Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Speed Trap on Mack Overpass tonight

I was driving into town on Mack this evening, when I noticed a bunch of flashing red and blue lights. There were four cars pulled over...and officers busy writing tickets.

A moment later, I realized the source...a cruiser in the back of the McDonald's parking lot at Conner, with the HOOD propped open as distraction...and an officer with a laser speed detector clocking everyone coming down the overpass north of the Chrysler plant.

The city made some money tonight, I'm certain. Most people FLY over that bridge...and for fun, while driving home just before midnight...I set my cruise control at exactly 30 mph. The free-wheeling overdrive automatic transmission did nothing to brake my downhill acceleration to 35...so I wonder if they gave any leeway for that.

I know the GPP cops don't offer anything over 30 mph once you cross Alter...and seem to especially target those who live on the 'other' side of the border. They just love to squat in the line of cars outside Mama Rosa's and those bars along that strip.

Mack is an unfriendly road...kinda like a demiltarized zone, everyone gets it bad if they get out of line.

Watch your leadfeet...

Cheers,
    John

I usually see at least one squad car, from GPP, parked around Mama Rosa's, and several more in the parking lot because they frequent the restaurant.

As a side, Warren has been nabbing drivers turning left onto Hoover from 11 Mile during the construction of the bridge.

The cops that pulled this guy over probably giggled like little girls.

Kyle Busch flagged for driving 128 mph … in a 45-mph zone
    Just days after winning the North Carolina Education Lottery 200, where he posted an average speed of 101.6 mph, Kyle Busch has been ticketed for exceeding that speed on a public North Carolina road.
    Busch made the highly questionable decision to drive all-out in a 45 mph residential area in North Carolina, eventually hitting 128 mph in a Lexus Fuji Apex.
    http://tinyurl.com/What-s-that-in-my-mirror

I saw two traffic cops pulling different people over on Gratiot south of Forest yesterday around 5:15 pm. This made me wonder if there was a new effort in place, since I drive that stretch daily and NEVER see traffic stops.

I believe that general enforcement of laws, including traffic laws, promotes a culture of responsibility and would like to see Detroit Police doing more of this kind of work. Most of the Detroit Police traffic cars I see around town are actually speeding or running lights themselves - and I doubt they are all going to the scene of an emergency.

Absolutely.

I also encourage this...and would LOVE it if every police officer were somehow able to remain within the law with everything they do, or else they are the worst of hypocrites.

There are many times when I wished there was some justice on the road...the city could totally clean up their financial difficulties by simply nailing those who drive like fools. A few weeks ago, I was recommending something like this on outbound Lodge during the evening rush hour, too. Talk about your cash generation...LOL...

Cheers

If Detroit comes down hard on traffic laws, it will be one more reason for many people to avoid the city. I haven't spent a dime in Warren or Chesterfield Twp in years because I don't approve of their policing tactics.

Pulling people over for traffic violations is one nice way to see what's out there. Sometimes fishing catches some nice fish!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Pulling people over for traffic violations is one nice way to see what's out there. Sometimes fishing catches some nice fish!
    Absolutely. The New York Cops caught The Son of Sam killer because he happened to get a parking ticket.

The Police where in full force yesterday pulling over cars at 7 Mile and Van Dyke for seatbelt violations, and today they are pulling over every scrapper on 6 Mile going to the scrap yards. They had flatbed trucks lined up on the side street waiting to tow away peoples trucks.

thatguy123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    The Police where in full force yesterday pulling over cars at 7 Mile and Van Dyke for seatbelt violations, and today they are pulling over every scrapper on 6 Mile going to the scrap yards. They had flatbed trucks lined up on the side street waiting to tow away peoples trucks.
    If you arn't used to the seatbelt trap on van dyke now, just stop driving. That has been going on for a loooooooooooooooooooong time

I'm glad to see some traffic enforcement in Detroit -- but only can hope that its done fairly and done well. Its very easy to write tickets. A lot more work to seek out those who really deserve tickets. If they don't do the latter, it will rightly breed only resentment. Best of luck to them.

I wish the Eastern District cops would watch Georgia Street more carefully. The kids are all using the garden and playground now. Cars drive up and down Georgia Street with no regard for anything or anyone...sometimes up to 60 miles per hour. Unfortunately, Georgia is a straight shot from Gratiot to Erwin [[about 3/4 of a mile) with no stop signs.

Also, people crossing Georgia on Vinton frequently completely ignore the stop sign.

DPD could make a fortune if they would just sit behind the GSCC Community Center for a few hours each day!