Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Places to going swimming [[with your dog)

What are the best places to go swimming with your dog?

We have been to Bloomer State Park, Point Pelee... and... wow, that's pretty much it.

Any other ideas?

Metro Beach [[the whole park) is off limits to dogs. Belle Isle is surrounded by treacherous unstacked cement.

You can swim with your dogs at Pointe Pelee? I have never been there, where do you stay with the dogs? We are also looking for dog friendly summer trips.

Ipperwash Beach, Ontario has a great pet friendly beach. Public access and boat launches, plus small picnic areas with rustic washrooms. Just watched two families with four dogs [[two golden labs, a poodle, and one I could not identify) enjoy the beach this past weekend. Too cold for me for a few weeks!
    A nice day trip and picnic, but you must have passports or secure ID and vaccination records.

Quote Originally Posted by cycledetroit View Post
    You can swim with your dogs at Pointe Pelee? I have never been there, where do you stay with the dogs? We are also looking for dog friendly summer trips.
    You sure can. Out on the East beach you can jump right in with your canine pals. You arent really supposed to swim on the West side, due to winds, nor on the furthest reaches of the point due to the odd current [[which you really have to see).

We haven't stayed there overnight though because our dog is about 90lbs and most hotels only go for <60# if at all.

Thing is... its a fairly quick drive from Detroit. About 40 miles.

Belle Ilse by the light house at the east end, right at the beginning of the canal that separates the blue heron lagoon and the powerhouse .
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bbowm...llemaps-b.html

I swim with my dog at the beach in Luna Pier on Lake Erie. Just stay away from the roped off public swimming area. Beach is about a mile off I-75 at Luna Pier exit.

Second on Rajdet. Best swimming hole in town.