Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Buying a home owned by the land bank

So, I'm interested in a house in East English Village. A sign on the front window says it's owned by the land bank.

How do I begin trackig down info on it? Where do I start?

I would imagine you need to contact these people..sorry I don't have the phone number:

DETROIT LAND BANK AUTHORITY
    65 CADILLAC SQUARE, SUITE 3200
    DETROIT, MICHIGAN 48226

Which land bank, the State land bank [[Michigan Fast Track Land Bank Authority) or Detroit Land Bank?

Hmm. I'll have to go back tomorrow and get that answer. Is there an EEV community association that I can contact, as well?

The Detroit Land Bank is at http://www.detroitlandbank.org/ and it lists some properties it has for sale.

The EEV has a Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/eastenglishvillage?sk=info

Anything else you need to know about Detroit? Just let me know because in the 1980's I took a train that went right through it. Also watched some Tiger Games on TV

Pcm,

East English Village has their own website...http://www.eastenglishvillage.org
    There, you will find plenty of contact numbers/e-mail address' that may prove helpful...
    Good luck and keep us informed!

Paul
    Last edited by PaulieG63; August-14-11 at 05:38 AM. Reason: fix web link

I just tried my attached link...stated the site has been suspended. I'm not sure whats up [[I've been visiting the site regularily for many, many months w/o an issue.) I'm sure it will be up and running soon.

Paul

Ocean, thanks for your sarcasm. I found the websites.

I should have been more specific, does anyone have any EXPERIENCE dealing with the land bank?

Paul, thanks for your help, also. I would like to chat with some EEV homeowners.

Sorry I was being facetious not sarcastic. It happens to everyone - you think of where to look and call for info and then its right there on the web. Countless times I've had to hear from my son "Dad just google it"

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Ocean, thanks for your sarcasm. I found the websites.

I should have been more specific, does anyone have any EXPERIENCE dealing with the land bank?

Paul, thanks for your help, also. I would like to chat with some EEV homeowners.
    I am an EEV homeowner and resident. What would you like to know?

If I am not mistaken Wayne County has a land bank too. I wish I could be of better assistance but I work mostly on policy and infastructure issues so it is out of my realm. Check with thier community development folks.

Wayne County's land bank is for properties in Wayne County, but not in Detroit., I believe.

Good luck PCM.

By the way, good idea not posting the address of the property... apparently, sometimes carpetbaggers swoop in.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I am an EEV homeowner and resident. What would you like to know?
    DetroitPole,

Are you aware of any typical problems with homes in the neighborhood [[sinking foundations, termites, mice/rats, etc)?

I know that there are plenty of bars/restaurants in the Pointes. Have any recommendations for food/drinks in EEV [[other than Cadieux Cafe)?

How active is the neighborhood association?

Would the neighborhood welcome a young couple [[with their occasional get-togethers and general monkey-business)?

Thanks!

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    DetroitPole,

Are you aware of any typical problems with homes in the neighborhood [[sinking foundations, termites, mice/rats, etc)?

I know that there are plenty of bars/restaurants in the Pointes. Have any recommendations for food/drinks in EEV [[other than Cadieux Cafe)?

How active is the neighborhood association?

Would the neighborhood welcome a young couple [[with their occasional get-togethers and general monkey-business)?

Thanks!
    Hi Pcm,

We don't have a mice, rat, or bug problems to speak of in the neighborhood. The only thing I encountered with houses were that if they were vacant and looked vacant [[which foreclosures are GREAT for, thanks Fannie and Freddie) they are often stripped of their plumbing, often causing significant damage. Other than that these houses aren't going anywhere - they're built to last. Get a home inspector before you close, anyway, they cost about $300 but will tell you anything that might be wrong with the house.

There are a few good places on the Detroit side of things. High Noon Saloon [[Warren and Woodhall) and Nikki's Place [[Harper and Bluehill) are both gritty dives but with nice, friendly patrons and staff [[think, I dunno, Jumbo's, Old Miami, Temple Bar). My Dad's Bar at Kercheval and Alter in Detroit is a retro-looking new place that is a little less divey than the former 2 and attracts a wide range of clientele with super friendly service. My favorite is Ye Olde Tap room at Charlevoix and Alter [[still Detroit) which has hundreds of beers from around the world and was built just before Prohibition to serve as a Speakeasy and house of ill repute.

As far as restaurants on the Detroit side, Blue Pointe at Cadieux and Warren is rather upscale with good Italian and Seafood and a nice bar. You can get some good Mexican at La Cina at Bluehill and Mack, and Dish is a popular, healthy, local carryout place on Mack and Canyon.

The neighborhood association is extremely active.
    Meetings are the second Wednesday of each month, 7:30pm at St. Clare of Montefalco Church. The newsletter is delivered monthly within the neighborhood.

Young couples are extremely welcome. I am a component of a young couple as well. The neighborhood skews older, for many obvious reasons, but within the past few years a rash of young people have jumped on the low priced homes, much to the relief of the older homeowners, who don't want to see places go to shady folks or sit vacant. I guess the only other caution I would offer young people is that yes, the neighborhood is largely older, and you probably wouldn't be well-liked if you had giant parties all the time with loud bands or something or frat-party-esque stuff that might fly in, say, Midtown or Woodbridge. It is extremely, delightfully quiet here. Still, virtually everyone here likes to party, barbeque, the like, and I've thrown big parties that my neighbors happily attended. I just attended a neighbor's backyard party this past Saturday - lots of fun.

I know you didn't ask but some drawbacks I've found are:
    It is hard to get good groceries without going to Grosse Pointe. I usually pick my groceries up on the way home from work. There is the Eastside Farmer's Market at Alter and Mack, though, which is bikeable.
    The vacant homes are really the only neighborhood problem here, but that is a problem anywhere in the country now.
    There are some tacky, trashy, and/or ghetto neighbors that came along with the low home prices, but they're mostly outweighed by all the good people here.

We are having a home and garden tour in September featuring. Keep an eye out in the local periodicals for the date. Here are some pictures from the last one. It convinced me to buy in the neighborhood.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/eevtour/

Thanks for the info. That's basically what I expected to hear, it's good to be reassured.

For anyone who may care, we went to the Land bank today [[thanks for the address, Ocean) and spoke with someone there. Apparently, homes can be purchased through their Neighborhood Stabilization Program.

The program has not officially started. The office was formed only a year ago. We were told that interested buyers will be contacted this fall with info.

Homes owned by the DLBA will be rehabbed and sold for market prices to qualified buyers. Qualified basically means low-moderate income.