ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GAR Building

Name:  photo[[1).jpg
Views: 2824
Size:  41.7 KBName:  photo[[2).jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  31.4 KB

Couple of photos of the dudes working near the top of the building.

Agreed. There's little that is sentimental about drafty glass panes, only GIANT expense bills. Where not talking leaded glass treatments in this case of this wonderful building, so ditch the old glass which is useless to hold in heat or cooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Are those windows going to be treated at all so they're not leaking heat and cold? I live in a house built around the same era and a lot of the windows were original when my parents moved into this house. They spent a fortune on heat and AC for several years until the windows were replaced. It would make sense maybe to keep the frames, but windows are windows unless they're curved I don't see any reason to keep them when they're a potential financial burdon

The current ideas on old windows and repair is the glass is not where the energy is lost. It's air leakage around the windows. Approx 85% of energy is lost through air leakage. This issue is being addressed in the restoration. This true in pretty much any older home or buildings. Many old yet solid wood windows are replaced every year with new products.The only "advantage" of these products is the glass and less maintanence. They have a much shorter expected life than an old growth wood window. These appear to be Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    The current ideas on old windows and repair is the glass is not where the energy is lost. It's air leakage around the windows. Approx 85% of energy is lost through air leakage. This issue is being addressed in the restoration. This true in pretty much any older home or buildings. Many old yet solid wood windows are replaced every year with new products.The only "advantage" of these products is the glass and less maintanence. They have a much shorter expected life than an old growth wood window. These appear to be Mahogany
    Thanks for the the info klep, mighty kind of you to share! Great to see them working on the building and employing some locals!

The environmental work is underway. Just waiting on some final details and real work will begin. I get busy next week repairing damage caused by "tourists" over the years. Please leave the abandoned buildings alone. Worst physical damage was done by weather that came through access points left open to the elements

No, the damage is caused by transients with no respect, and scrappers.

The 'tourists' and such that I know respect the properties which have been left fallow in the city.

We will never leave abandoned buildings alone.

It is repayment for land speculators holding them in limbo instead of keeping them viable.

Thank the entity who owned the building your employers, don't blame those who do what has been natural to the human species forever.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; February-11-12 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No, the damage is caused by transients with no respect, and scrappers.

The 'tourists' and such that I know respect the properties which have been left fallow in the city.

We will never leave abandoned buildings alone.

It is repayment for land speculators holding them in limbo instead of keeping them viable.

Thank the entity who owned the building your employers, don't blame those who do what has been natural to the human species forever.

Sincerely,
    John

I think the GAR building is in a class of it's own when it comes to ownership. This was not a building left to rot by some speculant in the hopes of selling it for a profit. This was a building left alone for ideologic principals.

Having talked to the new owners on a number of occasions, they are absolutely in love with the building, and never gave up on getting the right to renovate her. Let's hear it for Sean, David & Tom over at Mindfield

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Having talked to the new owners on a number of occasions, they are absolutely in love with the building, and never gave up on getting the right to renovate her. Let's hear it for Sean, David & Tom over at Mindfield
    Hip, hip, hurrah!!!

They are really great guys. They love the building and the city

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    No, the damage is caused by transients with no respect, and scrappers.The 'tourists' and such that I know respect the properties which have been left fallow in the city.We will never leave abandoned buildings alone.It is repayment for land speculators holding them in limbo instead of keeping them viable.Thank the entity who owned the building your employers, don't blame those who do what has been natural to the human species forever.Sincerely,John
    John I hope you're full of sarcasm. Because otherwise you read like a someone who doesn't realize the harm trespassing does. Lack of maintenance is a problem yes, but Detroiturbex.com posted a photo of the well sealed "Freepress Building" and it looks pristine. As did the Ford Theater for the most part. Stay the hell out, don't break the law just because someone else [[ie. slumlords) do

My sentiments exactly. Stay out. Don't open the wormhole so other people a little less caring than you see a potential access.

Sidestory, or maybe not.

Today I was talking to a collegue of mine about the moment that past last week. The last living verified veteran of the first world war died last week and in such the last living link of that conflict between 1914 and 1918 was lost.

It didn't take long to for me to start searching for last veterans of other conflicts. [[Hail Wiki!) It turns out that the last Union soldier lived until 1956. His name was Albert Woolson. And shortly after his death, the GAR movement was dissolved. Figures, since he was the last living member of it....

There's a great panorama picture of Campus Martius at the GAR wiki site.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-15-12 at 03:56 PM.

There were at least two civil war widows who made it into the second millennium, though:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0908934.html

As many in this thread have stated, a truly beautiful building. I have never lived in Detroit, but parents, grandparents and great grandparents did. When I visited a few years ago to do research at your library, I was struck by what incredibly beautiful buildings you had, sadly standing vacant. I can only hope that as many as possible are saved, because there won't be anything like them again.

New blog from Mindfield

http://gardetroit.posterous.com/

Structural repairs are going well. Years of water getting in through roof has wreaked havoc on the wood in this building. I'm always amazed at the skill of the old carpenters. We're trying to save as much as we can. Old growth lumber sure can take a licken. Neglect a new built for 30 years and you have pile of moosh. Thanks for the Mindfield link

Wow that seemed to take forever. Major structural and roof leaks nearly done. Getting started on the windows soon.Great help from Blight Busters. Have alot of old lumber to do cool stuff with. Found some great artifacts. One being a marble slab thanking Detroit leaders for getting the GAR built.

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    Wow that seemed to take forever. Major structural and roof leaks nearly done. Getting started on the windows soon.Great help from Blight Busters. Have alot of old lumber to do cool stuff with. Found some great artifacts. One being a marble slab thanking Detroit leaders for getting the GAR built.
    Sounds great!

It will be a great day in Detroit when this iconic building is restored to its grand beauty.

Sounds like the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be partnering with the GAR development...and will be providing uniformed Civil War reenactors for the blg's dedication ceremony planned for Veteran's Day of 2013.

im told that "On the first floor they will have a small cafe
    restaurant keeping in the original lease agreements that the GAR had with the
    City. The roofing rafters that had to be replaced the wood is being sent to
    company that will create furniture of the period the wood is from and the story
    of where the wood came from. The main stairs, stair wells and landings walls will be dedicated to decade by decade pictorial history of the Detroit GAR."

Excellent news for the city WaCoTS. There is a lot about Detroit that needs attention, but all of this proves there are people who can and will handle the hard task of saving and enhancing old structures.

I also have to agree with those who say; Keep off private property. I am not a fan of this kind of exploration. For one thing, if you do defend trespassing, you have to expect and accept someone breaking into your house while you are away...

Curbed has new pics of the interior:

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...iture.php#more

The restaurant that recently opened in the G.A.R., Republic, is getting rave reviews on yelp. A great way, if maybe the only way, to experience the building up close and personal while having a great meal. I look forward to eating here sometime soon.

Default Upmarket boozing sessions at the GAR Building?

Has this development been discussed on D-Yes before? Last I heard, there was only some talk of replacing the boarded-up GAR exterior with new boards.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-furniture.php

It was always obvious to me that the GAR Building [[close to Downtown, Midtown, Foxtown and entertainment venues) was in an ideal location and a manageable re-furb at the same time.
    Last edited by night-timer; March-03-15 at 04:37 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast