Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Crazy eastside drivers

Tonight I witnessed the worst case of driving that I have ever seen. I was on the way home from the Tigers' game and attempted to enter the east bound I-94 at Gratiot. It was a parking lot for as far as you could see due to construction. I immediately jumped off at French Road and worked my way from Shoemaker to Connor to Harper where I turned. I was taking a friend home who lives in Grosse Pointe Woods.

From the time I turned onto Harper until I turned onto Cadieux to reenter I-94, counted no less than 10 cars that would pull up to a red light, stop, then proceed through the red light. I also saw a few cars, in a major hurry, that passed vehicles in both the left turn lane and the parking lane.

Has anyone else on the eastside witnessed this type of driving?

I have witnessed many of the same things in the same area. It is no wonder there are terrible accidents all the time. There seems to be little regard for any of the "rules of the road".

I've observed the same scenarios on West Warren & Southflield Fwy.... so it's not an eastside phenomenon.

Obviously red lights are stop signs. Once traffic clears you can pass through. Don't tell your insurance agency though!

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    All the time but esp. in the area[[s) you've mentioned. [[near French Rd. seems to be a particularly bad area for this).

I've just resigned myself to keeping a sharp lookout for cars that are going to pass me on the right or blast by me in the turn lane. I drive at a pretty brisk pace myself so it's not like I'm holding people up but what are ya gonna do.

I noticed this same behavior on Saturday when two cars jumped the red light at Woodward and Forest when the eastbound traffic on Forest cleared.

LOL! I've worked in that area and Connor overall is a trip without luggage but I am seeing people driving nuts everywhere including the west side of Detroit and the burbs. I was on Northwestern and Inkster road [[Farmington Hills) and watched a van casually sail thru a SOLID red light! Had I not paused before going beginning to to go thru the green I would have been broadsided. No regard for traffic lights. Insane!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    Tonight I witnessed the worst case of driving that I have ever seen. I was on the way home from the Tigers' game and attempted to enter the east bound I-94 at Gratiot. It was a parking lot for as far as you could see due to construction. I immediately jumped off at French Road and worked my way from Shoemaker to Connor to Harper where I turned. I was taking a friend home who lives in Grosse Pointe Woods.

From the time I turned onto Harper until I turned onto Cadieux to reenter I-94, counted no less than 10 cars that would pull up to a red light, stop, then proceed through the red light. I also saw a few cars, in a major hurry, that passed vehicles in both the left turn lane and the parking lane.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-16-11 at 05:39 AM.

It's called survival driving. If you stay stopped at the red light when no traffic is around you chance of getting jacked go up.

I see this all the time on E. Jefferson. Many times, people don't even bother to stop. And some of these same fools that cause accidents get angry and violent blaming the other driver.
    After the beating incident that occured this weekend at the BP gas station on Greenfield & 8 Mile, I don't even know what I would do if one of these fools hit me.

No, I haven't noticed anything unusual. But then I don't usually look around too much when I'm driving.

Now get out of my way...

That type of driving is happening elsewhere in Michigan, as well; and the intersections & neighborhoods are not necessarily in dicey areas, at least around here. I heard from someone with local indisputable street cred that this faction of people feels such "laws" do not apply to them. To ticket one of them for not stopping at a red light is considered a racist act, a political ploy, or an attempt by the rich to control the poor. Seriously.

When it is night and there is hardly any traffic around, red lights becomes stop signs.

Especially in area where they is very low population density.

In all area of Metro Detroit, people drive different.

Grosse Pointes
    With an older population, the speed limit on most of its thoroughfares is 25 mph and 30 mph. The police in the Pointes will ticket you for going 35 mph with no traffic at night. Plenty of speed traps and a lot of hidden "No Left Turn", "No Right Turn". signs by which they can write tickets. Also, watch out for when the speed limit changes from 35 to 30. Slow driving and Slow drivers in the Pointes.

Oakland County
    Fast Drivers in the OC. Driving 55 can get you knocked off the road by drivers moving no less than 75 mph. An younger set in Oakland County drives real fast. However, for those of us who are DWB with the pace of traffic has a higher probability to getting tickets. OC Dilemmna: Drive Fast and get ticketed or Drive Slow and get knocked off the road.

Detroit
    Anything goes. A a lot of Traffic Signals in Detroit are non-functional. In addition, with low density population areas, traffic signals are becoming obsolete. As a extreme caution, do not drive on 7 Mile.

Redford
    Speed Trap on Telegraph Road. Redford police loves writing tickets. They are no. 1 in the region for Speed Traps. A few years ago, Redford reduced their police force by 1/3. The result is that the number of break-in and robberies have increased. Even though the number of Break-ins have increased, the Redford Police's priority is still writing traffic tickets.

Dearborn
    I love how everyones slows down on Southfield Freeway when they enters the Dearborn limits. South of Warren Ave, All traffic crawls at 55 mph on Southfield Freeway.

Well, with only one lane open on Southfield it's bound to be slower than usual. In normal traffic, there's a speed trap around Oakwood, so watch out.

As a extreme caution, do not drive on 7 Mile.

Amen. Same caution applies to W. Vernor.

HUH?! Really?

How am I going to get to Jordi's Cafe Con Leche or Duly's?!

I call foul...

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    That type of driving is happening elsewhere in Michigan, as well; and the intersections & neighborhoods are not necessarily in dicey areas, at least around here. I heard from someone with local indisputable street cred that this faction of people feels such "laws" do not apply to them. To ticket one of them for not stopping at a red light is considered a racist act, a political ploy, or an attempt by the rich to control the poor. Seriously.
    Bam, you beat me to it. I see this kind of behavior no matter where I am in the city and I don't mean to lump people into groups here, but it always seems to be your standard thugged out black male doing the driving.

I have always seen it as a case of where they must believe they have some special privilege over everyone else. The same applies where you'll see some guy just walk out into traffic to cross the street, while looking right at you as you're driving, almost daring you to him them.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post

Dearborn
    I love how everyones slows down on Southfield Freeway when they enters the Dearborn limits. South of Warren Ave, All traffic crawls at 55 mph on Southfield Freeway.
    Because if you think the Redford speed traps on Telegraph are bad, the Dearborn and Allen Park police have most drivers trained well for that stretch of Southfield. It's almost an oddity to not see anyone pulled over between Ford and 94 at any given time.

As long as we're talking speed traps, there's a notorious one on Telegraph just south of 94 when you come out from under the railroad tracks. The Taylor P.D. has nailed me there a couple of times. Only my golden tongued powers of persuasion, and the application of a few extra bucks in fines, had saved me from the painful higher insurance premiums these jokers would have caused me.