Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Residential parking shakedown

Tuesday or Wednesday, "NO PARKING -- POLICE ORDER" signs were posted on my block for Thursday. So yesterday, everybody moved their cars a block away. No work of any kind was done and I spotted a parking violations car, an unusual sight for Corktown. Posting unexpected parking rules on a residential street when it isn't for snow removal, roadwork, street cleaning, or even a film shoot... that's pretty sleazy.

Perhaps it was to get all the broken down and unused cars off the streets.

Steve bennet Guest

I blame Obama.

That could have been for bike lanes getting installed, were you on 10th street?

Here's a list of all the street closures for this week
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2011/08/1...hwest-detroit/

I live on Bagley near The Lodge. I have seen maps showing that this stretch of street is to be part of the bike lane and greenway system, but I haven't seen a recent map that shows clearly whether Bagley will get bike lanes all the way to 6th.

In any case, hooray for bike lanes, but no work was done here.

I'm waiting for the self-righteous nits to come a'-pickin' at ya for disobeying a posted notice...LOL.

I DO believe you are right, though.

Let's see if they do this in other neighborhoods...it could develope into a class-action.

They used to do this regularly. I worked in the Plaza Building, and I would get to work and park on LaBrosse or somewhere. Get back after work and find a ticket that I parked in a No Parking zone. What? Pop-up signs after work starts. Clever fund raiser for the City. That was way back before the state bought the GM Building.