Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Exotic Fruit

Default Exotic Fruit

Does anyone know where to find more exotic types of fruits like passion fruit or jamaican Guineps?

I am not sure if this fruit [[melon) would be catorgorized exotic but I enjoy it. It's called piel de sapo and grown primarily in Spain. It's also known as Frog Melon because the outside looks like a frog's skin dark green with a bumpu surface. The fruit is white with seeds. It's very sweet with the consistency of a honeydew melon however it doesn't taste like any melon I have ever had before. I have only seen this melon at Kroger.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-11-11 at 04:19 PM.

I don't know where you live but Papa Joe's and many of the large Randazzo type markets have most things under the sun.

Westborn Markets always has some bizarre looking fruits on one of their stands in their stores. Heck if I know what half that stuff is but they just might have what you're looking for.

Westborn doesn't have either. I'll check papa joe's. where are there Randazzo's?

Whole Foods will special order passion fruit for you. guinep you will not find unless you have someone in miami or new york send it to you. Guieip is in season right now so you may be able to get it. Very rarely the african/caribean market on 6 mile [[313-838-6637) will have it. There is also a newer caribbean market on 9 mile in oak park [[248- 399-2375)

I love guinep!! especially off the tree in my father-in-laws yard in Jamaica!!

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Whole Foods will special order passion fruit for you. guinep you will not find unless you have someone in miami or new york send it to you. Guieip is in season right now so you may be able to get it. Very rarely the african/caribean market on 6 mile [[313-838-6637) will have it. There is also a newer caribbean market on 9 mile in oak park [[248- 399-2375)

Do you know anyplace that sells soursop fruit? I would even settle for soursop syrup...Thanks
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-12-11 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Does anyone know where to find more exotic types of fruits like passion fruit or jamaican Guineps?
    Have you tried Honey Bee or other stores in the Mexican Town area?

I worked the Port Royal excavations years ago. We had two trees on site and I just loved them.

This is how discovering Guineps went for me:
    The first one:Hmm. that's really different.
    The second: I think I like these
    The third: I can't get enough of these...

If you look in Mexican town, they might call it Guaya [[not Guava). Looks interesting. I will definitely look for it next time I go shopping there.

The larger Salvaggio's have really weird produce as well. The one on Rochester at M-59, and the huge one near Partridge Creek especially. They helpfully have placards in front of them saying where they are from, what they taste like, and how to eat them, or what to cook them with. The one on Rochester has a fairly large selection of exotic hot peppers as well.

I'm left wondering if the fruits that you're looking for are seasonal. My dad has this thing for Rainier cherries- and they're only available for a few weeks out of the year. Once they're gone, I have to wait until next season. So I'm wondering as much as you might look now, it just might be a timing issue.

Westborn doesn't have either. I'll check papa joe's. where are there Randazzo's?

There's a Randazzos on Telegraph @ Joy Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Do you know anyplace that sells soursop fruit? I would even settle for soursop syrup...Thanks
    you can get soursop juice at the caribbean markets i mentioned. There is a fruit you can sometimes get at wholefoods called cherimoya that tastes and eats very close to soursop.

God i love soursop, especially freshly juiced.

I worked the Port Royal excavations years ago. We had two trees on site and I just loved them.

This is how discovering Guineps went for me:
    The first one:Hmm. that's really different.
    The second: I think I like these
    The third: I can't get enough of these...
    theyre addictive! like eating peanuts in the shell, you cant stop.

Eastborn fruit market had fresh guavas this morning. Its on wyoming just north of warren.

you can get soursop juice at the caribbean markets i mentioned. There is a fruit you can sometimes get at wholefoods called cherimoya that tastes and eats very close to soursop.

God i love soursop, especially freshly juiced.
    Thanks so much...I don't live near a Whole Foods market. I will check Trader Joe's. When I lived in Kingston, Ja I ate them everyday. I've purchased the juice at a market in Windsor where I bought sorrell leaves and mauby bark but have not seen soursop there or in Detroit...thank's I will try the cherimoya.