Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default I Want To Join The DPD.

Those who know me on here know I'm a big Detroit supporter, have my family in the city, but am facing some employment issue. One of the options I am seriously looking into is joining the local police department. Are there openings in the DPD? What should I know about joining the DPD?

I'm looking over the DPD website now. This is actually something that interests me. Thanks to anyone who offers me a hand or some advice.

detmich Guest

This may hold a few clues as to a future on the job with the DPD.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1091

3. Default

Paging officer Supersport....

Why??????? Join a department where the administration really cares!

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Why??????? Join a department where the administration really cares!
    Sounds like he lives in Detroit and needs a job. It's not like Detroit has multiple police departments from which to choose...

DetroitDad:
    Sorry to see the not so positive response. I understand the job issue, and offer you my best wishes.
    If I thought that they could use a 60 year old factory rat and former Cass Corridor hippie, I might join up with you.
    Last edited by Bobl; June-02-09 at 01:31 AM. Reason: punctuation

If you need the job...go for it...and more power to you. Stay safe!

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks!

No one has any other advice or thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Thanks!

No one has any other advice or thoughts?
    I believe Ray1936 was with DPD. Try paging him on this part of the forum or sending him a message. Things may have changed since he was with them but I'm sure some basics still apply. If nothing else, maybe he can lead you to someone who can give you some more info.
    Here's a link to DPD's recruiting page.
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...2/Default.aspx

The agency I work for here in Texas is actively recruiting & received about 40 letters of intent from people while at a Detroit job fair recently. Many of them were Michigan State Police troopers who were being laid off. I don't know if you want to actually move down here though because you could be stationed out in the middle of bumfuck west Texas. Plus you gotta love 100 degree days coupled with 80% humidity in such lovely spots as Houston.
    Good luck & keep researching.
    Last edited by MoparDan; June-03-09 at 08:05 PM.

MoparDan:
    per your quote "...The agency I work for here in Texas is actively recruiting & received about 40 letters of intent from people while at a Detroit job fair recently. Many of them were Michigan State Police troopers who were being laid off. I don't know if you want to actually move down here though because you could be stationed out in the middle of bumfuck west Texas. Plus you gotta love 100 degree days coupled with 80% humidity..."

Perhaps you could sign up our former mayor for a moonlighting position. He could then afford his court ordered restitution, which he is not paying in full!

I haven't responded to this post because I've been away from the DPD for nearly 25 years, so I can't comment on current recruiting or employment conditions. However, I would recommend a person seek a law enforcement position from nearly any other city or county in Michigan. Detroit's pension plan is very minimal, and while currently maintaining it's health, may have grave problems in the years ahead.

Bear in mind that in nearly all law enforcement jobs, you don't pay in to social security [[an equal amount goes into the pension fund instead). But that means unless you have accumulated 40 quarters of other employment that DID pay into social security, you will not be eligible for Medicare. And that is more important than space allows me to discuss.

If you do go to the DPD, well, get yourself a couple or three good years of experience, and then apply to another agency. They love that on your background, plus the fact that you're already certified.

As some old guy once said, "If this be treason, then make the most of it."

Clinton Township is advertising police vacancies in local newspapers. Check their website.

First step is to fill out an interest card at recruiting over on Dexter. After that, get ready to wait, and be patient. In the mean time, you're gonna have to have some sort of job to fall back on. Hiring is nearly at a hault due to the budget, probably won't be a new class start till fall, and I'm sure they have that one filled. So realistically, be ready to wait about a year before you'd have a chance to get in. If Detroit gets the federal stimulous money for the department, which it sounds very promising, then that could speed things up. They requested enough funds to hire an additional 1,000 officers. That would be a hiring blitz that the city hasn't seen since the mid 1980's.

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Supersport, what is it like?

Its been a long time for me to[[not quite as long as ray)but here's some thoughts..Make sure you discuss it with you family,its a big change for everyone.It can be the best and the worst thing you have ever done.Its a great job and I miss it.PM me if you want to discuss.....Dave

My brother, who used to hate the police is trying to join with the assistance of a family friend who took him on a ride along. My only concern is that he tends to be macho and brutish at times, and hopefully will stay out of trouble and not get hurt in the line of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Thanks again to everyone who replied. Supersport, what is it like?
    Well, if you live in Detroit, then you have a pretty good idea as to what to expect. That being said, not a day goes by that you don't have to shake your head and wonder "What the hell is wrong with some people?"

Perhaps the biggest reason for the the seemingly inefficiency of the department can be placed upon the people who call 911. Where I grew up, how I was raised, there are just certain things that should be handled without the assistance of police. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting "Take the law into your own hands," I'm simply saying that there are a great number of police runs that amount to nothing more than family troubles, marital problems, and perhaps the most prominent of the bunch, lack of parenting in society.

By the time the child raised with zero discipline reaches 13 or 14, they are out of control. The parents resort to calling the police, expecting us to discipline a kid who was raised in a way that offers no respect for elders, friends, or people of authority.

Another big change you will develop is a very twisted sense of humor. A humor that more than anything, is a way of coping with what you will deal with and see on a day to day basis. The runs that come over the radio, well, often you can't help but laugh. The seriousness of a run is no joke, yet when an update comes out "Person is now armed with a butcher knife," well, use your imagination. People armed with bats, chains, and bricks.....again, the fight scene from Anchorman pops in my head.

Lastly, as Dave said, its a big change. Take that into consideration and talk it over with your family. For a number of years, you'll be on either afternoons or midnights. That means limited time with your family. Throw in court time, and even your days starts to get taken away by work. My soon to be wife has struggled with my crazy hours most of our relationship, though has accepted that it's simply how it's going to be for some time. Be warned though, you'll quickly find that a great number of officers have been divorced, often because of the job.

With all that said, let me just say this. I did the college thing, worked as a designer making double the money of starting pay. Yet for those 6 1/2 years sitting behind a computer designing automotive parts, I was miserable. Towards the end, I knew it wasn't for me. I was more of a people person, not a "sit in a dark cubical with headphones on" type of guy. When finally laid off from my last job, it was more of a blessing for me. Until put in a situation where I wasn't making $60K+ a year, it was hard to see that the grass was greener on the other side of the fence, even with half the money.

One last thing, the starting pay is around $30K, give or take a few thousand. Your pay will jump quickly after you graduate though. You get a $1,000 raise after the academy, and a $3,000 raise after 1 year. From then on, it's a $4,000-$5,000 raise each year until 5 years when you top out at $53,232. Now, consider that is simply your base pay. Factor in court time, and OT, and you're bound to make quite a bit more than your base. While my base pay was $33K for most of my first year, I believe I make about $40K. This year, I'm probably easily going to top $50K with just court time, and that's with practically zero OT so far this year. With the summer upon us, OT is slowing coming, so that gross pay could go up signicantly.

You get two vacations a year, called furloughs. If you plan your days right, you have about 3 weeks off at a time. At my precinct, we have a good thing going. Moral is high, work ethic is there, and everybody gets along great. It creates an environment where work is fun, and often even competitve, with crews trying to beat out other crews on their monthly stats.

Again, put a lot of thought into it, and talk it over with the family. If you think the change in career is for you, then welcome aboard, and good luck!

Ravine Guest

I am curious about just how the monthly stats contest works.

"For a number of years, you'll be on either afternoons or midnights. That means limited time with your family."

I think that is a big hidden cost that people don't take into account when realizing the difficult service our public safety worker perform. And I think you are mild in its description because you have to factor in the concern for safety that is always in the background thinking of every family. IMO police officers, particularly those who serve our difficult inner cities are greatly underpaid.

Actually, I loved afternoons and midnights. That was when all the action took place. The day shift was pretty boring, although it made going to court a lot easier.

Of course, "the action" got old after a while, and my last ten years were on the day shift with weekends off. Thank you very much!