Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Two Million -- Again

"Notes: Sunday’s attendance of 43,388 put the Tigers over 2 million fans for the seventh straight season. " -- AP

Lowell, put this into Detroit Sports if you want, but since hardly anyone goes there any more, I'd like to shout, "Thanks, Tigers' fans, you're great!!: from out here in Nevada.

[[We have the cable bb package so see nearly every Tigers' game. Bless you, boys!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Bless you, boys!
    I love how old school you are, good sir. I haven't heard that phrase in two decades lol

Austin Jackson's clutch throw to home for a game-ending, series-sweeping double play in the 9th inning. God I love baseball.

Ray do you have Cox cable? I'm looking for the best ways to follow our teams out in Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Austin Jackson's clutch throw to home for a game-ending, series-sweeping double play in the 9th inning. God I love baseball.
    i was pretty pissed when they traded granderson for jackson but when he stole a couple of home runs recently well, i guess i'll eat my words. hubby and son are always right.....at least when it comes to sports

Having over 2 million fans attend yet again, especially in this economic climate is a testiment to what a great sports town Detroit is.

Hey Ray, did Papa Grande give you a flashback to the Fernando Rodney days in today's 9th inning?

... well there certainly isn't any boycott about folks not going to Comerica Park.... since the demise of Tiger Stadium... although I do miss the old ballpark...

The Milwaukee Brewers have drawn 3 million this year in a much smaller market.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Party pooper...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... well there certainly isn't any boycott about folks not going to Comerica Park.... since the demise of Tiger Stadium... although I do miss the old ballpark...
    I know a few who are still boycotting Comerica Park due to the closing of Tiger Stadium. I would love to be in that group, and I truely tried to save Tiger Stadium and help find an alternate use for the site.

However I like the Tigers, Baseball and having something to do after work in the Summer, so Im a season Ticket Holder.

I'll give Comerica Park credit, they got the parking situation right, the concourses are nice and wide, I enjoy sitting in the over sized seats at the Tigers Den, and I like the statue of Ernie Harwell when you walk in the main enterance.

However with that said, you'll never be able to replace over 100 years of histrory, and the way the interior of Tiger Stadium looked. All the things that people said where bad, such as the steel I beams in the seating area, are what gave that place charector and is why people loved the place like they did.

As far as Comerica, we don't don't need the Merry Go Round for Kids, Luxury Party Suites, and that Glass box above Right field where they serve all that fancy food.

Can anyone explain to me why $5 hot and nasty Little Caesar Pizzas cost $13 at Comerica Park?

bartock Guest

This is funny. At current attendance figures they will likely break 3 million. But, their stadium holds 42,000 people. For them to have hit 3 million through 60 home games games they would have had to average 50,000 a game, which they haven't. And, there are a few other things going on in Detroit than in Milwaukee. It is pretty remarkable that this area can host a million people up and down Woodward, a major air show, and still sell out 130,000 tickets to a weekend series during peak vacation season.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Party pooper...
    Thank you, thank you and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    This is funny. At current attendance figures they will likely break 3 million. But, their stadium holds 42,000 people. For them to have hit 3 million through 60 home games games they would have had to average 50,000 a game, which they haven't. And, there are a few other things going on in Detroit than in Milwaukee. It is pretty remarkable that this area can host a million people up and down Woodward, a major air show, and still sell out 130,000 tickets to a weekend series during peak vacation season.
    I have difficulty making sense out of your post. You seem to be going back and forth between the Tigers and the Brewers.

bartock Guest

I have difficulty making sense out of your post. You seem to be going back and forth between the Tigers and the Brewers.
    You got it. How's this:

Part One: you are wrong, the Brewers have not hit 3 million attendance this year already. http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

[[They are 9th in attendance. Detroit is 13th. Nobody has drawn 3 million yet.)

Part Two. "And, there are a few other things going on in Detroit than in Milwaukee." You can follow the rest.

I believe the success of the Tigers draw this year demonstrates the fickleness of the fan and their capacity to jump on the bandwagon. They are drawing because of the success of the team on the field not because of the loyalty of the fans to their team. To experience that you would need to be a Lions fan. Lions fans have consistently followed their team despite losing season after losing season. I'm not a Lions fan and wouldn't cross the street to go see them. That being said, you cannot deny the loyalty of the fans to their team, much more so than any other sports franchise in the Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    You got it. How's this:

Part One: you are wrong, the Brewers have not hit 3 million attendance this year already. [URL]http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance[/

[[They are 9th in attendance. Detroit is 13th. Nobody has drawn 3 million yet.)

Part Two. "And, there are a few other things going on in Detroit than in Milwaukee." You can follow the rest.
    The Brewers probably will draw that many.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/98142.aspx

The claim that there is more to do in Detroit is an assumption.
    Last edited by eno; August-22-11 at 09:28 AM.

The Brewers also have a larger stadium and host the Cubs for ten times this year. Those that follow NL baseball on the N side of Chicago and can't get into the Cubs games and may find it easier to get to Milwaukee to see games.

bartock Guest

The Brewers probably will draw that many.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/forums/t/98142.aspx

The claim that there is more to do in Detroit is an assumption.
    "probably will" and "have drawn" are two different things.

Until you made your second post I was wondering what the point was.

agrahlma Guest

The Brewers could pull 10 million fans by the end of the season and I couldn’t care less. They were cool when they had Gorman Thomas and played in the A.L. [[LOL) – now they’re just another National League team GO TIGERS!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Brewers also have a larger stadium and host the Cubs for ten times this year. Those that follow NL baseball on the N side of Chicago and can't get into the Cubs games and may find it easier to get to Milwaukee to see games.
    http://espn.go.com/travel/stadium/_/.../comerica-park

http://espn.go.com/travel/stadium/_/.../8/miller-park

A difference of 645 seats between the two stadiums.
    Last edited by eno; August-22-11 at 11:13 AM.

How does this change my assertion? Miller Park is still larger. There are probably 50 games a year there so thats 30,000 more potential people it can hold and its close to other AL teams meaning folks would be willing to drive longer distances to get to games. Miller Park is also harder to get to from the CBD, but that does not address my original assertion either.

I believe the success of the Tigers draw this year demonstrates the fickleness of the fan and their capacity to jump on the bandwagon. They are drawing because of the success of the team on the field not because of the loyalty of the fans to their team. To experience that you would need to be a Lions fan. Lions fans have consistently followed their team despite losing season after losing season. I'm not a Lions fan and wouldn't cross the street to go see them. That being said, you cannot deny the loyalty of the fans to their team, much more so than any other sports franchise in the Detroit area.
    It's a lot easier to follow a bad NFL team as opposed to the MLB team because of the time involved. A 16 game football season is equal to two and half weeks of the baseball season.

What's so great about supporting a bad sports teams? If you want your sports team to get better the best thing you can do is not show up for the games. If an owner knows he's going to fill up his stadium regardless of the product he puts out there what's his motivation to get better?

The Brewers have been awful for about 30 years. Now they are suddenly good, so they are drawing better. This is the definition of bandwagon fans. The Tigers consistently draw well, regardless of their success on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    Ray do you have Cox cable? I'm looking for the best ways to follow our teams out in Vegas
    Yes, with the baseball package. Costs an extra $188 a season for all the games, well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast