Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Vox Guest

Default Channel 7 Reports Giant Stove Burns Tonight

All I have is from the channel 7 link on Facebook. I imagine more to come, soon.

Buy American Guest

Just another piece of Detroit history turned to ashes by some two bit thug low life scum arsonist who doesn't give a $hit about anything. The stove was a part of my history, my memories; it meant a lot to some Detroiters but that doesn't matter anymore. It's not part of their history so what the hell. Burn baby Burn. I'm totally fed up with Detroit and what it's turning into. Babies being shot, old women raped, young children being raped, gang retaliation....this is the Mexico, U.S. border from the sound of it.

I'm totally fed up with Detroit and what it's turning into
    Where have you been? Detroit has been in the toilet for well over 30 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Where have you been? Detroit has been in the toilet for well over 30 years...
    Exactly. It's not like this is anything new!

Are you talking about the stove that was in front of Belle Isle for many many years?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Just another piece of Detroit history turned to ashes by some two bit thug low life scum arsonist who doesn't give a $hit about anything. The stove was a part of my history, my memories; it meant a lot to some Detroiters but that doesn't matter anymore. It's not part of their history so what the hell. Burn baby Burn. I'm totally fed up with Detroit and what it's turning into. Babies being shot, old women raped, young children being raped, gang retaliation....this is the Mexico, U.S. border from the sound of it.
    Did you light it? None of the news reports have indicated a cause for the fire.

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/hso/sites/15650.htm
    Is this the Giant Stove you speak of?

Vox Guest

Figures that the d-bag Buy American would jump to conclusions. It's probably struck by lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/hso/sites/15650.htm
    Is this the Giant Stove you speak of?

That would be the one...wasn't it on the state fair grounds at one time?

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    That would be the one...wasn't it on the state fair grounds at one time?
    That is where it is, in what condition after today, I don't know. It used to be on a building West of Belle Isle once many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    That is where it is, in what condition after today, I don't know. It used to be on a building West of Belle Isle once many years ago.
    It was next to the Uniroyal Building which was next to Belle Isle.

The large mahagony wooden stove is from the Detroit Stove works. It sat near the entrance by Belle Isle [[perhaps from the 1890's till they moved it to the State Fair Grounds. I believe it was at first, outside the State Fair park grounds, on Woodward. But it fell into disrepair perhaps a little vandalism too., then it was taken down and put into storage for a long period of time.

Then it was "discovered".in storage, restored, then put back at the State Fair Grounds, but this time, inside of the fenced in fair grounds. I guess, for protection from vandals... a good move.

But I too am waiting for details on what happened to this landmark.

They probably should have moved it north of 8 Mile..

They should have moved it into Royal Oak, right where Main Street and Woodward are where they've been unable to come up with a plan for that area for 20 years. Everyone should know leaving ANYTHING in Detroit is going to get destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackdog View Post
    They should have moved it into Royal Oak, right where Main Street and Woodward are where they've been unable to come up with a plan for that area for 20 years. Everyone should know leaving ANYTHING in Detroit is going to get destroyed.
    That's a brilliant idea, because everyone knows that lightning never strikes in Royal Oak.

The stove was hit by lightning.

My grandfather immigrated from Sicily to work at the Detroit Stove Company.

Not arguing the point, but where did you hear it was hit by lightning?

I saw the stove in pieces when it was stored in the stables at Fort Wayne prior to its restoration at the Fairgrounds.

It should have been put on the roof of the Detroit Historical Museum years ago.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    It was next to the Uniroyal Building which was next to Belle Isle.
    Where was it when it was used as an advertising for Schaefer bread?

And this was from 1926 or so:

Vox Guest

Detroit — Fire officials today said it appears lightning from a Saturday storm caused "World's Largest Stove" to catch fire at the State Fairgrounds.
    Detroit firefighters were dispatched to the grounds near Woodward and Eight Mile around 8 p.m. and didn't clear the scene until around 10 p.m., said Michael Herron, a Detroit Fire Department senior chief
    Herron said fire reports says the blaze occurred through "natural causes."
    "It was just about the time when the storm went through," he said. "[[Lightning) could have hit and smoldered for a long time before anyone even noticed it."
    The 15-ton, 25-foot-high oak stove was build in 1883 by the Michigan Stove Co. for the World's Fair in Chicago. It was restored and moved to its current location in 1998.
    The State Fair shut down in 2009 due to state funding cuts.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110814/...#ixzz1V1yFzZVP

I would have to say that no matter how the fire started, it's unfortunate to have history like this destroyed. I've also been out of Michigan since 2004 and I didn't even know until reading this thread that the state fair closed in 2009. WTF! Is it somewhere else or does the Michigan no longer have a state fair?

Quote Originally Posted by DinNC View Post
    I would have to say that no matter how the fire started, it's unfortunate to have history like this destroyed. I've also been out of Michigan since 2004 and I didn't even know until reading this thread that the state fair closed in 2009. WTF! Is it somewhere else or does the Michigan no longer have a state fair?
    Michigan no longer has a state fair.

They really should have never closed that fair. Not that it would have prevented the stove from being struck, but it was one annual events that every one would go to and it was awesome. I hope they bring it back.

Any daytime images of how the stove fared?

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zackdog View Post
    Yes, because lightening never strikes wonderful, beautiful, awesome, exciting, perfect, ever-so-trendy Royal Oak, the mecca of Oakland County, the greatest place in the galaxy.

The people and companies should have never abandoned Detroit for inconsequential shitholes like Royal Oak and Farmington in the first place. That is how we got to where we are today - The suckiest region in America.

That sucks. My great-aunt saw this thing go by on flatcars when it was hauled to the Chicago World's Exposition[["Devil In The White City", great read). Oh, that was 1893, not '83. It was a reminder when Detroit was the Stove Capital Of The World, before we stole the Auto Capital Of The World title from Indiana

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast