Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stuntman dies at Selfridge show.

A stuntman attempting a plane to helicopter transfer fell to his death.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44220782...ws-detroit_mi/
    I was at the show yesterday.

Default Sad, but one of the risks

Listening to the news right now and there was another airshow death in Kansas City and New Jersey as wel. It is sad for the families and friends, but let's be real here. When we do risky things, there is a high probability of things going wrong leading to tragedies like these...

Yea, being a stuntman, it happens. It's sad when it does... but at least he died doing something he enjoyed doing.

Word animated. Im sure hes got a smile on his face where ever he is.

Tragic, but what an amazing daredevil. How do you even practice for a stunt like that. He's for sure smiling, he lived life to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Im sure hes got a smile on his face where ever he is.
    It's probably imprinted on the ground out there.

The lowest base jumping record is 102 feet. No parachute?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Now that is funny. Im sure stuntman would get a kick out of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    A stuntman attempting a plane to helicopter transfer fell to his death.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44220782...ws-detroit_mi/
    I was at the show yesterday.
    I've never been to one of these air shows, how far away are the spectators from this guy hitting the ground?
    Was he that close to the ground that some sort of parachute wouldn't have helped?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I've never been to one of these air shows, how far away are the spectators from this guy hitting the ground?
    Was he that close to the ground that some sort of parachute wouldn't have helped?

I think he fell 200ft. I would wonder if he even wore a chute. I doubt it.

Russix, that base jumper probably had the rip cord in their hand and yanked it the second their feet left. And totally expecting it, I might add.

This guy is focused on jumping from one craft to another. When you miss, there's that second of "You gotta be kidding me?!?!?!" Then getting you bearings enough to pull that cord.
    Then its too late to do anything about it.

One brave sonumbidge. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    i really don't think that was an appropriate thing to say. his kids and other family members were there to witness it.
    Last edited by Maof; August-21-11 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    i really don't think that was an appropriate thing to say. his kids and other family members were there to witness it.
    More than likely they would appreciate this, as they were well aware of his profession and the risks involved. The family more than likely had come to terms with this scenario a long time before it happened.

RIP to the stuntman, condolences to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    More than likely they would appreciate this, as they were well aware of his profession and the risks involved. The family more than likely had come to terms with this scenario a long time before it happened.

well, i could see that he died loving what he did but his "imprint on the ground"?

Dr. Emil Guest

There was probably a perfectly good seat on that plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

They would APPRECIATE that comment? You mean the absolutely insensitive and thoughtless joke made at the expense of a man who lost his life.

Somehow I doubt that.

His family definitely realized the risks. But, I'm sure they still loved him and looked forward to having him around and wanted him to live past the risks he took every day.

You think that because he died doing something risky that his family, his children just shrugged their shoulders and said 'ah, well, we saw that coming'? Seriously? No, they're mourning just like anybody else mourns that loses a family member. Even if his family members had pictured a scenario like this happening, what they saw yesterday had to be a million times worse than anything they had ever imagined.

Unreal.

Well stated....
    Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    His family definitely realized the risks. But, I'm sure they still loved him and looked forward to having him around and wanted him to live past the risks he took every day.

just got the macomb daily out of the mailbox and was hit with a photo of this guy falling to his death. i find this to be just terrible. freedom of press is one thing but respect for his family and friends is another. totally wrong in my opinion.

just got the macomb daily out of the mailbox and was hit with a photo of this guy falling to his death. i find this to be just terrible. freedom of press is one thing but respect for his family and friends is another. totally wrong in my opinion.
    I think that's the same reasoning they wouldn't show the coffins of dead soldiers returning from Iraq. Might upset the family...

At least it was just a photo. The news last night had the actual video clip of him falling on heavy rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think that's the same reasoning they wouldn't show the coffins of dead soldiers returning from Iraq. Might upset the family...
    Well, yes. but the policy for not showing the coffins was political... it was precisely because the nation would get upset, upset the families and maybe people would start asking why we're bring home kids in boxes....and we can't have all that un american questioning of our imperial leaders.

Showing a stunt man tumbling to his death is another discussion. I thought it was in incredibly bad taste. especially the video on the news. I mean c'mon, is there no sense of decency?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, yes. but the policy for not showing the coffins was political... it was precisely because the nation would get upset, upset the families and maybe people would start asking why we're bring home kids in boxes....and we can't have all that un american questioning of our imperial leaders.

Showing a stunt man tumbling to his death is another discussion. I thought it was in incredibly bad taste. especially the video on the news. I mean c'mon, is there no sense of decency?
    Well, it would make me think twice about being a stuntman. Being horrified by reality often produces, shall we say, informed choices?

I'm not being facetious. Censorship is a serious matter, and the effects of it often outstrip mere offenses against good taste. If you have a sense of decency, you might look away.

well, i could see that he died loving what he did but his "imprint on the ground"?
    Technically, it was the imprint of his smile we were discussing.

Maybe we were a little heartless, but I think the stuntman would still get a kick out of the discussion. The family maybe not so much. I usually dont make fun of the death of anyone but this is someone whose entire life revolved taunting death in the face. Im sure he would/is a good sport about losing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    At least it was just a photo. The news last night had the actual video clip of him falling on heavy rotation.
    Way too much! I saw it on Fox 2 who ran it what seemed to be at least 5 times for their top story at 10 pm. It seemed like it took him forever to fall, so watching it was surreal & horrifying, especially since you knew the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Technically, it was the imprint of his smile we were discussing.

Maybe we were a little heartless, but I think the stuntman would still get a kick out of the discussion. The family maybe not so much. I usually dont make fun of the death of anyone but this is someone whose entire life revolved taunting death in the face. Im sure he would/is a good sport about losing this one.
    yes d...i was very surprised to hear something like that coming from you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast