Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wayne State football

Anyone here ever been to a Tartars* game? I enjoy going to different sports venues [[11 Major League parks, 12 minor league parks) just for the hell of it. I've been to all the Detroit teams stadia with the exception of Pistons at Cobo, Lions at Tiger Stadium and Wings at Olympia. Anyway, are tickets reasonably priced? Does anyone tailgate and if so, where? What is the atmosphere like?

check that, tix are $7 apparently

*Yes I know they're the Warriors but I prefer the old non-generic nickname

Theyre not the Tartars anymore ? WTF were they afraid of offending the Mongol Hoard lobby? We really have a problem with Mongolians? Shit what could they be mad about? They don't get a kickback from those mongolian BBQ places?

It made me mad when EMU dropped the Hurons and became Eagles. Why not the emus?

I'm a WSU grad who never attended a WSU football game until a few years ago when my nephew played on the team. I watched maybe a dozen games over the 3 years he was on the team and it was a great experience. Crowds were usually rather small but enthusiastic, and the atmosphere was what you might expect at any college game, only on a much smaller scale. Marching bands, cheerleaders, tailgaters, hot dogs, WSU athletic gear for sale, etc. The only [[minor) hassle was the limited parking.

I really enjoyed hanging out down there and I would encourage any football fan to check out the Warriors. The admission price is right and its a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Actually WSU competes in one of the best Division II conferences in the country. A game between WSU and Grand Valley would be an attractive draw and a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. Lets just say I would rather see that matchup than a run of the mill MAC game.

Wayne lost a tough one this past week to Ashland - their first loss of the season. They are still nationally ranked though [[#12) and leading their division of the GLIAC, which firstandten rightly calls one of the toughest D2 conferences in the country, and in strong contention for an NCAA playoffspot.

Going to a Wayne game is a lot of fun, particularly the last few years that the team has been competitive. And you certainly can't beat the price. These kids at this level may not be quite as big and fast as the Big 10 guys, but this is certainly not rec league stuff either. They work hard, play hard and hit hard

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Wayne lost a tough one this past week to Ashland - their first loss of the season. They are still nationally ranked though [[#12) and leading their division of the GLIAC, which firstandten rightly calls one of the toughest D2 conferences in the country, and in strong contention for an NCAA playoffspot.

Going to a Wayne game is a lot of fun, particularly the last few years that the team has been competitive. And you certainly can't beat the price. These kids at this level may not be quite as big and fast as the Big 10 guys, but this is certainly not rec league stuff either. They work hard, play hard and hit hard
    The panoramic view at the top of the bleachers of everything from midtown to downtown is worth the price of going to a WSU game.

Wayne State just won their first ever post season football game in school history Minnesota. On to Nebraska-Kearney! The Detroit revival continues...

Go Tartars! Er Warriors!

Good news and quite an upset and comeback. St. Cloud had a long home winning streak and had never lost a playoff game at home.

On top of that the WSU team had to hitch hike there. Okay the didn't, but they but they had to play Huskies! in the snow and went down 21-6 the second quarter, as the snow piled up, before mounting their comeback win.

Both the Warriors and the Huskies finished the game with over 400 yards each of total offense despite snowy conditions and a 50-minute half time to allow for snow removal from the field. Wayne State finished with 413 yards to the Huskies 407 yards.

St. Cloud State was ranked #12/#14 in the national polls this week and were the #3 seed in Super Region #3. The Huskies were making their second straight NCAA playoff appearance and fourth overall.

Wayne State was the #6 seed in the region and were making their first ever NCAA appearance.
    Source

It's one of the best football Saturday values going, especially now since the team is winning. I guess the secret's not fully out yet--too bad the stands aren't more packed. Tailgating, music, marching band [[though it still needs some work), and when they win--don't leave right away...the team goes over to the stands and does the fight song a capella.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    It's one of the best football Saturday values going, especially now since the team is winning. I guess the secret's not fully out yet--too bad the stands aren't more packed. Tailgating, music, marching band [[though it still needs some work), and when they win--don't leave right away...the team goes over to the stands and does the fight song a capella.
    Keep winning and it will happen sooner than you think

There's a watch party for the game Saturday, since most of us won't be driving to NE to see them play. Kickoff is 1 p.m. ET Saturday.

4501 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 313.831.3100
    http://www.startersbarandgrill.com

WSU won today over the #3 team in the country--38-26.

I believe they will play their next game Friday night at Home. Anyone know if "Home" means Ford Field or The Tartan Dome?

I'm not above jumping late on to the bandwagon ...

They play the defending national champions, Minnesota-Duluth on the road.

http://thesouthend.wayne.edu/index.p...s_march_onward

You can watch the games online. Not sure if ESPN ever carries DII football.

Cinderalla vs. Last Year's Div. 2 Champ [Duluth also won it in 2008] on the road. Another big challenge for the little team that could.

WSU will play on the road next Saturday at fourth-seeded Minnesota Duluth, who recorded a 24-21 road win at top-seeded Colorado State-Pueblo earlier today.
    Duluth, hmm, that should be nice toasty weather.

http://wsuathletics.com/news/2011/11...126115910.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherboy View Post
    Not sure if ESPN ever carries DII football.
    They generally carry the D-2 championship game. Watched when Grand Valley won it multiple times.

Should be at least as nice in Duluth as it was in St. Cloud. I didn't even realize that they played football up there, thought they were just a hockey school.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I believe they will play their next game Friday night at Home. Anyone know if "Home" means Ford Field or The Tartan Dome?

I'm not above jumping late on to the bandwagon ...
    There is some much wrong, misinformed and just plain stupid about the above post I can only say to all my other forum friends, all my true fans and of course the random outlets that I appologise for putting the Refs in the position of being able to ban me from cheering for the hometown Tartars.

WSU fans are gathering at Starter's Bar and Grill near the campus to watch the game tomorrow.

Fourth Quarter WSU 31, MD 18.........Go Warriors!
    Last edited by Homer; December-03-11 at 03:19 PM. Reason: 4th quarter

WSU wins 31-25--at the home of the defending Div. II national champs. They play at Winston-Salem [[NC) next week. Go Warriors!

Boo yaa!!!

What a run! On the road in the cold and so far from home.

Congrats WSU.

Warriors won again, 21-14 at Winston-Salem.

Playing for the National Championship next Saturday! 11 AM on ESPN2, game played in Florence, Alabama.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast