Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dream Scenario - Tiger in World Series vs. Gibbie's Diamondbacks

Wouldn't that be fun? A long shot, true, but not impossible as his Diamondbacks have moved into a two game lead over the world champion Giants.

I am so happy to see Kirk Gibson doing so well as manager. I had always hoped he would be the Tiger's manager, but Trammel [now his assistant] got the call and then Leland, who I also like, blocked his possible path. He is my all time Tiger favorite and I sat behind him his entire career in the lower right field bleachers of Tiger Stadium.

I loved his intensity and fire, even overlooking his shaky fielding lol, and his relishing the opportunity for the big clutch moment. That is why I always felt he would make a good manager. He was fearless and and intensely wanted to and tried to win every time. He was a winner all his life and now he is showing it again.

Agreed, it would be fun but only if the Tigers won of course. I really never saw Gibby as a baseball manager. Head football or basketball coach, yes, but not baseball where intensity can't really be pushed on slumping players over a long schedule. Patience, keeping everyone on an even keel, knowing strengths and weaknesses and handling a bullpen are really the keys to a good mgr.

I think sitting on the bench for Trammel for 2 yrs probably helped Gibson a lot as well as playing for Sparky [[10 times the mgr. Leyland will ever be) all those years. It's great how Gibby and Tram have remained such buddies. I laugh when I think how Gibson must have wanted to hit some guys while watching the Tigers lose all those games in 2003.