Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Question about a building in West Village on Parker

Does anyone know what this building is used for, and if so, what condition it is in?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Detroi...73.04,,0,-1.04

The reason I ask, is because it looks like it could be made into a really nice loft development. Its location in West Village is great and it seems like it could be a great project for someone.

If I remember correctly, this building is a storage facility/parking garage used by residents of the nearby Parkstone and Parkhurst apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    If I remember correctly, this building is a storage facility/parking garage used by residents of the nearby Parkstone and Parkhurst apartments.
    Exactly, it's one of the parking garages for the Parkstone/Parkhurst Apartments. Others in the neighborhood are also able to rent a spot.

Indian Village Manor used to have a similar garage on Van Dyke, IIRC.

West Village is a curious spot for me. I would consider it before corktown if i was working downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoracks View Post
    West Village is a curious spot for me. I would consider it before corktown if i was working downtown.
    I used to live in West Village back in the 70's it was a great neighborhood then...I'm not sure about now..but it's worth a look because the location is good.

The building could stand a bit of sprucing up.

I took a trip down memory lane by using the link to view my old digs, the house right next to the Parkhurst. Spent a couple of good years in the early 80's there.

I lived in the Parkstone for 3 years in the early 80s and I could never figure out what that building was or what it had once been in a previous life. It wasn't being used as a parking garage at the time I was living there, it always looked old, vacant and neglected.

The Indian Village Tennis Club is right next door to that building and i know that, several years ago anyway, they stored some equipment, etc. in there. There were also some old cars and other stuff stored in there. A friend of mine who lived in the Parkstone stored a decrepit and barely running old Mercedes in there. But Parkstone residents' main parking was in either the open lot across the street or the garage at the corner of Parker and Agnes, depending on what they were willing to pay.

@Gary: Maybe you and I were neighbors!