Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit ranked #1 for job growth!

Metro Detroit is the fastest-growing job market in the U.S., according to the employment website Monster.com.
    The year-over-year job growth in metro Detroit was higher than Minneapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Orlando.
    The Monster Employment Index U.S. is a monthly gauge of U.S. online job demand based on a real-time review of millions of employer job opportunities culled from a large representative selection of career Web sites and online job listings. The Index does not reflect the trend of any one advertiser or source, but is an aggregate measure of the change in job listings across the industry.
    Some highlights of the findings:

• Detroit reclaimed the top-spot in July from Minneapolis last month
    • Online demand for jobs is up 34% year-over-year
    • Detroit has recorded positive annual growth for over a year [[17 consecutive months)
    • The Index is up 7% [[8 points) on a monthly basis

• Occupational categories that saw the highest growth in July [[% growth Year-over-Year) are:
      • Production Occupations [[up 102%)
      • Architecture and Engineering Occupations [[up 96%)
      • Transportation and Material Moving Occupations [[up 86%)
      • Construction and Extraction [[65%)
      • Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media [[up 58%)

• Occupational categories that saw the lowest growth in July [[% growth Year-over-Year) are:
      • Farming, Fishing, and Forestry [[up 7%)
      • Business and Financial Operations [[up 5%)
      • Military Specific [[down 1 %)
      • Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance [[down 2%)
      • Legal [[down 12%)
    KEEP IT UP DETROIT!!!

How do you type that Tim Allen grunt in text?

i copyed and paced from detroit2020.com

http://detroit2020.com/2011/08/17/me...or-job-growth/

Helps to post the source link. Does this mean people are actually finding jobs?

Excellent news!

July unemployment report for michigan came out today. Unemployment increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    July unemployment report for michigan came out today. Unemployment increased.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Imagine an island where there are only two jobs: engineers and hunters. If the number of engineering jobs available jumps from 200 to 300, then it's "job growth", which is measured by the number of listings. Compared to some other island, whose engineering postings jumped from 200 to 225...the first island has "the fastest growing job market".

But while this is all going on...because of all the smarty-pants work that engineers were doing, the need for hunters drop from 1000 to 500.

There you have it. Unemployment goes up. But they're still the fastest growing job market of all the islands.

Metro Detroit's problem is that isn't that there aren't any jobs. It's that we have too many job openings and then way, way, way too many people who aren't qualified or interested in becoming qualified.

It's not surprising that Flint is where most of the unemployment in Michigan is happening.

http://milmi.org/

It's good news but I bet the majority of those jobs, you can't support a family on. They are probably paying $10.00 - $15.00 dollars per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    i copyed and paced from detroit2020.com
    i think you meant "copied" and "pasted" from...

Yet our unemployment rate statewide is still increasing? With half the State's population in Metro Detroit this is odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It's good news but I bet the majority of those jobs, you can't support a family on. They are probably paying $10.00 - $15.00 dollars per hour.
    I don't think the following occupations pay less than $15/hr. Architecture and engineering? Construction? Truck driving? Or maybe I've been stuck in the ivory tower too long.

Production Occupations [[up 102%)
    Architecture and Engineering Occupations [[up 96%)
    Transportation and Material Moving Occupations [[up 86%)
    Construction and Extraction [[65%)

This is probably a phenomenon called "regression to the mean." Data tend to settle toward the mean. This was first shown by Sir Francis Galton when comparing the heights of children to the heights of their parents. Tall parents tend to have tall children. But the children tend to be just a bit shorter than the tallest parents, and a bit taller than the shortest parents. We can also see this in sports, where "rookie of the year" players often have less than stellar careers, despite a great [[read lucky) first year.

In Detroit's case, if it was the worst city at time 0, it will tend to be somewhat better at time 1.

YAY BING!

That means more white folks and immigrants are moving back to Detroit

there need to be more resources for skilled-trade unions to adopt detroit city schools, train students in various disciplines and recruit them after graduation.
    for adults, there should also be skilled-trade training programs [[including a GED component for whoever doesn't have that or a diploma yet) that are administered in partnership with the city's job-development dept.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't think the following occupations pay less than $15/hr. Architecture and engineering? Construction? Truck driving? Or maybe I've been stuck in the ivory tower too long.

Production Occupations [[up 102%)
    Architecture and Engineering Occupations [[up 96%)
    Transportation and Material Moving Occupations [[up 86%)
    Construction and Extraction [[65%)
    If production occupations are referring to employment in the Auto Industry, then you need to come down from that tower, because they are hiring in at $14.00 per hr. Now if it were something else, pardon me. Architecture and Engineering require degrees or extensive training which isn't available to the demographic I'm speaking of. Even Transportation and Construction jobs require training if not degrees.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-23-11 at 10:57 PM.