Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lower west side buildings

This is a three topic thread because I didn't think anyone would appreciate me starting three separate threads.

I was floating around on the bike today and came across these interesting places.

Here we go!

#1. Any ideas about what this building is being used for currently? It would be a fantastic location for small artists studios and fabrication shops [[I'm looking for such spaces).

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 5.57.05 PM.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 6.03.43 PM.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  44.9 KB

#2. The 14th St. Lofts.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 6.14.26 PM.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  29.4 KB

As you can see from the Street View image, it was in pretty rough shape. But now it has new windows and finished interiors. It is clearly a Dennis Kefallinos / Loft Place development as indicated by their trademark "Lofts for Lease" sign in the window.

Love him or hate him, he's freaking smart. These lofts will certainly fill up.

A quick search pulled this up:

"We have some Lofts that will be opening in the next couple months. These lofts are located at 2101 West Lafayette [[The corner of Lafayette and 14th street) These lofts will be [[Studio and one bedroom style) At this time we have no pictures of these lofts. If your not looking to move four the next couple of months these lofts might be a great fit. If you would like an appointment to view these lofts please e-mail or give a call to The lofts are not 100% complete at this time but we feel they are far enough along for viewing. Sorry no dogs allowed.
    Lofts will be $650 up to $850 a month [[Month to month leaseing) no long term
    Thank You
    Matt and or Ursula"

[[Such poor grammar...)

#3. Big ups if you can tell me where this photo was taken:

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 6.32.29 PM.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  28.2 KB

Very nice! I've seen the buildings on #1 as my Mom used to work at Latino Family Services across the street. I've never seen any activity across the street.

I give, where is number 3?

Ah, Islandman, I can't give it away so soon. Surely, somebody has to recognize it?

It's such a shame that small spaces such as "#1" aren't marketed towards the Russell Industrial crowd. You may or may not be surprised at the conditions/locations one would accept to have space to create.

The first one off Vinewood is way cool. I have been documenting it with medium-format panoramic photos this summer, like a big line of photos of the whole building. I don't know its history. I'll try to get some of the slides scanned so I can share soon. Thanks for starting a thread!
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; August-26-11 at 02:27 AM.

Wow, very cool! I can't wait to see your photos!

Are the first two pictures of the front and back of the same buildings? What is the address?

It's the front of the buildings. These buildings run for 2 blocks. They are located on Vinewood, south of Fort.

From the streetview, it looks like some are occupied and some of the others look like they're being maintained. The two story buildings could be funky lofts, complete with a garage... not sure of the area though. ;-)

The neighborhood is primarily industrial, half vacant and half in use.

Those are exactly the kind of lofts that would be up my alley. Garage and solidly build. They look pretty secure too.

The last picture is of an industrial building, probably a storage facility, that is directly south of the tracks leading into MSC, set back on the north side of W. Lafayette.

So, turns out that this building is on the auction block:

http://www.whydontweownthis.com/detail/21/12533

My guess is #3 is off of Federal near St. Hedwig's.