Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan State Fair now in Escanaba?...

Is this the first year for it there since it left Detroit? What was the last year for the State Fair in Detroit, '09?

Are there any plans for the State Fair Grounds in Detroit? Does the State of Michigan still own the site on 8 Mile? If not, how owns it?

There's been an official state fair in Escanaba since the late 20's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_State_Fair

Dokken, Skid Row and Warrant all on stage tonight!!

http://upstatefair.org/

Yooper chicks rule!They keep their boyfriends warm at night.

the state still owns it... loses more and more value everyday... someone will grab it up dirt cheap especially with the light rail

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Yooper chicks rule!They keep their boyfriends warm at night.
    You got that right...

I think that each County or a group Counties should get a chance to host the Michigan State Fair.

This will be a good thing for the state entirely. Each County or region get to showcase their area.

The State Fair should be rotated among the counties. It should go up for grabs or bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    There's been an official state fair in Escanaba since the late 20's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula_State_Fair

Dokken, Skid Row and Warrant all on stage tonight!!

http://upstatefair.org/
    I remember seeing Dokken in 1988 in the Monsters of Rock show at the Silverdome. I remember thinking how pathetic Don Dokken looked squeezed into his spandex and looking every bit of 50 years old and flabby. Really looked like he was trying way too hard to hold onto his youth.

Now wikipedia says he's only 58 today, which means he was only 35 in 1988. Color me skeptical on that date of birth.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    I remember seeing Dokken in 1988 in the Monsters of Rock show at the Silverdome. I remember thinking how pathetic Don Dokken looked squeezed into his spandex and looking every bit of 50 years old and flabby. Really looked like he was trying way too hard to hold onto his youth.

Now wikipedia says he's only 58 today, which means he was only 35 in 1988. Color me skeptical on that date of birth.
    How old were you back in 88?
    Most adults look ancient through the eyes of a high school age kid.

I recently ran into one of my HS teachers and I couldn't believe he was still teaching.
    I would have guessed he was in his mid 40's when I was in HS, but he was only in his early 30's.

Escanaba held harness racing [[in succession) from 1917-1930, it's likely that a fair was going on simultaeously.

The fairgrounds at Escanaba also held pari-mutuel harness racing for two years in the 1980's. On occasion the race results were published in the Freep.

The following excerpt from a 1972 article [[it should be noted that the "first year" reference is not for the circuit, rather the family that the article is about):

The first year on the U.P. circuit, which included Escanaba, Norway, Ironwood, Marquette, Chatham, Newberry, Manistique, the Soo and some tracks in Canada, . . .The next year, 1928, they purchased a used Model T truck for $100 and did their own moving. In all 51 years of racing, they have had but three trucks.

But what year was the last State Fair in Detroit? Is there now an official "state fair" elsewhere in Mich?

2009 was the last State Fair in Detroit. I miss it.