Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default sleeping bear dunes...beautiful

I don't know whether to say, "well, duh, world, about time you noticed" or SHHHHH don't let the word get out" about this gem...

well, i would go with your first choice corn.bot...i have to tell ya though, the last time i attempted those dunes, well let's just say, it was only a few steps down before i crawled back up. hubby and kids looked like ants from my view.

Oh, do I hear you, Maof. Last time we were there - 2008 - my husband and teenaged son did the Dune Climb by the visitor's center with the intent of walking the dunes all the way to Lake Michigan. My excuse for not joining them was a broken toe [[earned while wading in the rapids above one of the Tahquamenon Falls the day before). I relaxed in the shade at a picnic table for a couple of hours. Heh. BTW they did not make it to the lake that time; and thankfully, they were smart enough to NOT attempt that crazy slope at the lake near the actual Sleeping Bear.

We love it there, have been there probably a dozen times in 20 years, and hope the new crowding does not scare the [[officially-nonexistent) cougars away.

Can't disagree with the selection.... it is a beautiful spot... with the North and South Manitou Islands in the distance [[where the legend of the 2 bear cubs that never made it across the lake with their mother, they were turned into islands).

Now we're going to start seeing "America's Most Beautiful Place" signs sprouting up in the area. I remember as a kid seeing signs around Higgins Lake saying "6th Mmost Beautiful Lake in the World".

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    Oh, do I hear you, Maof. Last time we were there - 2008 - my husband and teenaged son did the Dune Climb by the visitor's center with the intent of walking the dunes all the way to Lake Michigan. My excuse for not joining them was a broken toe [[earned while wading in the rapids above one of the Tahquamenon Falls the day before). I relaxed in the shade at a picnic table for a couple of hours. Heh. BTW they did not make it to the lake that time; and thankfully, they were smart enough to NOT attempt that crazy slope at the lake near the actual Sleeping Bear.

We love it there, have been there probably a dozen times in 20 years, and hope the new crowding does not scare the [[officially-nonexistent) cougars away.
    Are you talking about the 4 legged or 2 legged variety? If the latter, you'll only see more now.