Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default a great kid sets a great example [[mowing)

Gift cards for McDonalds? They should have taken up a collection at the school.

I admit i didnt view the video, just read the article. Thought it was great he did that mowing. I dont eat fast food, so i dont see mcdonalds as a REWARD...... seems like "for such a great job we give u health problems and an early death [[McDonalds)"

They could have at least popped for the gas for the mower.

I just drove by about 5 different schools all of them had knee high grass... This really needs to be addressed ASAP! The kids of the city should not have to suffer for lack of city services... We should not have to rely on our upstanding 8th graders to do the work we pay for as tax payers...

Robert Bobb is trying to renegotiate the contracts for the lawn services. Until then I suspect it won't be cut.

Thsi is one thing I disagree with him on as it is a safety issue.

Waiting for the union backlash ala Greening of Detroit tree planting...

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Waiting for the union backlash ala Greening of Detroit tree planting...
    As jt1 explained, contractors cut the grass and Bobb thinks the cost is too high. If the unions want to take over the work, they should bid on it. If they can do it more cheaply, they should be allowed to. They're probably laughing right now because the work was probably taken from them and given to the contractors years ago.

That kid deserves the right to bid on that job, he proven to be capable of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
    As jt1 explained, contractors cut the grass and Bobb thinks the cost is too high. If the unions want to take over the work, they should bid on it. If they can do it more cheaply, they should be allowed to. They're probably laughing right now because the work was probably taken from them and given to the contractors years ago.
    Bobb is probably right. DPS's track record leads one to believe that the contract is probably rigged.

I hope others step up to the plate at the other schools now that this young man has set an example for everyone else, especially the adults.

I guess they way i see it is its no ones personal responsibility, what what a great difference it makes for us that pass the schools and more importantly for the kids that have to go there. Its a great self esteem booster than to have oto enter a building daily that is obviously not cared for. If the school shows no value does that not translate on some level to the children that they arent important either?

Bearinabox Guest

Is there seriously nobody at Channel Two who knows that Warren and Schaefer is in Dearborn? I wonder how many times they got lost on the way to Joy and Schaefer to report this story.

Looks like this DPS student is working harder than the adults.

I want to give that kid an great big hug. He's a positive example for others to follow. He puts to shame a lot of adults.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    They could have at least popped for the gas for the mower.
    The enterprising kid might branch off into arson-for-hire.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Looks like this DPS student is working harder than the adults.
    The adults shitting all over his story on DetroitYes? Or some other adults?

A nice story about a good kid raised by a caring mother. He and his mom should be supported and used as role models in a city in dire need of positive direction.

Clifford Conner for City Council.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    The adults shitting all over his story on DetroitYes? Or some other adults?
    Yes, how have you contributed ED?

Ive given this some thought, and Im sure the school will make him stop. They will be some reason like "liability for injury" he may have on the property while mowing. Watch see........

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes, how have you contributed ED?
    By not shitting all over the story as many others feel the need to.

If you'd like to know how much charity work I do and how much of my salary I give to charity, then go ahead and start another thread. I'm sure I stack up with the best. But then again, maybe you were just attempting an ad hominem attack.

Way to go Clifford!