Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Thin blue line: Get Detroit cops on streets

Where is a cop when you need one in Detroit? Probably not on the streets.

In fact, an analysis of law enforcement in the city found only about half of the police force does patrol duty, and those who do spend almost half of each shift filing reports, transporting prisoners or waiting around for detectives or other specialized personnel.

The report, by a globally known consulting firm, landed on Mayor Dave Bing's desk nearly a year ago, long before the intense spate of murders and shootings made this one of the most violent summers in recent memory.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110821/COL33/108210446/

The report
    http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4178357819.PDF

It's one thing if the lack of officers is due a lack of money, but this really pisses me that this report be around for a year and also nothing has been done. Just as with recent spat of dowtown shooting and letter writing campaign the ensued I would encourage you write the mayor, the police chief etc to get of their ass and make these changes. Also I know there were skeptical about the false alarm changes, but according to stats of the report it really was a problem.
    Last edited by MSUguy; August-22-11 at 06:03 PM.