Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Developers Eyeing Detroit

Saw this on 4 last night...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/28905174/index.html

Stromberg2

Thanks for the link. Very positive story. Call me skeptical of that reporting, though...

I could see the Book Tower as a W Hotel. The David Whitney would work too, and it being so prominent in the Comerica Park field of view probably helps.

Yeah, the W chain redid the old Guardian Life building in Union Square in New York, and it had a Second Empire-looking mansard roof atop it. Book Tower would be a good fit. W routinely turns old Victorian hulks into Class A accomodations.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, the W chain redid the old Guardian Life building in Union Square in New York, and it had a Second Empire-looking mansard roof atop it. Book Tower would be a good fit. W routinely turns old Victorian hulks into Class A accomodations.
    Yeah, many of their hotel buildings are renovations of old buildings, especially in older cities with that type of building stock. At least in the architecture respect, Detroit seems like a perfect fit for them.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, many of their hotel buildings are renovations of old buildings, especially in older cities with that type of building stock. At least in the architecture respect, Detroit seems like a perfect fit for them.
    Yes, because Detroit is full of buildings that they treasure. You know, the kind George Jackson et al. would call dangerous and obsolete.

All very exciting news! Thanks for sharing...

Great story, hopeful news, and the pix in the video were just amazing. Detroit can sure look good!

Target - I really didn't see that coming. I thought Meijer would be first. A W Hotel in the David Whitney would be a great re-purposing of that space -- is the Roxbury Group still involved?

Does that reporter remind anyone else of Jm J Bullock?

There's another local guy who reminds me of French Stewart
    Last edited by rb336; August-18-11 at 02:59 PM.

^^ heh... Monroe!

... I hope that developers come and rehab these buildings ASAP, they have been derelict eyesores long enough. They can be converted into hotels with some high-end apartments and penthouses.

I'm not sure where a Target would fit in downtown.. I'd like to see it come somewhere in the central city.. already there's the harper woods store @ eastland, the southfield/Northland store, and the dearborn store @ ford road..

Hooray for Target rumor! Where would a good location be for Target? Downtown Chicago has a cool looking Target and Whole foods around the south loop. I'm sure it wouldn't be as big as Chicago's, but I would go there all the time! It would be a good supplement to our fine dollar stores here!

Ironically, Target would work on the Hudsons site.

Stromberg2

I went to the W Hotel in Minneapolis which is located in the historic Foshay Tower. It was world class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    I went to the W Hotel in Minneapolis which is located in the historic Foshay Tower. It was world class.
    Yeah - I was in the one in Seoul in 2007 and it was fantastic. I'd love a W downtown. Then again, I'm not really buying this news story...no reason to believe Frank has any inside knowledge and is probably just grasping at the previous stuff that has come out.

I think that Target should open in an already existing building which there are plenty on Merchants Row. It could be a three to four level target maybe in the former Lane Bryant or Winkelmans building.. Maybe in one of the buildings that surrounds Grand Circus Park. Another great location would be on Broadway street in front of the Detroit Oprea House Parking Structure. There is nothing in that glass structure

"W chain" means "Westin"?

Sorry, I don't do contrived codespeak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    "W chain" means "Westin"?

Sorry, I don't do contrived codespeak well.
    No, it's a sub-brand of Starwood [[which owns Westin, Sheraton, etc).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    No, it's a sub-brand of Starwood [[which owns Westin, Sheraton, etc).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/index.html
    So it's really an "S chain"? LOL!

What does the "W" in "W chain" stand for?

Sincerely and appreciatively and laughingly.
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-18-11 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that Target should open in an already existing building which there are plenty on Merchants Row. It could be a three to four level target maybe in the former Lane Bryant or Winkelmans building.. Maybe in one of the buildings that surrounds Grand Circus Park. Another great location would be on Broadway street in front of the Detroit Oprea House Parking Structure. There is nothing in that glass structure

Incorrect, Kraemer Design is located in the glass structure attached to the Detroit Opera House Parking Garage..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    So it's really an "S chain"? LOL!

What does the "W" in "W chain" stand for?

Sincerely and appreciatively and laughingly.
    W is the brand name of the hotel. Just like Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt.

agrahlma Guest

I'd prefer to see a Target in Midtown, rather than the CBD.

A typical Target store is over 100,000 square feet. Unless it would be an 'urban concept' store [[as Walmart and Meijer are talking about in Chicago), its going to need a pretty big site. Would be great to get it on a block on Woodward between I-75 and Mack... they have more 'street-wall'/outside the box designs than other big box retailers, in my experience. Minn, Chicago, Charlotte, even W Bloomfield have various multi-level, smaller-acreage designs.

Is there anything known about this Target rumor, or is it idle speculation? I have never heard anything about it, but then again, they could be taking a low-key approach so that speculators don't gouge them for land or a building.

It would be kind of ironic if they built on the site of Hudsons.

Would Target close one of it's suburban stores [[Its Northland location comes to mind, let's face within 5 years it's in the grave, buried) and then move downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Would Target close one of it's suburban stores [[Its Northland location comes to mind, let's face within 5 years it's in the grave, buried) and then move downtown?
    They just renovated the Target at Northland a couple of years ago. Every time I am there it seems to be doing a good business. Northland is far enough from downtown that I don't think the two customer bases overlap each other much. Northland attracts a lot of Northwest Detroiters, downtown would attract a lot of office workers, students, as well as those who live downtown.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast