Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dream Cruise

Default Dream Cruise

I had noticed that the Woodward Dream Cruise had started earlier this year. I was driving up Woodward yesterday and today and had noticed the classic cars crusing around 13 mile road and people sitting on the sidelines watching. It was the same last year. A week long event. That's cool. I had wondered why Detroit had never allowed the Crusie to be held at least to Woodward and 7 mile with events being held at Palmer Park.

Dr. Emil Guest

Every year there's a thread on the Dream Cruise, people chime in saying it's great, then people chime in about how much it sucks and it delves into bickering shitstorm. Congrats on getting it going this year.

I had always enjoyed it. I enjoy the festive atmosphere more than I do watching a car go down the street. I loved having gone to the weekly long pre event more than I did the event itself last year.Detroit had tried to have a futuristic cruise last year around the Science Center but it was a farce

See threads from last year,and the year before.Crime,real or imagined,racism,same old crap that keeps SE Mich down.And if anyone cares to come up to the best veiwing spot during cruise "week",my Oldsmobile club will be at the Charter One Bank,Long Lake and Woodward.On Saturday look for the red 1967 Olds442 with the Luckycar sign in the window.Say hey,and let me know your from DY,and a blast up to Pontiac can be had.
    Last edited by luckycar; August-17-11 at 04:18 AM.

I was pissed off waiting in rush hour traffic while 13 Mile was closed at Woodward. At first I thought it was a senior citizens' event unrelated to the cruise [[I saw many elderly pedestrians, but no cars), but I guess it's just because Tuesday at 6 PM isn't really convenient for younger familes.

Put me in the "it sucks" category, at least until the weekend. Then it's fine.

I'll chime in as an "it sucks" supporter.... never saw a sorry-er bunch of losers than people sitting in the middle of woodward 1 week before the cruise drinking their PBR and watching 99% everyday cars drive by..........

for a finale they probably go home and sniff paint while watching it dry......

Who are you to rain on someone else's fun? There's a million hobbies out there, and I'm sure you probably have a few too. So why whine about people having a good time? I don't have a boat but I don't complain about others enjoying theirs.

P.S. We happen to live in the Motor City, It kind of comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    I'll chime in as an "it sucks" supporter.... never saw a sorry-er bunch of losers than people sitting in the middle of woodward 1 week before the cruise drinking their PBR and watching 99% everyday cars drive by..........

for a finale they probably go home and sniff paint while watching it dry......
    You will get a warning if not a ticket if you sit in the middle of Woodward.You will get sick if you drink PBR.You need help if you sniff paint.
    Most of us losers work[[ed) in some auto related field,and are the reason good or bad that this place isn't some backwater shit hole..oh wait......

Can't we just all get along here?

Some of us love the Dream Cruise, some of us endure the Dream Cruise, and some of us abhor the Dream Cruise. I feel fortunate to enjoy the event and all that it encompasses! I love the camraderie among people who share an interest or a passion. I think it is wonderful that there are families and groups of friends spending time together and enjoying a shared interest. Last evening I had the privilege to share the Cruise experience with a work colleague in town from the UK. He was amazed at what he saw on a "warmup" evening! And that is what this is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    See threads from last year,and the year before.Crime,real or imagined,racism,same old crap that keeps SE Mich down.And if anyone cares to come up to the best veiwing spot during cruise "week",my Oldsmobile club will be at the Charter One Bank,Long Lake and Woodward.On Saturday look for the red 1967 Olds442 with the Luckycar sign in the window.Say hey,and let me know your from DY,and a blast up to Pontiac can be had.
    Luckycar, I might take you up on that offer! The credit union where I work is having an employees only event at the Woodward office. We did it last year as well, before that it was only open to car dealers with whom we did business. Thankfully, the cruise traffic in Pontiac is only bad around the loop.

The Berkley "Cruisefest" Parade is a lot of fun, I go every year. This is on Friday the 19th. It starts at 6:30pm along 12 Mile going west from Coolidge. Lots of cool cars every year, highly recommend. There is no seating in the middle of the road for this event

I enjoyed the cruise years ago. It has since become a pain in the behind for a week. If people would stay home and stop screwing up the commute weekdays, if people would stop driving cars that are by no means "classic" I would enjoy it again.

p.s. - no car from after '72 is a "classic" and that includes the smokey and the bandit trans ams and the corvettes. "old" and "classic" are not synonyms

There should be something that brings this past 8 mile...with events at the old Fairgrounds, T-Plex, Historical Museum [[and other spots around the cultural center), all the way down to Hart Plaza...where some major celebration of the city should be held.

Of course, it brings issues...anywhere people congregate, trouble can brew. Heck, riding my bike to the Cruise one year some young idiot with Ford SVT PR threw his shoe at me...so this ranks as the only event where I've been directly accosted!

But...while I never would call myself a fan of Detroit iron...one year with a good client at his car club's party, I spent some of my most enjoyable hours ever watching this spectacle.

Bring on the Dream Cruise...I may not know anyone who's family wasn't brought here by the car industry, other than Skulker and Kathleen, of course. My grandfather was one of Henry Ford's reluctant foremen at the Rouge [[not long after those anti-union abuses, which he abhored), and my daddy was a Controller at Fisher Body-Fleetwood...passing out the paychecks.

Cheers!

rb,

It sounds like you want to disclude those designs which proved the myopia of the then Big 4...unto the utter destruction of this town. I call foul. Those vehicles are JUST as important as the so-called classics. Master of Ceremonies should ride in a lemon yellow AMC Pacer, and the Queen and her Court get to ride in the last Eldorado convertible...while the Shriners drive circles around them in battered, rusted Toyotas and Hondas.

Maybe that is how we tie the city into this...we get our locals to ride their hoopties south of 8 mile. I've seen some beauties around town.

To be a total D!@K I gotta say...This is the Motor City...This is what we do!
    It's only a week long and its attended by people from all over the world. Glad its in our backyard!
    Went out last week tuesday. Went last night. Might go Thurs and definately Sat!

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emil View Post
    Every year there's a thread on the Dream Cruise, people chime in saying it's great, then people chime in about how much it sucks and it delves into bickering shitstorm. Congrats on getting it going this year.
    There is a common thread to these posts...someone chimes in about a subject and then you chime in with some attempt at a clever dig in an effort to get recognition in other places.

If folks want to hang out on Woodward all week, that's fine, but I don't understand what folks are actually looking at.

I was stuck in crazy rush hour traffic yesterday [[thanks to all the Dream Cruise-related closed streets) but I don't think I saw 5 classic cars in a 30 minute timespan on Woodward.

So what are all those folks in lawn chairs doing? Kinda just socializing and the like? Staring at harried rush hour commuters in their Jeeps and Hondas?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Those vehicles are JUST as important as the so-called classics.
    I'd like to see a group of purple AMC Gremlins making the turn at the Loop!

When I was up in St. Ignace this past June, they were having a classic car show, and I thought it quite amusing to see a car club that was devoted to the Ford Pinto. I can't think of a worse car made by the Big Three, and here is a club dedicated to glorifying them!

It's not my thing, but as long as people are coming to this area to spend their money and have a good time I'm all for it.

Default Dream Cruise Surcharge

My wife and I with dog in tow walked up Woodward around 9 PM last night and enjoyed it. Things go downhill as the week progresses [[i live in Ferndale 1 blcok from Woodward).
    How about adding a .$0.50 tax for gasoline purchased during Dream Cruise week for the tri-county area with the money going to schools and roads. That would keep
    the gawkers at home perhaps.....????

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If folks want to hang out on Woodward all week, that's fine, but I don't understand what folks are actually looking at.

I was stuck in crazy rush hour traffic yesterday [[thanks to all the Dream Cruise-related closed streets) but I don't think I saw 5 classic cars in a 30 minute timespan on Woodward.

So what are all those folks in lawn chairs doing? Kinda just socializing and the like? Staring at harried rush hour commuters in their Jeeps and Hondas?
    this is what Im talking about, the dream cruise is one thing... but people are sitting on the side of the road 10 days before the dream cruise watching cars go by and maybe 1 out of 100 qualifies as a "dream cruise" cruiser....

they may as well be sitting on the side of I-75 watching traffic...... or is it just because they are sitting on a street named woodward that makes looking at soccer moms driving minivans so exciting....???

Dr. Emil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    There is a common thread to these posts...someone chimes in about a subject and then you chime in with some attempt at a clever dig in an effort to get recognition in other places.
    Maybe so but this same thread appears every single year. Maybe one year someone will just bump the thread from the previous year and people won't have to post their same pro or con opinion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    while the Shriners drive circles around them in battered, rusted Toyotas and Hondas.
    If you can find surviving Japanese cars from the 70s, I know some shriners...
    [[saw some pintoes, vegas and even a few gremlins out in cali a while ago. not one b-210, civic or tercel from that era. remember when japanese cars actually were pieces of feces?)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I can't think of a worse car made by the Big Three, and here is a club dedicated to glorifying them!
    Well, there was GM's answer to it, the Vega. Un-huh. The only classic within that line was the Cosworth, but only perhaps for the humor value that the GM execs thought anyone would consider that POS a racecar, let alone know who the hell Cosworth was!!!!

As for the glorification...I'd think it was more about surviving them surviving this long that they're celebrating. The one year I went to the Cruise, one Pinto was all laden with Explosive and Flamable signs [[although isn't Inflamable the worse term, I always get those confused?!)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    If you can find surviving Japanese cars from the 70s, I know some shriners...
    [[saw some pintoes, vegas and even a few gremlins out in cali a while ago. not one b-210, civic or tercel from that era. remember when japanese cars actually were pieces of feces?)
    I'm spit laughing at the screen right now, cannot help it. I was thinking the same damn thing as I wrote it.

But, yanno, as straight man to this stand-up team, once in a while I've got to toss a slow pitch and keep my tongue firmly bitten...

Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast