Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jerry Kleiner in Detroit could be a big deal

article from Crain's.

Kleiner is a somewhat polarizing figure in Chicago’s restaurant scene. He has a reputation for putting high-end restaurants in seedy locations and has as many successes as failures.
    Kleiner is behind Chicago favorites like Vivo, The Clubhouse, Carnivale, 33 Club and Poggliolo which are still open while others like Marche’ and Red Light which are now closed.

http://bit.ly/nKMKdb

Very interesting and I wish him well. Not sure how I feel about the comment from the Greektown VP that they didnt want another Greek restaurant in Greektown...

Carnivale was great, and Red Light in the West Loop was one of my favs when it was still open.

Dude brings it, with cool concepts that aren't "just another steaks/chops place".

He's certainly off to a rocky start. They finally have the website up. Not exactly "cheesecake factory" prices.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...VlInYkfWbf_CbQ

It's amazing that Mr. Hawkins is back on the restaurant scene in Detroit. He [[or more precisely, corporate entities owned by him) owes millions to lenders, investors and vendors in this area. Not very long ago he owed the IRS over $5 million. He conducts business solely with other people's money. How in the world does he persuade rational people to to invest in his projects? Nobody makes any money except him. One certainly shouldn't want failure to befall any new job-creating business in Detroit. But anything involving Mr. Hawkins is bound to end in disaster.

LaVan's partner from Chicago appears to be as colorful as LaVan.
    The restaurateur Jerry Kleiner with his companion Marisa Molinaro in their living room, 2000. “The State of Illinois hired me to do portraits of tons of people for CITY2000, a giant photo project to celebrate a year in the life of the city. Jerry and I have been friends for a long time. He’s a nice guy; he’s a hustler. from ChicagoMag.com by Marc Hauser

Eh. I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover, blah blah. But this guy looks like a major .......... LOL Just saying. I could be wrong! But that's the look I get from that photo!

Jerry Kleiner defined Chicago's restaurant scene in the 90s. Now, all of his restaurants have closed or transferred ownership. He's no longer a factor whatsoever, except in the courtroom. Plenty of ongoing lawsuits with that guy.