Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Woman Runs Down Robber

Not much coverage of this out there. 7 mile and Telegraph last night.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110823-wpms

I say way to go! Thanks for proving that anything, even a car, can be turned into a weapon.

A small rash of vigilantism has broken out in my neck of the woods as well. I think people are just sick and tired. I can't blame anyone who grabs what they can, even if it's a steering wheel, to protect themselves and their property.

Sadly this joker is probably going to sue the hell out of the victim.

Chief Godbee should pin a medal on this woman. She is a citizen who prevented him from committing any further acts of thievery and now the man got their hands on him. Kudos to the fed-up citizen.

lilpup Guest

I've often wondered about a scenario like this. She really can't claim self-defense and, I suppose, could potentially get charged with attempted murder.

I've often wondered how I'd react to a situation like this.
    The smart thing to do would be to let go because you wouldn't know if he has a weapon, but I think I'd end up chasing him down a sliding his face on the concrete.
    I can only imagine how bad it must be for people who are getting their stuff stolen on a regular basis. It must drive them insane when they see it's happening to them again.

the downside is that she didn't kill him. We're all going to pay his medical bills because I'm going to get crazy and assume he isn't covered through work.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I've often wondered about a scenario like this. She really can't claim self-defense and, I suppose, could potentially get charged with attempted murder.
    Hopefully she didn't say that she was trying to run him down, but only chase him down when she talked to the police.

I have a hard time believing a jury would convict her. I would think even a crappy defense attorney could get her off.

The woman should be hailed as a hero. It would be nice if thugs would rethink their life knowing there is a chance they will get hurt. Unfortunately, they will probably become more violent instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Hopefully she didn't say that she was trying to run him down, but only chase him down when she talked to the police.

I have a hard time believing a jury would convict her. I would think even a crappy defense attorney could get her off.
    With crime the way it is in this city, Kym Worthy wouldn't even dare press this. She would never find 12 individuals to convict.

Many homeowners in declining areas, like myself, are stuck. A harsh reality made abundantly clear by a recent attempt to refinance my mortgage for a better rate. I could actually hear the broker chuckling over the phone.

So good people are stuck in bad neighborhoods. When pushed too far even good people will resort to bad things to protect what they have.

Is there anything like neighborhood decline insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    the downside is that she didn't kill him. We're all going to pay his medical bills because I'm going to get crazy and assume he isn't covered through work.
    Hey now, that's really going out on a limb there...

I really feel for ya Hamtown Mike... when we tried selling my late mother's house on the far east side near Balduck Park... we got $600 more for it than what my parents paid for it in 1960!!!

How pathetic is that??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I really feel for ya Hamtown Mike... when we tried selling my late mother's house on the far east side near Balduck Park... we got $600 more for it than what my parents paid for it in 1960!!!

How pathetic is that??
    That's terrible. When I sold my house in that neighborhood just 8 years ago, I got $80,000 which was double what I paid for it in the early 90's. Unfortunately, this is happening everywhere now. My in-laws in Sterling Heights recently had a house a few doors down sell for $21,000, which didn't make the other homeowners feel too good about their property values.

Have you read the Self-Defense law in the State of Michigan. It was changed in the past few years.

The laws state that you have the right to use deadly force if you feel that your life is threaten.

The law state feel and does not state that your life is truly being threatened.

She can claim Self-Defense.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    Have you read the Self-Defense law in the State of Michigan. It was changed in the past few years.

The laws state that you have the right to use deadly force if you feel that your life is threaten.

The law state feel and does not state that your life is truly being threatened.

She can claim Self-Defense.
    Not when she's in her car chasing the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

How pathetic is that??
    That's exactly why I donated my mother house on the eastside to Habitat for Humanities when she died.

DPD needs to just restructure. They should mainly focus on major crimes like rape, murder, assault, arson, domestic disturbances, and things of that nature. The rest of the crime in the city should be covered by a rag tag collection of private security patrols. Individuals and neighborhoods should be able to write the cost of private security off of their property taxes. DPD has proven to be completely and utterly incompetent over DECADES under MULTIPLE administrations. I doubt even with just having to worry about only just the few types of crime I mentioned that DPD would fare any better than they do now.

lilpup Guest

The issue is more lack of support and assistance, especially from the community, than incompetence. No police department can protect citizens who don't play their part. Too many in Detroit expect government and public services to wipe their asses for them instead of taking care of themselves and their neighbors. We've had past discussions about the role a police department plays - prevention or apprehension after the fact.

The issue is more lack of support and assistance, especially from the community, than incompetence. No police department can protect citizens who don't play their part. Too many in Detroit expect government and public services to wipe their asses for them instead of taking care of themselves and their neighbors. We've had past discussions about the role a police department plays - prevention or apprehension after the fact.
    Well, the citizen who is the subject of this thread wasn't expecting the police to wipe her ass at all. Looks like she took care of the problem herself.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Well, the citizen who is the subject of this thread wasn't expecting the police to wipe her ass at all. Looks like she took care of the problem herself.
    She did if you believe potentially crippling or killing someone over a cell phone is acceptable [[which, outside of Detroit, most don't).

There are some seriously fucked up priorities in societies that sink as badly as ours is currently sinking.
    Last edited by lilpup; August-24-11 at 09:19 PM.

Not when she's in her car chasing the guy.
    In Michigan, if she felt that her life was in danger, IT IS LEGAL TO USE DEADLY FORCE. CHECK THE LAW!

SHE CAN ALSO MAKE A CITIZENS ARREST.

lilpup Guest

Get it through your head - her life was not in danger. Yes, she can make a citizens arrest but not by running over someone.

She did if you believe potentially crippling or killing someone over a cell phone is acceptable [[which, outside of Detroit, most don't).

There are some seriously fucked up priorities in societies that sink as badly as ours is currently sinking.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. When you are the victim of theft, you feel violated. You feel violated because someone would dare enter your space and take what's yours.

Here's a scenario. You park your car and you go into the store. A would-be robber is lurking and bingo there's your car. The crook breaks the window and in he goes. As the feet of the thief sticks out of the window, here you come and you see the robber in your car. Do you.....

A) Run and call the police
    or
    B) Approach said robber and beat the shit out of him

You could call the police but the thief has fled with your goods. Human nature mandates that you would go the B route because the violation sets in your mind and you are angry. You are mad as hell and you have the thief in your sights. If you are a man, you want to rip his throat out for costing you money to steal something of no value yet this thief didn't care that he or she would force you to come out your pocket to replace the window that was busted out. If you are a woman, you know that you can't physically beat down a man so you will use whatever weapon is available. In the case of the lady, she had her car and she used it. Good for her.

Most don't inside of Detroit either. I doubt people feel as unsafe and desperate outside of Detroit as they do inside Detroit. This has largely to do with the lack of police presence in much of the city. Yes, citizens do need to work with the police more. It's not one sided though, and I meant to put a disclaimer in my original post that I'm not attacking any individual police officers. When I say DPD is incompetent, I'm talking about how it is run. Surely, Detroit is not the only city in this country with its demographics. It is however one that can never get its crime situation under control.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. When you are the victim of theft, you feel violated. You feel violated because someone would dare enter your space and take what's yours.

Here's a scenario. You park your car and you go into the store. A would-be robber is lurking and bingo there's your car. The crook breaks the window and in he goes. As the feet of the thief sticks out of the window, here you come and you see the robber in your car. Do you.....

A) Run and call the police
    or
    B) Approach said robber and beat the shit out of him

You could call the police but the thief has fled with your goods. Human nature mandates that you would go the B route because the violation sets in your mind and you are angry. You are mad as hell and you have the thief in your sights. If you are a man, you want to rip his throat out for costing you money to steal something of no value yet this thief didn't care that he or she would force you to come out your pocket to replace the window that was busted out. If you are a woman, you know that you can't physically beat down a man so you will use whatever weapon is available. In the case of the lady, she had her car and she used it. Good for her.
    I just wanted to add "especially when you KNOW they won't show up."

lilpup Guest

When you are the victim of theft, you feel violated. You feel violated because someone would dare enter your space and take what's yours.
    Agreed.

Human nature mandates that you would go the B route because the violation sets in your mind and you are angry. You are mad as hell and you have the thief in your sights. If you are a man, you want to rip his throat out for costing you money to steal something of no value yet this thief didn't care that he or she would force you to come out your pocket to replace the window that was busted out. If you are a woman, you know that you can't physically beat down a man so you will use whatever weapon is available. In the case of the lady, she had her car and she used it. Good for her.
    This reactionary, uncivil behavior - acting out of negative emotions instead of showing self-control - is exactly why Detroit has so many of the issues it does. One shouldn't be acting on every emotion one feels. That's the difference between civil society and a crime-ridden shithole.
    Last edited by lilpup; August-24-11 at 09:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast