Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 90 Raids, 600 Arrests, DPD Doing Its Job, and I learn this on DRUDGE?

What the heck, Freep?! Are y'all ASLEEP?

Or is it that you somehow need to shelter everyone from this news...afraid of the shitstorm that would certainly rain down on the Comments section?

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/08/...3-5m-in-drugs/

Seems like the Police have been busy...if only it were for something worthwhile, and not this prohibition bullshit. <sigh>

It wasn't real, if none of Kwhyme's kidz got hit in this barrage...LOL...and a shit-ton of street-level 'subsistence' drug retailers will now be on parole...because I thought the jails were still pretty full.

Maybe they let the rapists, murderers, car-jackers, robbers, and the like out to squeeze these low-level drug economy folks in...

...OR they will now BECOME all of those, since they now have to spend a good deal of money they obviously don't have on lawyers...and penalties...and parole upkeep.

50/50 cheers on this one...sure is a nice view from this fence.
    Last edited by Gannon; August-13-11 at 03:19 PM.

LOL, I just read $3.5M net in drugs and thought "Wow, they could have paid Whole Foods with that money."

Buy American Guest

The talking head [[Godbee) wants people to think his "inside out" idea is working...what a laugh. They are killing each other by the dozens in Detroit!

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    LOL, I just read $3.5M net in drugs and thought "Wow, they could have paid Whole Foods with that money."
    How are they gonna do that? Sell the stuff?

lilpup Guest

More likely, Gannon, they can use the info they gather from the low levels to move on to bigger fish - learn new faces, see the web of contacts, get a few guns off the street and check to see if those guns have been used in any other cases - lots of intel that can be gathered. Picking them up doesn't necessarily mean they have to jail them all. They might even be able to flip a few.

I saw an article in both the freep and detnews yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    I saw an article in both the freep and detnews yesterday.

Thanks Parkguy...my bad, then.

I peruse the Freep on-line often, until now I'd have said every day...and sworn it was thorough. Guess I need to exercise that habit a bit.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Maybe they let the rapists, murderers, car-jackers, robbers, and the like out to squeeze these low-level drug economy folks in...
    Awesome work DPD. Keep it up!

A raid of a quarter million in cash doesn't seem low level to me:
    "On August 9th, Detroit narcotics officers raided a home located on the west side of Detroit, where they confiscated two grams of marijuana with an approximate street value of $20 and $232,585 in cash, two handguns and two long guns."

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    More likely, Gannon, they can use the info they gather from the low levels to move on to bigger fish - learn new faces, see the web of contacts, get a few guns off the street and check to see if those guns have been used in any other cases - lots of intel that can be gathered. Picking them up doesn't necessarily mean they have to jail them all. They might even be able to flip a few.

But it is ALL bullshit...drugs are only a problem because they are under prohibition, which I thought we learned back in the 30s didn't work! Take away the black market...and the tommy guns go away. It WAS pretty clear.

This is all a bunch of crap. The REAL big boyz won't get caught...but expect anyone else who isn't politically protected to be penalized a bit. I most certainly hope they only look upwards...LOL...don't know how many of these guys have my phone number in their cell memories and call histories!!!!

I keed, I keed...but hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

Watch the big spin become how many of them have medical marijuana cards with the State...and how they were abusing their privilege...and I wonder how many of these WERE actually 'legal' operations?!

The deep issue, though, to me is that these raids were directed by citizen tips. Snitches. There could have been some 'competition elimination' in this, too. It IS a pretty crowded marketplace, yanno.

Whatever happened to the good, ol' No Snitch policy in the streets, huh?! Damn.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Awesome work DPD. Keep it up!

A raid of a quarter million in cash doesn't seem low level to me:
    "On August 9th, Detroit narcotics officers raided a home located on the west side of Detroit, where they confiscated two grams of marijuana with an approximate street value of $20 and $232,585 in cash, two handguns and two long guns."

LOL...yeah, big raid. Two grams of dope. TWO GRAMS OF WEED! That is at best a day's worth, for most smokers. So, they happened to have a couple hundred grand in their stash...lotsa people in the city don't trust the banks. Why ya gotta assume, Dave, are you THAT afraid of cash?! Most have weapons, too. It is a harsh place, Joe Sixpack and his bride have been arming themselves lately, too.

I don't see how they can confiscate all of that over TWO GRAMS OF WEED! LOL...this is quite ridiculous.

Two grams of weed...probably dropped that much between my couch cushions last week. Whoa. Gotta go clean up, then.

Cheers, anyways. And YES, I'm being facetious...and having fun on this sunny Saturday afternoon.
    Last edited by Gannon; August-13-11 at 03:20 PM.

How are they gonna do that? Sell the stuff?
    Watch for Mayor Bong's new dispensary, opening next to the cafeteria at the CAY next week.

two grams of dope...

lilpup Guest

Maybe some pharma company should develop a recycling program to purify and package all the stuff that gets seized, along with prescription meds that get turned in unused. It might help lower the cost of some medical care as well as do something useful with what would otherwise just go into the waste stream.

Wow Gannon. You're my new hero.

90 raids and 600 arrests, and only 69 guns confiscated?! I hear about trapper keepers that have dozens of high powered weapons EACH.

Not to mention the 60+ vehicles they confiscated.

Looks like this has a lot less to do with crime and a lot more to do with revenue.

lilpup Guest

I don't agree with that. How many times have people on this board bitched about police not responding? Now the police are acting on citizen tips, trying to eliminate those very situations people claim make their neighborhoods so bad and people on this board are still bitching?

Doesn't solve the problem. It exacerbates it.

Eliminate all drug prohibition NOW, then the base of the problem will go away.

Elliot Ness had to find a new job after it ended, and that one was a g'darned CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT!!!!

Sincerely,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Wow Gannon. You're my new hero.

90 raids and 600 arrests, and only 69 guns confiscated?! I hear about trapper keepers that have dozens of high powered weapons EACH.

Not to mention the 60+ vehicles they confiscated.

Looks like this has a lot less to do with crime and a lot more to do with revenue.

Aw shucks...

It IS quite telling that of 600 arrested...only 10% of them could be armed and driving around.

<sigh>

Yeah, they got the big guys. Ain't a ONE of these gonna turn those above 'em in...they know the score.

John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-13-11 at 05:37 PM.

GOOD now lets take that $3.5 mil. and invest it in catching more criminals

Steve bennet Guest

I don't agree with that. How many times have people on this board bitched about police not responding? Now the police are acting on citizen tips, trying to eliminate those very situations people claim make their neighborhoods so bad and people on this board are still bitching?
    Yeah people are still bitching.

Instead of raiding drug houses, why not go after the hundreds/thousands of unsolved homicides? All raiding a drug house does is open a new network almost instantly. Nothing was accomplished.

Buy American Guest

I find it really coincidental that just about the time Godbee introduces this "inside out" campaign, things are widely published regarding huge drug raids, people arrested, guns taken away from thugs....it just seems like the timing couldn't have worked out better for him....am I wrong?

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I find it really coincidental that just about the time Godbee introduces this "inside out" campaign, things are widely published regarding huge drug raids, people arrested, guns taken away from thugs....it just seems like the timing couldn't have worked out better for him....am I wrong?
    Hardly.

I'm a firm believer that the distrubution of drugs is this country is controlled by the powers that be. They don't want them legal, but they don't want to get rid of them either. Raids are good publicity for an interest group that is "putting it's foot down" on the drug problem. Everyone knows the "drug war" is bullshit, but it generates money and jobs.

It could be both, yanno.

I agree with you both...or did I read your reply wrong...and you're agreeing with him, too?!

It also is convenient timing, these busts go down and the East Side erupts in warfare the next weekend.

More elimination of competition...condensing of the distribution network. It will be very curious to see who comes out on top now.

No cheers,
    John

Ya beat me to it. I was gonna say that it seems like appropriate timing that the eastside bullet war started within days of these busts. All it did was create a power vacuum that is consolidating itself through bloodshed.

Steve bennet Guest

I bet this is similar to what happens currently in Mexico when top members of a cartel are busted. I would guess what for the short time after, violence increases until the power shift is complete.