Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How about a 9PM curfew?

Following mayhem Saturday night on the Country Club Plaza, a spokesman for Kansas City Mayor Sly James said today he is drafting a letter regarding a possible new citywide curfew.

Spokesman Danny Rotert said a copy of the letter is not yet available, but he expects it will go out today. Rotert said discussions are underway at City Hall about a possible new curfew, and Mayor James wants to invite people into the conversation about that policy change.

The city’s current curfew is midnight on weekends and 11 p.m. the rest of the week. But talk of a possible 9 p.m. curfew gained traction after three teens were injured in shootings late Saturday as large crowds of teens congregated on the Country Club Plaza. The mayor was at the Plaza assessing the crowd situation, and his bodyguards pushed him to the ground as they heard shots ring out.

Highwoods Properties, which owns the Plaza, had called for an earlier curfew even prior to Saturday night’s violence.

Rotert said the mayor’s office is now looking to advise stakeholders such as school districts, parents, police and merchants that a new curfew may be coming. Rotert said the current discussions concern a 9 p.m. curfew citywide, not just on the Plaza.

The City Council would have to approve a curfew change, and could do so as early as its legislative meeting this Thursday.
    http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/15...ew-curfew.html

Something for Detroit to consider?

17 and under on the street after 9PM, you get picked up and held until a parent or legal guardian picks you up.

Detroit doesn't have enough cops right now.
    Aren't they just going to be spread even thinner?

Isn't there a curfew in place already? There was certainly one when I was a Detroit teenager in the midst of the crack wars, 20 years ago...

Yeah, I don't think a curfew would do anything. If I'm going out at night to do something bad an unenforced curfew isn't going to keep them home. The law doesn't stop them from smoking/drinking/drugs, and those are even enforced sometimes.

Philly has just started a similar curfew on weekends only I believe. If nothing else, it sends the message that we've got our eyes on you for doing something wrong ie. being out past curfew, similar to the zero tolerance for petty crimes discussed on the other thread.

We already have a curfew law: http://library.municode.com/index.as...ename=Michigan

Except for young kids [[13 and under) this is impossible to enforce. Can you imagine the community response if people were constantly harassed by police cause they "looked young"? Save the curfews for martial law and find better solutions without criminalizing all teenagers in the process.

Aw, Mommmm...can't it be when the streetlights come on?!

[[knowing full well some nights they don't come on at all...LOL...)

I agree with Russix.

A temporary early curfew would be nesessary if [[or when) we were dealing with the problems that Philly currently has, but we aren't. I live in the downtown area and have yet to see roving gangs of youth picking the neighborhood apart. As a matter of fact, it's GROWN ASS PEOPLE who i see out my window throwing garbage onto my street, urinating onto my building, shooting people, yellin and cussin and carrying on.

When those police state cameras go up, the proof will be in the pudding....

Since most of you folks are unfamiliar with Country Club Plaza... let me put this whole story into context....

Country Club Plaza, the country's first mall [[in the sense of using autombiles)... was built in the nicest part of Kansas City MO. it was started in 1922, and it would be what you would get, if you crossed a movie palace with a shopping center.... all the buildings have over the top Spanish details... towers, artwork, fountain's, pools, nighttime colorful lighting, etc... almost like an outdoor movie palace. One cannot call this Disneyesque, since the level of attention to detail exceeds Disney's standards... it's more like the Venetian in Las Vegas.

It's an upscale mall in the nicest part of Kansas City... at least that's the way it was for decades... not sure about today. But a sign that is all to familiar in Detroit and inner suburbs.... the center's theatre [[Spanish baroque Plaza Theatre, by theatre architects "the Boller Brothers").... has been closed for some time, but it's still intact. Here's some info and great pics of the opulent center...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club_Plaza

If someone were to ask me what kind of mall could I would like in lower midtown, north of Foxtown.... I couldn't think of a better design to match the theatre district! Not as urban as some of you would like... but definitely parking friendly, and like the entertainment district... over the top!
    Last edited by Gistok; August-16-11 at 12:50 AM.

I almost started a post about this yesterday when I read that Philly has racheted up their curfew in two areas of the city that were having problems with rampant youth: University City and Center City. In thier case, they seem to be taking a holistic approach to the problem... in addition to the curfew for those areas, they are keeping rec centers open late and sponsoring social events like bowling, etc for the under 18 crowd in the areas around the city that are not in the special curfew zone. A great idea IMO, but I know that Detroit could never pull it off with the current financial situation.

http://articles.philly.com/2011-08-1...hs-first-night

Its not just kids who are causing problems anymore. Adults who act like children cause most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Detroit doesn't have enough cops right now.
    Aren't they just going to be spread even thinner?
    I agree.

If we can't get police to a B&E in progress in under two hours how are we going to enforce a curfew?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/15...ew-curfew.html

Something for Detroit to consider?

17 and under on the street after 9PM, you get picked up and held until a parent or legal guardian picks you up.
    A 10 pm curfew is presently law in Detroit. It only gets enforced on Angels Night.

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    A 10 pm curfew is presently law in Detroit. It only gets enforced on Angels Night.
    Thats a 6pm emergency curfew.

Teens Say Curfew Tickets Aren't Fair
    A group of teenagers say they were ticketed by Detroit police outside their mosque for no reason .....
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28885047/detail.html

This is the problem with cops enforcing the law by writing tickets instead of using common sense. They could build some good will and do their job by simply saying, "You know guys you're violating curfew. I'm not gonna write tickets if all of you stay on the mosque property while someone goes inside and gets a parent to take responsibility for you."

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Philly has just started a similar curfew on weekends only I believe. If nothing else, it sends the message that we've got our eyes on you for doing something wrong ie. being out past curfew, similar to the zero tolerance for petty crimes discussed on the other thread.
    They do have one. It is only in West Philly and Center City. The city means well but the problem is that none of the parents or kids will pay for the fines they would get so it doesn't really work. If the parents actually played a role in their kids lives, they wouldn't be beating up people downtown every weekend. This is a similar problem with the courts here as well. No one will pay court dues or fees so a lot of cases get thrown out and the city makes no money. You only get a $200 ticket for carrying marijuana here because the new DA doesn't want to waste time and money in court.