Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cannabis Compassion Clubs Are Illegal Now

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28961177/detail.html

According to a 3-judge panel, patient-to-patient transfers may be sanctioned within the Medical Marijuana law, but clearinghouses which help establish these relationships are not covered under existing law.

So they must be illegal.

Funny thing...used to be if something wasn't covered in a law, it was allowed. We are totally living in Orwell's 1984 storyline...everything is backwards.

The world's most ubiquitous herb [[or weed), Mother Nature's Most Amusing Analgesic [[and probable cancer cure), remains outside polite society's understanding and tolerance. The spirit of prohibition lives on, giving those law-mongers continual right to rain down their judgement on those who wish to live naturally. <sigh>

So, watch out, those in Compassion Clubs everywhere...they are gunning for you next. As soon as the jackbooted thugs get done policing those renegade outlaw raw milk sellers...lookout!

No cheers on this one...

They said on the noon news, that as they interpret the law now, there cannot be a licensed patient to patient transfer. But, you can pick up your medicinal weed from a doctor or pharmacy.

So, get out those CVS customer cards, or wait 1 1/2 hours at your doctors office, with a substantial office charge.

Our high courts side with the corporate powers that be - again.

One only wishes they'd be high publicly, not just privately.

[[remembering that story of the judge from up north who was busted passing a joint at some concert at Pine Knob a few years back. I know the place has a different, corporate name now, but it will not be spoken by me!)

DetroitPole Guest

The obsession with marijuana in this country is disturbing. I don't use it myself, but I sure have, and I can think of few things that are less harmful to society.

Give me five minutes - seriously five minutes - and I can score some pot illegally. Like everybody else.

Stop wasting resources this state and country doesn't have going after pot. Hell, the snack food industry could use the boost.

Just had a hankering for some Uncle Ray's Coney flavored chips ... mmmm.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    The obsession with marijuana in this country is disturbing. I don't use it myself, but I sure have, and I can think of few things that are less harmful to society.

Give me five minutes - seriously five minutes - and I can score some pot illegally. Like everybody else.

Stop wasting resources this state and country doesn't have going after pot. Hell, the snack food industry could use the boost.

Absolutely! I actually do qualify for medical marijuana, but I would never get the card. I'm sure your name ends up on a list somewhere that both the Feds and State would love to have their hands on. Plus with an AG like we have now, he's willingly hand it over.

I'll continue doing it the old fashioned way, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Just had a hankering for some Uncle Ray's Coney flavored chips ... mmmm.

Somet'in' you're not yet telling us, Gnomeister?!

To quote Homer Simpson.....

"Mmmmmmmmmm Donuts...."

Busting anything connected to weed seems to be a crusade for our attorney general.

Doctors and Pharmacies don't have marijuana and don't dispense it. You need a licensed caregiver for that. You'd have to get your weed from your caregiver...that's the purpose of having a licensed caregiver

Asset forfeiture laws are driving this senseless war on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Doctors and Pharmacies don't have marijuana and don't dispense it. You need a licensed caregiver for that. You'd have to get your weed from your caregiver...that's the purpose of having a licensed caregiver
    Ok..i don't get it. so if you are a licensed caregiver, can you sell pot? Where does the properly registered medical mj user get their pot? do they have to grow it themselves?

The Michigan AG in the past, has said all he wants to do is clarify the law. So far everybody is more confused than ever before. They will bust you, and say ignorance of the law is no excuse. Just the way they like to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Ok..i don't get it. so if you are a licensed caregiver, can you sell pot? Where does the properly registered medical mj user get their pot? do they have to grow it themselves?
    There are 2 licenses:

Caregiver - can grow and sell to patients that have the caregiver listed as their caregiver.
    Patient - can buy from their listed caregiver. They cannot grow their own weed without being a caregiver also.

AFAIK you can have both licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    There are 2 licenses:

Caregiver - can grow and sell to patients that have the caregiver listed as their caregiver.
    Patient - can buy from their listed caregiver. They cannot grow their own weed without being a caregiver also.

AFAIK you can have both licenses.
    Am I being ridiculous in saying that the court ruling kind of makes sense then? The people amended the constitution to allow for medicinal marijuana. The amendment did not legalize pot. I mean, were I prescribed vicodin, I couldn't sell it to my friend....why should I be able to sell my pot?

To me, the real issue is this:
    Michigan's law doesn't indicate how people who are allowed to use marijuana for medical purposes can get hold of supplies. It says they can possess up to 2.5 ounces of "usable" pot and keep up to 12 plants in a locked place.
    So if I have a pot card...where do I get "legal" pot?
    Last edited by bailey; August-24-11 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Asset forfeiture laws are driving this senseless war on drugs.
    Here here. reason.com has some good articles on that topic. A guy was driving through Illinois and was pulled over for speeding. He had around ten grand in cash from a car he just sold [[had the paperwork and everything.) The cops searched his car, found the cash and immediately confiscated it, assuming he was a drug dealer with scant other evidence.

Even after a court decided he wasn't a drug dealer, the police kept the money - he had to hire a lawyer and sue to get it back.

The police department seems to have become primarily a source of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Am I being ridiculous in saying that the court ruling kind of makes sense then? The people amended the constitution to allow for medicinal marijuana. The amendment did not legalize pot. I mean, were I prescribed vicodin, I couldn't sell it to my friend....why should I be able to sell my pot?

To me, the real issue is this:

So if I have a pot card...where do I get "legal" pot?
    Thanks Bailey, that has been my problem with this licensing from the beginning. Since buying and selling seeds and clones is still illegal, how do you legally get started once you have your license? Add to that the fact that your name is now in some database somewhere advertising the fact you grow weed. No thanks.

Why anyone would want to register with Big Brother? Until it is completely legalized, I'll just text the same guy I've been getting from for about 20 years now without any hassle at all, and probably less expensive as well.

I've got a question about the database issue. I understand the caution that some have with registering; however, wouldn't this list be covered under HIPPA and/or other "doctor/patient" confidentiality?

The State has gladly cashed the checks for registering. Shouldn't they some how be included as aiding and abiding?

HIPPA only covers individuals' medical records, which registering for these licenses via the state isn't considered.

Further, although the term caregiver has been given for the licenses to grow, HIPPA only applies to health care care providers, health plans, and health care clearinghouses that transmit information electronically.

Now that the compassion clubs are illegal by law, and the medical marijuana trade is now back on the street corner operated by criminals/thugs, can we expect them to use the same "Code of Conduct" as the Compassion Club Association?

Members of the MACC have established a standard of operation known as the Code of Ethics. Every member has agreed to abide by these guidelines and any patient that enters a MACC certified establishment can expect the establishment to do the following:
    * Check the patient’s paperwork every time
    * Provide a safe place to obtain medication
    * To have safe and secure method of after-hours storage of all medication
    * To offer cameras or other surveillance/protection equipment
    * Provide for handicapped parking
    * Provide advice on the varying effects of different strains of medication
    * To never possess an amount of medication that exceeds the MMMA’s limitations
    * To enter into a compact with their caregivers and the patients that is well-defined and can in no way be described as deceptive or misleading
    * To refuse to accept patients with questionable or missing paperwork and to verify the validity of patient certifications whenever necessary
    * To prohibit suspicious or dangerous activity in parking areas or common areas
    * To prevent minors from entering the facilities unless accompanied by their adult parent or legal guardian
    * To make every effort to screen out medication that is moldy, unhealthy, or not medical grade
    * To restrict consumption on the premises unless that activity is approved through local government
    * To be a good community citizen by sponsoring local charities, events, and festivals
    * To actively promote events and candidates for office that forward the cause of medical marijuana and its acceptance in local society
    * To make facilities as handicapped-accessible as local ordinance requires
    * To provide assistance to any patient, member or not, who require forms or information from the MDCH
    * To provide accurate answers and friendly dialog in media interviews, including accepting the responsibility of referring some questions to other authorities
    * Enforce a strict no-transfer policy in the parking area or on the grounds.
    http://www.bigmacc.com/content/code-ethics

Jimaz -

I've noticed that you have been stuck at 3,317 posts listed for many months now. Is that to prevent you getting a Detroityes gold watch or something?

I don't understand how the voters can make something legal, but then the courts make it illegal to obtain it.

Sure you can smoke it, but you better not buy it!

Gannon as well as my ex gf have been debating the whole "I dont want to be on a list" thing. Many of you know Im a pretty open book [[wide open). I say if everyone would just fess up and sign up they would be overwhelmed with pot users making it impossible for them to keep up with all us outlaws.

Theyve got the guns but we got the numbers, come on baby......

Oh yeah, as I understand the vague law, caregivers can be paid to grow for you but selling the pot outright is a no no.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast