Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default You know that expression that some things make your hair stand up straight?

Well.....

This does!! 40.000 Watts of audio!

I guess we found the source for that mf'in' hum.

Tell that idiot to stop listening to test signals.

That poor girl...she has been altered at the molecular level now.

That is just sick.

I remember when my Livonia Friend was the ruler of car audio on Woodward Avenue at Car Tunes...during my stint up at the Gramophone, where we'd get all sorts of demands to do this sort of thing for people...but we'd largely refuse.

I had a simple, but really perfect system consisting of a/d/s/ 320is in the door and dash [[they were one of the first 'separate' speaker system, with a killer tweeter and crossover) and matching 8-inch woofers in a one-cubic foot box apiece in the trunk. Killer a/d/s/ amplification and electronic crossovers...driven by an Alpine head-end.

That system rivaled my home system, with regards to detail and imaging [[something unheard of in the mid-to-late 80s car audio world) and even frequency response. I still miss it, actually, have never been able to get close to the accuracy and balance of that system.

My buddy? He drove a Grand National, and was always tinkering with his system...huge twelve- or fifteen-inch woofers using the then-new isobaric loading, solobaric was the next generation...and more speaker drivers stuck throughout the car than you could shake a stick at...but he was NEVER satisfied.

Didn't keep him from boasting that he could make the front window vibrate nearly 3/4 of an inch...not to mention the trunklid almost coming unhinged! Isomat and other resonance damping materials were well into the future from that point. He won a bunch of competitions, and ended up being drafted into judging, I guess to make it fair and fun for everyone else. He always wanted me to come down and work these things with him, but once I learned the SPLs they were aiming for, I kept my distance.

Yanno, distance being the best volume control, when you don't have access to the real one!

I figured if I wanted that abuse, I'd go sit at the end of the runway at Metro. That was more fun, and to my ears, more musical, anyways.

He was always a bit jealous of my midbass...to the point that over twenty years later I STILL tease him about that ever-elusive search of his...he never could concede that his over-the-top assault with acoustic horsepower was yielding him too much deep bass that he could never tame.

I guess like the car, too. He's always made fun of me, racing away in any straight line, smokin' his tires...but my little GTI would smoke HIM if there were more than two turns to negotiate. Some people...LOL!

Cheers, thanks for tripping me down another memory lane...
    Last edited by Gannon; August-16-11 at 05:18 PM.

Of course, between the two of us...one still has his hearing, too.

I'll bet HE doens't hear that hum...

Yes, but can audio do this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vyB-O5i6E