Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is the Korean War about to Re-Start?

1. Where does North Korea get their military money?

2. What does North Korea want? I can't recall any article that said what they want.

3. Does this void warranties on Kias and Hyundais?

Indeed. My ex's son is there.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Not funny, we have almost 30,000 troops standing between the North and the South. If there is a war, US soldiers will bear the brunt of it.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    1. Where does North Korea get their military money?

2. What does North Korea want? I can't recall any article that said what they want.

3. Does this void warranties on Kias and Hyundais?
    1. Everything North Korea gets goes into their military. It's not a trifle unit; it's really very substantial.

2. They want the re-unification of Korea.

3. Don't matter to me, I'm a Ford man.

this is one where China and Russia need to take a active role..let them see what it is like to deal with a mad man ....they are supplying support and would lose if NK goes to war...we should have all th eplayers on thesame page..for one time we all loose with NK...

I wonder if this is a case of Kim Jong ll trying to show strength to his people, or, if its some of the other players in North Korea's government jockeying for position if Jong ll dies.

Either way, this saber rattling is cause for concern.

P.S. Hyundai and KIA are built in South Korea. Big difference.

Tri-Lateral Nukes would do the trick. American, Chinese and Russian missile strikes that would wipe them off the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    1. Everything North Korea gets goes into their military. It's not a trifle unit; it's really very substantial.

2. They want the re-unification of Korea.

3. Don't matter to me, I'm a Ford man.
    1. Yes, but where do they get that money? Is it from China? Are they exporting goods? Are we helping fund them indirectly by shopping at Walmart?

2. Why do they fire over Japan then? Just warning us to keep away while they take South Korea?

3. Doesn't matter to me, either, but if they do get their way or push for it then I would think Kia and Hyundai will not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

P.S. Hyundai and KIA are built in South Korea. Big difference.
    Isn't that the point? NK doesn't want a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Not funny, we have almost 30,000 troops standing between the North and the South. If there is a war, US soldiers will bear the brunt of it.
    You're right, it isn't funny when livelihood is at stake.

Thing is, I wouldn't be shocked if NK took over SK, we lost thousands of our troops... and then the "ME" and "MY" Americans went ahead and bought their Kias and Hyundais from the "reunited" Korea.

Perhaps our purchases from China are already funding NK.

Perhaps our purchases from China are already funding NK.
    Doubt it, as they have more to gain economically from siding with the more industrial and modern South Korea...

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Doubt it, as they have more to gain economically from siding with the more industrial and modern South Korea...
    They are getting money from South Korea? Sounds doubtful.

My uncle graduated from Southwestern HS in 1948. He joined the army reserves. Ended up in Korea in 1950. Korean troops bugged out during a attack and he ended up a POW. He had no use for those people.
    If the North develops it's nukes they will have a market for them in every lunatic group that hates the US.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    My uncle graduated from Southwestern HS in 1948. He joined the army reserves. Ended up in Korea in 1950. Korean troops bugged out during a attack and he ended up a POW. He had no use for those people.
    If the North develops it's nukes they will have a market for them in every lunatic group that hates the US.
    Better start picking up random North Korean "terrorists" and bring them to Gitmo for "questioning"

ccbatson Guest

I think [[and pray) that this is another bluff from North Korea. Regardless, how we play it [[strong versus weak) will send a powerful message to both North Korea and other hostile nations [[Syria, Iran).

Hopefully Obama will take a cue from the Great Teddy Roosevelt, and "speak softly and carry a big stick", and nip this in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    I think [[and pray) that this is another bluff from North Korea. Regardless, how we play it [[strong versus weak) will send a powerful message to both North Korea and other hostile nations [[Syria, Iran).
    Bush played it strong with Saddam and Iraq in 2003, it hasn't seem to have deterred Iran or North Korea from pursuing weapons programs, now has it?

Having grown up with a Korean War vet as my father, I myself can't belive that this stalemate has lasted almost 60yrs. I have a picture of my Uncle holding my cousin [his niece]. He was on leave from duty in Korea during the Vietnam war. Who would have thought in 1952 or 66 for that matter that we would be dealing with this problem in 2009. BTW my cousin would join the Air Force and spend 2 years in Korea.Some things never change.

Here is a very interesting take on this situation

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6374870.ece

Technically, we are are still at a cease fire after 56 years. The war in Korea has never been over....

They are getting money from South Korea? Sounds doubtful.
    yes, NK gets substantial aid from SK

China and South Korea remain the largest donors of food aid to North Korea. The U.S. objects to this manner of donating food due to lack of supervision. In 2005, China and South Korea combined to provide 1 million tons of food aid, each contributing half. In addition to food aid, China reportedly provides an estimated 80 to 90 percent of North Korea's oil imports at "friendly prices" that are sharply lower than the world market price.

On September 19, 2005, North Korea was promised fuel aid and various other non-food incentives from South Korea, the U.S., Japan, Russia, and China in exchange for abandoning its nuclear weapons program and rejoining the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Providing food in exchange for abandoning weapons programs has historically been avoided by the U.S. so as not to be perceived as "using food as a weapon".Humanitarian aid from North Korea's neighbors has been cut off at times to provoke North Korea to resume boycotted talks, For example, South Korea's had the "postponed consideration" of 500,000 tons of rice for the North in 2006 but the idea of providing food as a clear incentive [[as opposed to resuming "general humanitarian aid") has been avoided.There have also been aid disruptions due to widespread theft of railroad cars used by mainland China to deliver food relief.
    Not all countries refuse aid to starving people because the people are unfortunate enough to live under oppressive unfriendly governments. I really recommend reading the entire article. If we do go to war, it will help explain why. I know its Wikipedia, but I tend to trust articles that are backed up with good references. Read all of the references directly if it makes you feel better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

In 2006, Amnesty International reported that a national nutrition "survey" conducted by the North Korean government, the World Food Programme, and UNICEF found that 7 percent of children were severely malnourished; 37 percent were chronically malnourished; 23.4 percent were underweight; and one in three mothers was malnourished and anaemic as the result of the lingering effect of the famine. The inflation caused by some of the 2002 economic reforms, including the Songun or "Military-first" policy, was cited for creating the increased price of basic foods.

. . .

Under the Bush Administration, aid was drastically reduced year after year from 350,000 tons in 2001 to 40,000 in 2004. The Bush Administration took criticism for using "food as a weapon" during talks over the North's nuclear weapons program, but insisted the U.S. Agency for International Development [[USAID) criteria were the same for all countries and the situation in North Korea had "improved significantly since its collapse in the mid-1990s." Agricultural production had increased from about 2.7 million metric tons in 1997 to 4.2 million metric tons in 2004.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea I'm telling you, its a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    the situation in North Korea had "improved significantly since its collapse in the mid-1990s." Agricultural production had increased from about 2.7 million metric tons in 1997 to 4.2 million metric tons in 2004.
    Hmm...North Korea and the Bush administration...obviously trustworthy..

Of course I should believe that their agricultural production increased by almost a quarter-million metric tons each year 97-04...consider the sources...

Kim Jong Il is no fool! He just want the U.S. to simply BACK OFF from is communist personality cult nation. He warned Washington if one U.S. or allied ship, plane or tank or soldier enter his land, " NUCLEAR WAR" will start. The Americans just have to back away and believe his bluff. All political matters against N. Korea and U.S. must to dealt with diplomacy in order to continue a stable peace. If N. Korea attacks S. Korea than it is a declaration of WAR!

Get ready for World War III Get ready for the Atomic Age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast