out the best in people...while the externally-forced and colluded group mindset of tradition and habit always seemed to exacerbate the worst in each of them...even IF they had the best of intentions.

Playing it off during the externally-forced abstinence of Lent merely amplified the whole tension of the story...and if you didn't get it, you have never been around Catholics. Of course, the best of them will try to say that it should be internally motivated...and I agree wholly, as would the Binoche character...remember she told her daughter she could go to church, but it didn't guarantee any improvement in the matter. She also did NOT say it absolutely wouldn't help, either.

Nah, Chocolat is now on my 'to buy' listing, instead of merely renting it from the library...it is a timeless story that includes character development on many levels...which to me makes it close to the perfect story, very well perpetrated on the big screen.

Cheers!
    Cool!

I guess I couldnt manage the suspension of disbelief concerning a small french town looking on chocolate as a devil in disguise. I was brought up in the cafflick fold, but I cant wrap my head around the concept of food equals evil in a small french town; it never gelled. I do think Binoche is a looker too, that at least made the thing somewhat palatable.

If I visit Detroit though, I will certainly try out Astro; your masterly evocation of a morning cuppa java; I can relate.

We'll see what happens this morning when I have to make my own espresso again.

I'm not dreading it...but now have my expectations raised a bit.

I've read other coffee maniacs' accounts of how good it can be...I had just never experienced it myself until yesterday.

Don't get me wrong...there have been other "a-hah!" moments on this coffee learning curve...but they had been gradual. Introduced to Starbucks in Chicago by my ex-brother-in-law...when I would drive there for work almost weekly, so I brought my beans home while dreaming that they'd somehow make it to Detroit. An ex-girlfriend bought me the espresso machine and grinder that I still use today...17 years later. Refined my home process over that time, with help from baristas and other coffee afficianadoes. For a time, I never had to order at the nearest Starbucks, after the first couple of visits for my usual quad-espresso...the staff apparently recognized me. First, that Dearborn store, then the one near me in North Hollywood. The Dearborn one was fun, when the line of Ford employees used to go out the door, I'd meander in...grab my drink already made...then pay on my way out. Every once in a while, you'd see one of the type-As spontaneously combust...

Then, the major illumination with Cafe de Troit. Lee and her staff took me to another level with the Intelligencia approach from Chicago. I almost went there to take their barista classes...and still might. At the very end of her time, I was ready to take over her work and move it to the Opera House garage...but my main investor got hit with a bullshit FDA fine...so that couldn't happen. I was crushed...LOL!

But the learning curve was simply accelerated yesterday morning...Astro launched me from my relative complacency and previous comfort zone. I'm going to make some espresso soon...it is a lingerly late morning on this beautiful Saturday. We haven't even gotten out of bed yet. Well, I did, to get this darn computer...

I've got a fanciful idea that this city could be linked together with a collaboration of neighborhood coffeehouses that would double as local meeting places.

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; August-27-11 at 08:30 AM.

We'll see what happens this morning when I have to make my own espresso again.

I'm not dreading it...but now have my expectations raised a bit.

I've read other coffee maniacs' accounts of how good it can be...I had just never experienced it myself until yesterday.

Don't get me wrong...there have been other "a-hah!" moments on this coffee learning curve...but they had been gradual. Introduced to Starbucks in Chicago by my ex-brother-in-law...when I would drive there for work almost weekly, so I brought my beans home while dreaming that they'd somehow make it to Detroit. An ex-girlfriend bought me the espresso machine and grinder that I still use today...17 years later. Refined my home process over that time, with help from baristas and other coffee afficianadoes. For a time, I never had to order at the nearest Starbucks, after the first couple of visits for my usual quad-espresso...the staff apparently recognized me. First, that Dearborn store, then the one near me in North Hollywood. The Dearborn one was fun, when the line of Ford employees used to go out the door, I'd meander in...grab my drink already made...then pay on my way out. Every once in a while, you'd see one of the type-As spontaneously combust...

Then, the major illumination with Cafe de Troit. Lee and her staff took me to another level with the Intelligencia approach from Chicago. I almost went there to take their barista classes...and still might. At the very end of her time, I was ready to take over her work and move it to the Opera House garage...but my main investor got hit with a bullshit FDA fine...so that couldn't happen. I was crushed...LOL!

But the learning curve was simply accelerated yesterday morning...Astro launched me from my relative complacency and previous comfort zone. I'm going to make some espresso soon...it is a lingerly late morning on this beautiful Saturday. We haven't even gotten out of bed yet. Well, I did, to get this darn computer...

I've got a fanciful idea that this city could be linked together with a collaboration of neighborhood coffeehouses that would double as local meeting places.

Cheers
    John, you should try the Fourteen East coffee place on Woodward. It's a little bit too expensive for me, but I do treat myself every so often. I have never been to Astro coffee so I don't know what they have there, but Fourteen East serves Chazzano's coffee which is AMAZING. The first time that I tried it was a similar experience to the one that you describe as your first time at Astro. If you go to Fourteen East, you will see that you have the option to have your coffee prepared in a coffee siphon. It is expensive, but you have to try it. I have never tasted coffee so good.

I plan on checking out this Astro coffee place next week.

Its funny you mention that coffee houses could be stringed that way. There are quite a few good houses in Detroit that serve that purpose it seems from all the threads popping up over time. Coffee houses were very important three hundred years ago as agents of change when they first happened in european capitals. Of course many of them doubled as brothels, but hey, human intercourse was the name of the game I guess. Meanwhile I am making my Kirkland brand espresso low-brow brew, and enjoying it.

Actor Sean Penn was at Astro a little while ago.

Canuck--
    Kirkland is roasted by Starbucks, or it was at one time, anyway. I assume it still is.

By the way, my wife and I went to Jackson yesterday to see the Ansel Adams photo exhibit at the Ella Sharp Museum [[great show-- it will be there through Labor Day weekend-- but take Jackson Road rather than I-94-- the construction backup was awful), and stopped in a Jackson Coffee Company on Mechanic Street. They roast their own coffee in the store, and the coffee was quite good. I'm a home roaster, so I enjoyed watching the roasting going on.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Its funny you mention that coffee houses could be stringed that way. There are quite a few good houses in Detroit that serve that purpose it seems from all the threads popping up over time. Coffee houses were very important three hundred years ago as agents of change when they first happened in european capitals. Of course many of them doubled as brothels, but hey, human intercourse was the name of the game I guess. Meanwhile I am making my Kirkland brand espresso low-brow brew, and enjoying it.
    I've got a plan in my head to create a shared-access system, so those places with a stage can 'broadcast' to the other participating venues...same system could be used for interactive community meetings and such things. Hell, even sharing inventory when necessary...just more of my collaborative socio-capitalist dreams that bubble in my noggin.

As for the Kirkland...it is tough to pass up that bargain for my daily dosage...and while we are troubled when our favorites are not in stock [[always the risk with CostCo)...we've never been disappointed by the Kirkland product. Funny if they use Starbucks roasting facilities...the same size bag o' Starbucks beans is quite a bit more expensive, if memory serves!

Cheers

Yup, noticed the same for the Starbucks vs Kirkland brand Parkguy and Gannon. The Kirkland espresso is pretty decent. I used to buy the cheaper Lavazza which I like as well but it is more acrid.

Your idea of linking up coffehouses for neighborhood meetings is cool. The teleconferencing I guess could help folks avoid traveling to one central place and meet up with locals in an informal venue.

Is this the same company?

Astro Coffee is part of the food division of Space Investment Company llc in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
    The Company operates Space World Arabia and Space World India, 2 mega-edutainment-projects that encompass many aerospace learning and entertainment facilities such as Space Camp, Aviation Camp, Robotics, Rocketry, X-Camp, space museum and gravity rides.
    Space Camp includes replicas of Space Shuttle Columbia, the International Space Station, NASA Control Center, Mars Room and associated training equipment and gravity rides.
    Aviation Camp includes 3 types of fighter simulators, control tower and other aviation training facilities and rides.
    Robotics training teaches participants to build and program robots, while Rocketry teaches them the mechanics of building carrier-rockets.
    X-Camp is where participants learn to survive on land and water once missions are aborted.
    Space World Arabia is a partner licensee of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center [[USSRC). Its mission is to use U.S. Space & Aviation Technology to stimulate regional interest in the study of Aerospace Sciences through:
    • Exploration of the dynamics of space and aviation
    • Simulation of the challenges astronauts and pilots encounter during missions
    • Discovery of one’s self and the universe in order to reach new heights
    Please press the Company name link below for more information about Space Investment Company.

Astro Coffee is an international franchise licensed by Space Investment Company llc, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The Licensee in Saudi Arabia is Emirates Space Est.
    All franchising enquiries should be addressed to:
    Astro Coffee Administrator
    Space Investment Company
    P.O. Box 117723
    HDS Tower, 37th Floor
    Jumeirah Lake Towers
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Tel: +971 4 430 8864
    Fax: +971 4 430 8865
    Email: admin@spaceworldarabia.com

That part of the Middle East has been all about being the tallest, longest, and biggest for quite awhile now. Just like we used to be. That's alright, you pay at the pump for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast