Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DEGC seeking developer for Capitol Park buildings

The city of Detroit is seeking ideas from developers to remake the historic but dilapidated Capitol Park district on downtown’s west side into a vibrant live-work-play enclave.

Specifically the city is asking for proposals to redevelop three vacant buildings that the city took control of in the recent past – 1145 Griswold, 1212 Griswold, and the Farwell Building at 1249 Griswold. The three buildings comprise more than 250,000 square feet of space.

The request for proposals released this week by the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. represents the city’s effort to focus the same sort of attention on downtown’s west side that in recent years went to Woodward Avenue and the area just to the east, including Harmonie Park [[now called Paradise Valley), Greektown, the stadium district and elsewhere

A copy of the city’s request for proposals is available at the DEGC Web site www.degc.org.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011082...text|FRONTPAGE

This is cool. I think developers would be most successful turning any of those buildings into residential spaces.

hopefully all the buildings can be fully rehabbed, or get rid of them and let some sun shine in.. in my bus catching years, the place was lousy with pigeons, and looked totally burnt out, except for that cigar shop, or the United Way headquarters.. [[did they move)?

I also remember a cafeteria-style diner, that closed down..

capitol park has come a long way since the Rosa Parks Transit station opened up. This could be another Campus Martius-like jewel in 5 years.

With all the talk of high residential occupancy in the CBD, I'm hoping for some for some new housing. Capitol Park has so much potential.

I remember when Transformers 3 was being filmed in Capitol Park, they set up fake store-front facades, such as Dunkin Donuts as well as sidewalk dining areas. It tricked me for a second, and Capitol Park felt part of a real city. Hopefully these buildings can be rehabbed and add much needed residents and business to the district.

I walk through there all the time just to imagine what it could be, and what I could do with it if I had deep pockets. Can be very cool.

Why does the prospect of the DEGC "saving" something make me feel ill inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Why does the prospect of the DEGC "saving" something make me feel ill inside?
    Because you have a good BS meter : ) One does have to admit they have a good propaganda site.

White Room Studio was kicked out of The Capitol Park Building by the DEGC so they could put out this RFP. I propose they put a recording studio in that building.

You can see where that is going remove currant tenants so we can make it ripe for development then regulate the who and what to the point where nobody can do anything then say well we offered it and nobody accepted so it needs to come down.It is a semi private for profit corporation. I hope it works out for the better anyways.

Yeah. Dismantle the DEGC. There's some budget cutting for ya.

How to save a building.

Spend lots of money to buy it.

Evict any tenants; they just keep the scrappers out.

Draw up arcane, confusing requests for proposals while the scrappers are at work with no tenants to balk them.

After crackheads have carved up building, state that no proposals were realistic, and since the building has been so damaged by now ... call in Adamo.

The winning proposal will be three more pocket parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You can see where that is going remove currant tenants so we can make it ripe for development then regulate the who and what to the point where nobody can do anything then say well we offered it and nobody accepted so it needs to come down.It is a semi private for profit corporation. I hope it works out for the better anyways.
    Well to be fair, the DEGC is responsible for just about every major renovation project downtown the Kales, Book-Cadillac, the lofts along Woodward. Those were city owned buildings that the DEGC saved. The problem with DEGC they make up their minds beforehand, like with the Lafayette I think they were on a mission to get rid of a building the Book-Cadillac owner thought was eyesore.

Main problem with the DEGC?

I mean, look at Midtown. Lots of medium-sized buildings, with medium-sized tenants, small tenants, small businesses, medium-sized businesses. They add up to something greater than their sum. It's wonderful to see what's happening in the mid-city area. The few big players, the university or the medical center, aren't bulldozing it like they used to, in fact, they're offering incentives for little people, renters, small businesses, to open in these buildings.

The DEGC, on the other hand, evicts small businesses. They want BIG players, BIG deals, BIG money. And they have all these thresholds you must meet to get in. To my mind, the DEGC represents the OLD way of thinking. What should be in these buildings? How about starting with the recording studio that was in one? Nope, we want BIG businesses, not this penny ante stuff.

In short, they don't want the very same "penny ante" stuff that is building up the mid-city area so successfully...

I mean, look at Midtown. Lots of medium-sized buildings, with medium-sized tenants, small tenants, small businesses, medium-sized businesses. They add up to something greater than their sum. It's wonderful to see what's happening in the mid-city area. The few big players, the university or the medical center, aren't bulldozing it like they used to, in fact, they're offering incentives for little people, renters, small businesses, to open in these buildings.

The DEGC, on the other hand, evicts small businesses. They want BIG players, BIG deals, BIG money. And they have all these thresholds you must meet to get in. To my mind, the DEGC represents the OLD way of thinking. What should be in these buildings? How about starting with the recording studio that was in one? Nope, we want BIG businesses, not this penny ante stuff.

In short, they don't want the very same "penny ante" stuff that is building up the mid-city area so successfully...
    Totally true. The DEGC represents the establishment way of developing things, which isn't really compatible with healthy growth, ironically.

Very good post DN. There needs to be a balanced approach to development that extends from downtown to neighborhoods. Small businesses like shoe repair, dry cleaning and all other convenience type stores ensure viability in a given area and are a reason for people to locate and stay in those areas. DEGC needs to generate interest from small business investors and increase
    their visibility and accessibility. I guarantee you if there were 4 or 5 stretches of small businesses injected as clusters in parts of downtown, with smartly designed awnings and attractive storefronts
    [[circa Detroit 1910 spirit) you would have a lot more people stick around these parts. Kick sum butts!

Checkin out their website, not much life in there is there; very corporate and dry and distant like. They have an analytics page denoting "drilldowns" of neighborhoods with numbers of available lots.
    Let them pander to the needs of the big fish but also do their part for the small fry that actually add character and liveability to the city.

I think downtowns are sort of a big fish kind of place. All of those buildings are really expensive projects. small frys are more of a midtown thing imo

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Very good post DN. There needs to be a balanced approach to development that extends from downtown to neighborhoods. Small businesses like shoe repair, dry cleaning and all other convenience type stores ensure viability in a given area and are a reason for people to locate and stay in those areas. DEGC needs to generate interest from small business investors and increase
    their visibility and accessibility. I guarantee you if there were 4 or 5 stretches of small businesses injected as clusters in parts of downtown, with smartly designed awnings and attractive storefronts
    [[circa Detroit 1910 spirit) you would have a lot more people stick around these parts. Kick sum butts!
    One of the reasons they look to the 'big fish' for these projects is because of the cost. I am in no way defending the actions of the DEGC, but most "small businesses," i.e. shoe repair, dry cleaning, etc, can't afford the high cost associated with these projects.

Ran across this link to an AP brief, on various media sites.

The best quote, and I HOPE this was not directly quoted from DEGC literature, is, "Planned stops for a high-speed rail system are expected in the Capitol Park area."

... unless they're saying the high-speed Det-Chi rail in New Center is part of the Capitol Park area.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/cus...37352981.story

Posted text:

Redevelop sought for 3 historic Detroit buildings

DETROIT [[AP) — Proposals are being sought to redevelop three historic buildings in downtown Detroit.

The Detroit Economic Growth Corp. and other economic development agencies say the buildings surround Capitol Park and are considered prime locations for a mix of homes, offices and retail.

The properties are the 11-story Capitol Park Building; 13-story former United Way headquarters; and eight-story Farwell Building. The three buildings were built between 1895 and 1913.

Officials say they hope to coordinate development as part of a broader vision for Detroit's downtown area.

Planned stops for a high-speed rail system are expected in the Capitol Park area.
    Developers chosen for the projects may have access to neighborhood stabilization funds, local and state tax credits, and other programs.

A pre-submittal meeting is scheduled Sept. 21. Proposals are due Oct. 14.

The October 14th deadline is aggressive.

I have no idea what the sentence, "Planned stops for a high-speed rail system are expected in the Capitol Park area" could mean. Stops? Plural? This makes it sound like it is going to be reverted into the de facto bus terminal that it used to be. And high-speed rail? Uh-huh.

That misconception aside, Capitol Park is a lovely setting with wonderful architecture surrounding a leafy park. it has a Manhattan feel. As mentioned above it offers some excellent residential opportunities. The Farwell with its large sky-lit atrium shaft would be particularly well suited.

Whatever happens I hope it succeeds, either becasue of or in spite of the DEGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I have no idea what the sentence, "Planned stops for a high-speed rail system are expected in the Capitol Park area" could mean. Stops? Plural? This makes it sound like it is going to be reverted into the de facto bus terminal that it used to be. And high-speed rail? Uh-huh.

That misconception aside, Capitol Park is a lovely setting with wonderful architecture surrounding a leafy park. it has a Manhattan feel. As mentioned above it offers some excellent residential opportunities. The Farwell with its large sky-lit atrium shaft would be particularly well suited.

Whatever happens I hope it succeeds, either becasue of or in spite of the DEGC.
    A few months ago, they were considering routing the Light Rail Line through Capitol Park and down Washington Boulevard. The fact they are saying 'high-speed rail' makes it a different story entirely. Business leaders want the rail-line to be anything but high-speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast