Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nick Ashford of Ashford and Simpson Has Passed Away [[8/22/11)

I debated on putting this in Non-Detroit, but he and his wife produced a lot of Marvin Gaye's records and they were a part of Motown, I thought it would only be fitting to put it here.

For those who may not be familiar with them, they were a popular Duo especially during the late 70s and early 80s, and although likely best for their hit Solid [[As A Rock), they did have other moderate hits, such as Street Lose, Found a Cure, Don't Cost Ya Nothing and It Seems to Hang On.

The Duo also produced many of Marvin Gaye's and Tammi Terrell's biggest hits, including Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing.

According to the AP, he passed away from complication of his throat cancer in New York.

Ohhh wow! Sad, I loved their music... great song and memories. Lots of good music and writing from this duo.

So sad, RIP

awww, very sad

Some of us are having quite a listening party on Facebook -- Ashford & Simpson's stuff, and the stuff they wrote for others.

I heard they were the kindest, nicest people. Never heard a bad word about them. May God be with Val, their family & their friends tonight.

RIP Nick. In my opinion, the music from the 70's was the best ever from all genre

Ravine Guest

"Famous" & "entertainment industry" are seldom found in the same paragraph as "married for decades."

Condolences to Valerie Simpson and all other loved ones.

He was raised in Willow Run, so I guess it's safe to put on this side.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    He was raised in Willow Run, so I guess it's safe to put on this side.
    Why? Willow Run is not Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Why? Willow Run is not Detroit.
    I never said it was Detroit. But I think the rule is that Metro Detroit related stories are fair game on this side.

Ain't no mountain high enough,
    Ain't no mountain low enough,
    Ain't no river wide enough,
    From gettin' me there to you, baby!

Detroit and Motown will miss you so Ashford. You were one of the great soundwriters in the world.

Ashford and Simpson is SOLID! as a rock

listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEC04BfqMy0