Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Burgers & Bullets: Retired Cop Kills Gunman at Detroit McDonald's

Armed teenager shot during robbery by retired cop...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110819-wpms

PS. Headline of this thread is from news story....

Darn, why does it always happen to kids who : "He was a good kid. I see him everyday," said Larry Brooks. "I've never known him to carry a gun or none of that. I know of no criminal activity that he's been involved in." The uncle of the deceased teen said the family is stunned.

One of the things I wish the local tv stations could handle better is there practice of throwing a mic at a grieving parent as soon as they find out their loved one was killed doing something they were not supposed to be doing

I guess the stations want to show the raw emotions of the people involved in this. However that does nothing for me. I either feel like the parents privacy has been invaded, or my intelligence insulted with excuses for the child's behavior.

A police officer at the scene explaination of the incident, what went down and what happened as a result is good enough for me.

People in their grief over something their loved one did naturally want to assign blame to someone else and because of the emotion involved aren't really inclined to look into the mirror

The TV coverage in my mind puts the victims family in a bad light especially when the victim was the perp.

A damn shame all around.

I go to that McDonalds fairly often.

Service was good[[although it seemed all they hired were little girls). They didn't have that stupid plexiglass[[I don't do business with establishments that have em).

I'm sure that's going to change.

I won't ever celebrate a death. Just refuse to do it.

But it does seem there is one less predator terrorizing Detroit.

I agree. The camera-in-the-face-move adds little to the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    One of the things I wish the local tv stations could handle better is there practice of throwing a mic at a grieving parent as soon as they find out their loved one was killed doing something they were not supposed to be doing...
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-11 at 09:28 AM.

The fact that he chose to rob a McDonalds is very disturbing as that venue tends to cater to children and families. This could have bowed in many directions. None of them good!

As a rule I DO NOT GO INTO FAST FOOD places when I do eat the junk - urban or suburban. I do the 'drive thru' only and the plexiglass places are crazy too as the violence could just be upon the customers while the safely 'insulated' staff look on behind the glass.

The Mickey Ds on Davison and Linwood is glassed-up. This one will probably do the same behind this.
    Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    A damn shame all around.

I go to that McDonalds fairly often.

Service was good[[although it seemed all they hired were little girls). They didn't have that stupid plexiglass[[I don't do business with establishments that have em).

I'm sure that's going to change.

I won't ever celebrate a death. Just refuse to do it.

But it does seem there is one less predator terrorizing Detroit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-11 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ThThe Mickey Ds on Davison and Linwood is glassed-up. This one will probably do the same behind this.
    All of the McDonalds, and possibly all the fast food restaurants, will be glassed up very soon, much like all of the bank branches in the city have those huge vaults where they make you empty out all of your metal items before they let you enter.

Pretty ugly. The response to expanding crime. Like some CVS stores no longer have ATM machines. I call in most of my food orders to carry out places that don't have a drive thru. Then I can just drive to the place get my food and leave... Good idea to 'look' into the establishment BEFORE going in to make sure something is not going down... sad times indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    All of the McDonalds, and possibly all the fast food restaurants, will be glassed up very soon, much like all of the bank branches in the city have those huge vaults where they make you empty out all of your metal items before they let you enter.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-11 at 12:07 PM.

'One of the things I wish the local tv stations could handle better is there practice of throwing a mic at a grieving parent as soon as they find out their loved one was killed doing something they were not supposed to be doing"

I entirely agree. This disgusting tactic can only be at the direction of a Management that instructs their reporters to take the low road and prey on the anguish of the bereaved at their time of maximum grief. Such reporters are ghouls accentuating the relative's misery for money.There must be numerous times when the bereaved, in their misery, shove the mic back in the reporter's faces; but they never show us those; and those are the only ones I care to see. Is it News that a parent weeps and grieves for their recently killed son?

Its sad, you can't even go a sit down restaurant in Detroit anymore to enjoy a meal. Maybe someone can take a crack at this. Think of all the sit down dining rooms in Detroit that aren't: A) fast food B) Coney Island and C) located at or near downtown

Very few... I recall that popular restaurant in Harmony Park [[EEV area) that was nice then it got robbed with patrons a couple of times and it closed. Sometimes I eat with an elder friend at that Boston Market on Livernois not far from that Mickey D's but you just never know when a robber is coming thru... I just call order in, get it fast and eat elsewhere at many food places in the city.
    Its sad, you can't even go a sit down restaurant in Detroit anymore to enjoy a meal. Maybe someone can take a crack at this. Think of all the sit down dining rooms in Detroit that aren't: A) fast food B) Coney Island and C) located at or near downtown
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-20-11 at 12:05 PM.

There is a lesson to be learned here....or maybe more than one. A.) Carry if your going to McDs you don't know who's going to show up, B.) Don't rob anyone as now days your likely to find someone is carrying and won't take your BS, C.) Going into a Mc Donalds can kill you from either tansfats or lead....LOL

Sympathy can be found for all who chose to rob and get killed is in the dictionary between Syphilis and Shit.

and D.) Keep the engine revved while in the drive thru... no need to go in, the extra time spent in there should dissuade you from eating the junk anyway. Fast food should be purchased super-fast these days....
    Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    There is a lesson to be learned here....or maybe more than one. A.) Carry if your going to McDs you don't know who's going to show up, B.) Don't rob anyone as now days your likely to find someone is carrying and won't take your BS, C.) Going into a Mc Donalds can kill you from either tansfats or lead....LOL

Sympathy can be found for all who chose to rob and get killed is in the dictionary between Syphilis and Shit.

How about E) Don't go into a place where a bunch of senior citizens hang out and try to rob it, your more likely to have retired police officers take you out than a retired doctor trying to save your butt.

I know we [[I) sometimes make light of incidents like this, but sometimes I get tired of saying to myself .. well another day in the big bad city, and it just becomes a quality of life issue for me, especially when you can go just two miles down the road into Ferndale and enjoy restaurants even sitting outside and enjoying the weather. I really hope that one day we can do more of that in Detroit without getting into the car and going downtown.

The only thing I have a problem with is showing the woman screaming.
    No one is forcing these people to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    The only thing I have a problem with is showing the woman screaming.
    No one is forcing these people to speak.
    Thats very true but think of it this way. Somebody puts a camera in your face and asks your feelings at the moment of what might be the most grief you have felt in your entire life. Unless you are media savvy and about your head enough to say "no comment" then you are going to let it all out. And some of the things aren't going to be pretty. Thats how you get the various themes of " my baby was a good boy, he wouldn't jump over the counter to rob people he goes to church every sunday " etc, etc.

The stations know this, I just wish they wouldn't enable that kind of stuff.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    Darn, why does it always happen to kids who : "He was a good kid. I see him everyday," said Larry Brooks. "I've never known him to carry a gun or none of that. I know of no criminal activity that he's been involved in." The uncle of the deceased teen said the family is stunned.
    Because in most cases they don't actually pay attention to or care about the young person or get involved in their lives. It is all saving face for the family to say this shit. I see kids all the time running wild with no parents, no uncles, no anything present [[even though they live on the block). Someday they're going to end up dead or in prison and their idiot relatives are going to wonder why, because they were such good kids. They actually weren't, if anyone cared enough to pay attention.

Can't take care of your kids, or you're too busy getting drunk and high, then don't have them. Pay attention to and love the ones you have. Sounds simple? Right? No, it is too much to ask for these people. The rest of us in society have to pay the price for their stupid decisions and negligence.

I'm not glad this person is dead, but I'm glad they are dead so they can't hurt or kill or rob others ever again.
    Last edited by DetroitPole; August-20-11 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Because in most cases they don't actually pay attention to or care about the young person or get involved in their lives. It is all saving face for the family to say this shit. I see kids all the time running wild with no parents, no uncles, no anything present [[even though they live on the block). Someday they're going to end up dead or in prison and their idiot relatives are going to wonder why, because they were such good kids. They actually weren't, if anyone cared enough to pay attention.

Can't take care of your kids, or you're too busy getting drunk and high, then don't have them. Pay attention to and love the ones you have. Sounds simple? Right? No, it is too much to ask for these people. The rest of us in society have to pay the price for their stupid decisions and negligence.
    People are going to have children, its about biology and people aren't going to take care of them. But what I do feel we should have are parental responsibility laws on the books that essentially say, that the parent or whomever is responsible for their minor children and there should be a range of penalties from fines to community service to jail time to be given to the parents to served along with their child.

I feel that the parent is responsible for the actions of their minor children just as they are there own.. Parents will jump up and down and scream " I can't know what my child is doing all the time" My response is you better find out, and you need to let your child know that there will be hell to pay if you have to pay a fine because of his/her actions.

The only parents that would be excused would be the ones that went to social services and stated they can't handle their children
    Last edited by firstandten; August-20-11 at 01:32 PM.

I feel bad that it's a 16 year old with close family members. If it was a 35 year old who was more attached to his gun homies then I probably wouldn't look twice. At least at 16 there's still that chance of getting them out of that lifestyle before it's too late like this kid.

Just reading this makes me want to cry. I remember growing up in the seventies when my father would take us to McDonalds, White Castle, Burger King and Big Boy's and we would sit down and eat in the dining room. A family moment long gone in Detroit. They can glassed up the fast food joints but who is going to want to eat in the dining rooms when there are other predators ready to pounce?

I saw the video this morning from Fox2 and they had the uncle talking about how he never knew the boy carried a gun and my cousin said "but he knew he was broke." That is the reality that people somehow seem to miss. When people are desperate [[this include sixteen year old boys) they will do anything for money and if they have to die for it, they will.

This is the second known case in Detroit that a retired cop have shot and killed a would-be teenage robber. Anyone remember earlier this year when a retired cop killed a teenage robber at the Omni party store at 7Mile and Lauder? Maybe Chief Godbee need to call up the retired cops and ask for their service.

"He was a good kid"

Yeah sure, said straight from a bad parent.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    This is the second known case in Detroit that a retired cop have shot and killed a would-be teenage robber. Anyone remember earlier this year when a retired cop killed a teenage robber at the Omni party store at 7Mile and Lauder? Maybe Chief Godbee need to call up the retired cops and ask for their service.
    Er......count me out. I done my time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast