Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default GPS Stolen from car today. Caught on Video

Im at work today and some A-hole broke into my car and stole my GPS.

Here is the video of it actually happening. If you know this guy, please contact Detroit Police...

Only took 8 seconds for them to steal it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBswv9qdcw

So you left your GPS out in the open for everyone to see and expect that no one will steal it? I am sorry but in this day an age with all the news on TV telling people NOT to leave things like this visible, you sitll ignore common sense and thought that no one would take it?

Its gone forever.....get a smart phone with it built in and that way its always with you. Lesson learned.....

I don't even leave a piece of paper visible, thugs will take anything any time.....

Steve bennet Guest

Doesn't everyone just use their cell phones as the GPS now?

To this guys defense, I probably wouldn't have thought to place it out of view because I would have figured nobody would want to steal it. It would be the equivalent of stealing a VCR or something along those lines,

Belive it or not we had a rash of car radios stolen a few summers ago.Why?How much can you get for a AM/FM cassette or cd?Phone gps is the way to go.These mooks who steals other folks stuff should be dealt with in a cruel and unsual way.Off with one hand 1st offense.Off with the second hand for a repeat offender.Let then depend on the kindness of strangers to wipe their ass.I'm sick of dopers,kids and shitheads ruining our world.I now sound like that angry ,cranky old guy,but stealing a gps and shooting a 3 year old girl can be connected.Thanks for putting up with my morning rant.

Were you planning on chasing them down?

Buy American Guest

I can't believe some of the comments above. Now, it's the victims fault instead of putting the blame directly where it should lie...on the friggin' thief. Just because it's "tempting" because it's visible doesn't mean that you should take it. Hang the thief by his balls in the public square!

COMPLETELY agree with above ^^^

^^me too...not everyone has or can afford the monthly fee for a smartphone.
    Last edited by Maof; August-12-11 at 08:13 AM.

Typical DYes, blame the victim

Were your windows down? Sorry, but I am with the above people. When you live in a city or work there, you never leave anything valuable in your car. You deserve to have it taken if you leave it out in plain view. I don't even leave my EZ Pass in the car at night.

I got a good look at his face, I'll keep my eyes open. And you'll notice starting at frame :24, he has a severe case of the crabs. Look for that.

As for smart phones, why should we chuck expensive slightly older technology, for expensive newer technology on the chance you might be ripped off? You can be robbed of smart phones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Doesn't everyone just use their cell phones as the GPS now?
    No.....no, we do not.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    No.....no, we do not.
    I'll double down on that.

Smart phones are made to make people idiots, some were pre-conditioned.

Sorry for your loss Claude G, don't listen to the haters. Sucks feeling so violated.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    No.....no, we do not.
    I agree. My GPS is used for the woods not for the roads. No app for that as pasty faced smartphone users won't be caught dead away from where there is no phone service.

Sorry to hear you got hit. I know the feeling. Its a pain in the butt!

To the person saying he left his car open, you can see he tried the door, it did not work so he went to the car to get something to bust out the passenger window. He then climbed in the window. This is a common way of entering cars as with many alarm systems the alarm won't go off untill a door is opened. thats how he got in and out so fast. just moved through the car like the snake he is.

Looks like it takes three of them to steal a GPS that they might be able to fence for $20. What losers. Probably caused at least $100 in damage and another $100-$250 to replace the GPS.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; August-12-11 at 08:45 AM.

Lotta good those security cameras do if they are not monitored...and standard resolution doesn't show a DAMN thing. Shame high definition costs so much more...

Looks like he had an accomplice, and somebody else lost a CAR.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 & Van Dyke View Post
    You deserve to have it taken if you leave it out in plain view.
    Really?

Somebody should rob your house. You deserve it for making such an absurd post.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Now, it's the victims fault instead of putting the blame directly where it should lie...on the friggin' thief.
    True as that may be, you have to take responsibility for securing your valuables. There have been dozens of news articles and on-air stories about not leaving things visible when you park in public places.

Yes, blame the thief, but if the owner had put the item in the trunk, or even the glove compartment, they may not have become a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    True as that may be, you have to take responsibility for securing your valuables. There have been dozens of news articles and on-air stories about not leaving things visible when you park in public places.

Yes, blame the thief, but if the owner had put the item in the trunk, or even the glove compartment, they may not have become a victim.
    Exactly. Welcome to the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I can't believe some of the comments above. Now, it's the victims fault instead of putting the blame directly where it should lie...on the friggin' thief. Just because it's "tempting" because it's visible doesn't mean that you should take it. Hang the thief by his balls in the public square!
    I agree.

I always hide my GPS and even the mount, but still, it's not the victim's fault.

As to those that say to use your phone, many of us preferred to have a dedicated, mounted GPS device and don't want to use our phones.

This past winter someone on my street had some stuff stolen from their unlocked car that was parked on the street.
    In mentioning this to my neighbors I was surprised how many of them also leave their cars unlocked.

I've heard/read numerous crime reports of thieves walking down a street and hitting unlocked cars.

I don't get it, how hard is it to lock your car up?

I don't think the above comments [[minus the ones questioning his choice of technology) are blaming the victims. It's just that there are common sense things that one can do to make them less likely to be the victim of a crime.

I'm with the others above. Blaming and scolding the victim [especially as the details are unknown, nothing is established as to whether or not the GPS was in the open, window was open or broken into etc.] is insensitive at the least and downright cold. Even if the facts were as some accuse, haven't any of you ever forgotten to stash something or lock your car? Sheesh.

The worst part of these drive-by smash-and-grab thieves is the cost of the damage they can do to a vehicle vs. the amount of money for which they can fence anything they grab.

A while back I had a catalytic converter sawed off, in broad daylight, in a highly trafficked area - Eastern Market parking llot between by Hirts and Russell St. Deli. When I Googled the fence value, it came to around $80. Cost of replacement, $500+, four hours of time spent, no car for a day. I had insurance but even my $100 deductible was more than the fence value. A TV report last night says these saw-offs take less than a minute.

So I guess that makes me guilty for not paying someone to watch my car?

Instead of venting against Claude without knowing the facts, the real wrath needs to be directed toward those who receive and pay for the stolen properties first, as they create the market, and then the street thieves.

Claude I hope some unexpected luck comes your way today. Sorry for your losses and inconvenience.

Were your windows down? Sorry, but I am with the above people. When you live in a city or work there, you never leave anything valuable in your car. You deserve to have it taken if you leave it out in plain view. I don't even leave my EZ Pass in the car at night.
    That is nothing short of absurd.

Could the OP have done a better job of concealing his/her valuables? Sure. Nonetheless, the person WHO BROKE INTO THE CAR is the one primarily at fault. This city is so f'ed up due in part to the mindset above.

Frankly, I like the OP for posting this video...trying to solve a personal property crime that occurred to them by posting the video online. I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Really?

Somebody should rob your house. You deserve it for making such an absurd post.
    Oooooh. Go ahead. I'd like to see them try. Maybe I should leave my computer, cell phones, stereo in plain view so they can easily grab it through the window. You are an idiot if you leave electronics in plain sight, especially in Detroit and your stuff deserves to get stolen. Move to the burbs if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm with the others above. Blaming and scolding the victim [especially as the details are unknown, nothing is established as to whether or not the GPS was in the open, window was open or broken into etc.] is insensitive at the least and downright cold. Even if the facts were as some accuse, haven't any of you ever forgotten to stash something or lock your car? Sheesh.

The worst part of these drive-by smash-and-grab thieves is the cost of the damage they can do to a vehicle vs. the amount of money for which they can fence anything they grab.

A while back I had a catalytic converter sawed off, in broad daylight, in a highly trafficked area - Eastern Market parking llot between by Hirts and Russell St. Deli. When I Googled the fence value, it came to around $80. Cost of replacement, $500+, four hours of time spent, no car for a day. I had insurance but even my $100 deductible was more than the fence value. A TV report last night says these saw-offs take less than a minute.

So I guess that makes me guilty for not paying someone to watch my car?

Instead of venting against Claude without knowing the facts, the real wrath needs to be directed toward those who receive and pay for the stolen properties first, as they create the market, and then the street thieves.

Claude I hope some unexpected luck comes your way today. Sorry for your losses and inconvenience.
    Always the voice of reason...+1.

Oooooh. Go ahead. I'd like to see them try. Maybe I should leave my computer, cell phones, stereo in plain view so they can easily grab it through the window. You are an idiot if you leave electronics in plain sight, especially in Detroit and your stuff deserves to get stolen. Move to the burbs if you don't like it.
    Who are you to say what people call valuable? If I'm by your house, see a flower pot in your window I for whatever reason want, and shatter your windows causing thousands of dollars of damage...is that your fault?
    Last edited by stinkytofu; August-12-11 at 09:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast