Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Preservation Wayne's Downtown Historic Theatre Tours - Aug. 27

For those of you who can never get downtown during the 2nd Saturday of August every year... the date we usually have the Preservation Wayne Theatre Tours... this year due to a booking conflict with one of the venues.... the tours are going to be the last Saturday in August, the 27th.

Preservation Wayne, metro Detroit's largest and oldest historic preservation organization only does this, the largest of their tours [[4 1/2 hrs) once per year, and it is always a sellout. So make your reservations ASAP, if you would like to attend, especially the earlier tours. If you cannot decide soon enough, then the last tour [[11:30AM-4:00PM) is usually the least booked.

Tours start at 9:00AM, and one runs every 1/2 hour until 11:30 AM. A box lunch at the Detroit Opera House is included in the tour price. PW will provide bottles of water at the Fillmore [[State) Theatre, the registration and start location of the tour. Bring comfortable walking shoes... the tour will run rain or shine.

See one of the largest collection of historic movie palaces in the country, with 9 theatres on the tour!

There will be site guides at all the locations, and walking tour guides will take you around to each theatre... with discussions of downtown building history and development activity discussed along the way.

Registration is in the Francis Palms Building lobby [[office block portion of the Fillmore/State Theatre), on Woodward, 1 block south of the Fox Theatre. The building entrance is to the left of the theatre entrance [[which will be locked).

Tickets for the 4 1/2 hour tours are $45 [[includes lunch at DOH and water at the Fillmore). Reasonably priced parking is located at the Fox Theatre parking structure [[1 block away).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I did the theater tour a few years ago and it was excellent. I would recommend it to all, even if your interest is not particularly theaters.

The main changes since you've been on the tours cman710 have been at the Fillmore Theatre. Live Nations has been doing a nice job of continuing the restoration work of the former State Theatre that was started back in the 1990s by Building/Theatre owner Chuck Forbes. The 3 story Italian Renaissance barrel vaulted grand foyer [[inner lobby) has had its' restoration pretty much completed last year.

The manager for the Fillmore [[his first name is Ben) has utilized some creative ways to continue the restoration of the upper spaces of the grand foyer using a very tall cherry picker. Usually scaffolding has been used in theatre restoration, which generally meant theatre downtime.

But by using a cherry picker with a very long reach, some lofty spaces are being restored when time permits between performances. The Live Nations folks have also added artwork to the outer lobby and grand foyer... a large group of very colorful Fillmore East/West posters that are found on the [[former) blank walls between pilasters [[in the outer lobby) and columns [[in the grand foyer).

Live Nations have also added the "Fillmore chandeliers" to the theatre... a nice example in the rotunda lobby, and 6 along the sidewalls of the auditorium.

It will be interesting to see if any restoration work has been done in the last year to the yet unrestored auditorium upper sidewalls and the lofty coffered ceiling dome, 8 stories up.

Some people were upset with the name change from State to Fillmore, but it's a very small price to pay for the amout of TLC that the Live Nations folks have added to the venue in the last 3 years. Besides the name of the theatre has changes so many times as it is... it opened as the State in 1925, changed to the Palms-State in 1937, became the Palms in 1949, reverted back to the State in 1982, and became the Fillmore in 2007.

With the institution of a statewide smoking ban, it's a refreshing change to not have the venue reek to high heaven with the smell of cigarette smoke... [[LOL... now it's just the smell of stale spilled beer!) and they can now finally clean the auditorium upper walls and ceiling of 85 years of nicotine stains. When the neighboring Fox Theatre was restored in 1987-88, they removed 12 tons of nicotine off of the ornamental plasterwork...

What, no United Artists theatre? Let's get the decayed splendor of the Bat Cave on the docket.

Speaking about....

A few weeks ago there was a lot of storm damage. Has that been mended yet?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    What, no United Artists theatre? Let's get the decayed splendor of the Bat Cave on the docket.
    People won't sign falling stalagtite liability wavers.....

No seriously... all people who enter the United Artists complex currently MUST wear a hardhat. And the other issue is people wandering off... when we do our theatre tours... 20-25 people is usually the limit. Keeping that number of people in check is often difficult when walking around a venue, and there's always someone who is adventure prone. And in the U/A, it would be a more dangerous situation.

Former Preservation Wayne Executive Director Katherine Clarkson, a woman not known for being exactly on the thin side [[no offense Katherine) once nearly fell thru a ventilation grate on the floor in the United Artists Theatre complex about 18 years ago, when it collapsed beneath her. If it weren't for her ample proportions [[her words), she said there's no telling what would have happened to her.

Ditto for the closed off areas of the former Michigan Theatre. I've asked the building owner about giving some tours of these [[sometimes very dangerous) areas, but he said his insurance company nixed that idea in a heartbeat. While on a personal tour of those areas 2 years ago, I broke my glasses because I could not see hazzards in the dimly lit spaces.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-11-11 at 08:43 PM.

Just got word... the 10AM and 10:30AM tours are already sold out.....

The Detroit Fox's Bouncing Balcony....

The 1,800+ seat Detroit Fox balcony is one of the largest clear span indoor spaces in the world. It contains a 170 ton steel girder to do much of the "heavywork" to hold it up.

A few years ago during a Jonas Brothers concert, the balcony patrons were jumping up and down. It caused some "movement" of the structure.

Some time later Nick Jonas was back for another concert... and the balcony patrons re-tested the balcony strength...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9xbK...eature=related

Nick Jonas comments.... "it still works...", meaning the balcony is still OK...

Although I certainly never would like to be under the balcony or mezzanine overhang during one of his concerts... the fact is that none of Detroit architect' C. Howard Crane's 250+ theatre designs in the USA and England has ever had a balcony collapse.

However... one would probably wonder... how long before metal fatigue kicks in?

Still, Crane must have designed his theatres to allow for some bounce... although for a few terrifying moments, I bet a few main floor patrons nearly soiled themselves...

Gistok, I have seen and felt that balcony movement during concerts at the Grand Circus Theatre [[years ago), and other theatres. Many people I know have talked about seeing and feeling the movement of the balconies. It also happens at the Fox, and some newer stadiums, arenas, etc. Of course it's related to large numbers of people standing and dancing at their seats during lively bands or songs. Yes, it's scary, but I have heard that it isn't dangerous. Still it creeps me out. To me it seems like it would damage plaster, etc. But I'm not an architect or engingeer, hopefully some of those types can post about the balcony 'give'.

The Theater tour sounds awesome, I have an email out to some friends to see if a group of 4-ish would care to attend. Wow, i'd love that.

Kryptonite, we'd love to have you and your friends there....

I'll be the on-site guide at the Fillmore/State... and am sort of the emcee who welcomes eveyone to the tours, and gives a brief history of movie palaces [[and their 3 major types) in general, and the Fillmore/State in particular. I also go into how movie palaces were among the first buildings in the world to have air conditioning [[before that most movie palaces closed during the hot summer months, or had a breezy "garden theatre" on the roof).

This year John Lauter will be our organist on the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer organ at the Fox... a highlight of the tours. John has played the Barton Organ at the Redford Theatre, and the Fisher Organ at the Senate Theatre.

Only 4 theatres in the world are known to have had an independent lobby organ... the Moller 3/21 Organ on the mezzanine level of the Fox's 6 story Grand Lobby... is the only one still in its' original location.

Listen to the first 2 minutes of this organ piece on the Fox's mighty Wurlitzer... this really must have really blown the cobwebs out of the organ pipes!! This little recital was done from the "Slave Console" up high in the side of the balcony. A slave console [[very few theatres had the luxury of one) is a secondary keyboard console that can be played when the stage console is unavailable due to an orchestra being in the pit or some other stage limitations preventing the main console's use....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0rrR1n9l9I

And one of the highlights of the tour of the Fox is that the visitors get to see "the autograph wall"... where individual performers and/or groups have signed their personal autographs and messages. This wall is now so vast, that it has extended up the 8 stories of the dressing room staircase, and down 2 stories to the basement. The most important and valuable signatures have been protected with plexiglass. One could spend hours here studying the vast array of signatures from Frank Sinatra to Michael Jackson to the Rolling Stones to every other group imaginable who have graced the stage of the Fox.

Tickets are selling fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Speaking about....

A few weeks ago there was a lot of storm damage. Has that been mended yet?
    Whitehouse, that storm damage was to the 18 story David Whitney Building... rooftop panels that hid the rooftop mechanical area, and did not affect any of the current/former movie palaces. Not sure if it's been fixed....

One of the theatres on the tour is the almost forgotten Oriental [[later Downtown RKO) Theatre. It was located on W. Adams 2nd building west of Park Ave. The auditorium [[to the left of the existing building)was demolished in the 1950s [[for a parking lot!), and all the survives are fragments of the Grand Lobby housed inside the office building [[which I believe is residential today).

The lobby chandeliers of this former 1927 built 2,950 seat movie palace are today found in the lobby of the Redford Theatre. Surprisingly, there are no good images of the former auditorium [[an Oriental Atmospheric) known to exist.

Here is an early [[1920s) view of the Rotunda Lobby of the Fillmore/State Theatre. It was the only one of the downtown palaces that had a "horseshoe" grand staircase [[common in very large theatres). When it opened in 1925 as the State Theatre, it had 2,967 seats. Due to cabaret style terranced seating, the main floor of the theatre has room for a dancefloor, and total seating was reduced to 2,200 seats, although all 1,500 main floor seats are believed to be in storage.

The Rotunda Lobby was the space between the outer lobby and the inner grand foyer that led to the auditorium. Because land along Woodward was very expensive, most of the buildings Woodward frontage was taken up by stores, with 3 narrow lobby spaces to pass thru on your way to the auditorium in back of the block.

The Rotunda lobby had a grand piano. Most mid-to-large size theatres had lobby pianos to keep the patrons mind off the fact that they were waiting for the next show. The doors beyond were the "holdout doors". When the previous audience left the theatre, they left by side exits onto Elizabeth and Columbia Ave. Then the next set of patrons could entre the theatre via the 3 story grand foyer, beyond the rotunda lobby doors.

The curtains surrounding the mirrors in the upper rotunda space no longer survive. Also note the 2 large palms. This corresponded with the building that the theatre is housed in... the "Francis Palms Building". Of course any palms in this location would have a short lifespan, since there is no natural light in the rotunda lobby or the grand foyer.

This image is from the Theatre Historiical Society, but it may be a Manning Brothers image.

Just a final reminder.... Saturday August 27 is the Historic Downtown Theatre Tours... many tour times are already sold out... probably the best time is the 11:30 [[final) tour. That one is usually the last one to fill up.

We're going to have organist John Lauter this year playing the Detroit Fox's mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer Organ [[one of the 6 largest theatre organs in the world). In the past John has played the unique Fisher [[Wurlitzer) Organ at the Senate Theatre, and has also played the Barton Organ at the Redford Theatre.

Several of the PW guides and admin have written books in the Arcadia Series. Michael Hauser, a PW and Theatre Historical Society member is or has been on the boards of both. He co-authored the Arcadia Book on Downtown Movie Theatres and on Hudson's. Michael can be spotted at the Detroit Opera House during the lunch period of the 4 1/2 hour tour. He knows a LOT about Detroit area theatres.

Rebecca Binno Savage, former president of DAADS [[Detroit Area Art Deco Society).... champion for the Broadhead Naval Armory, and author on an Arcadia book about Art Deco in and around Detroit. Rebecca is one of our walking tour guides, and is a wealth of knowledge about things around the city.

OK one last teaser about the theatre tours.......

The Capitol [[1922-29), Paramount [[1929-34), Broadway Capitol [[1934-61), Grand Circus [[1961-circa 1990), and Detroit Opera House [[circa early 1990s-present) multi named theatre was unique in one area. Due to its' unusual pie shaped site, the Detroit Opera House is the only theatre in the district to have 2 entrances.... a [[former streetcar) grand entrance on Broadway.... and a low key "carriage trade" [[automobile) entrance on Madison.

Here's part of the 2 story Ford Lobby [[former Broadway Lobby) of the theatre [[first pc).... it opens onto a grander 3 story grand foyer [[second pic) of which we only see 1/2.

These images are owned by Michigan Opera Theatre...

Well the tours were a complete sellout, and everyone went home afterwards... exhausted!

Saw something different at the Fillmore [[State) today... a rather lavish wedding reception setup [[for tonight) with beautifully tables and silver chairs. It was a rather stunning display in the auditorium with the bridal table in front of the dance floor on the orchestra pit raised higher than the dance floor, and the attendees tables set up on the different terrace levels of the auditorium.

Talking to the asst. manager of Live Nations [[the leasee of the Fillmore), and they have been targetting many more business and nuptual soirees... to expand from just a rock and dance venue.

The Fox was the show stopper as always... and John Lauter played the mighty Wurlitzer organ magnificently, as well as answer many questions about the Fox and metro Detroit organ scene.

Saw everyone at the Opera House for lunch afterwards... and all around folks enjoyed the tour...

Met a few Forumers [[that actually introduced themselves!).... Warrenite84... great to get to meet you!!

Now on to next year.....

I was there -- signed up to volunteer at the last minute, worked the refreshments w/ Roq [[who is a doll!), shepherded the 11:30, and had a total blast.

The next big event is the...
    Bootlegging Tour on the River
    Diamond Jack Riverboat

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    Tours depart from Stroh's River Place Dock
    http://www.preservationwayne.org/tours.php

I attended the May bootlegging tour with a friend and had a wonderful time. This time, Cliff Bell's will be hosting a 1920s themed afterglow. Hope to see some of you there!

Michael Hauser was the "walking tour guide" for the 11:30. A total gem and very knowledgeable.

I was there -- signed up to volunteer at the last minute, worked the refreshments w/ Roq [[who is a doll!), shepherded the 11:30, and had a total blast.

Roq did you get to take the tour too?

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Roq did you get to take the tour too?
    Hi Pam, yes I did. I highly recommend it that everyone interested in Detroit theaters and Detroit history in general take this tour. Actually being there and seeing the places while learning about them really makes the learning fun. A big thanks to LodgeDodger for allowing me the opportunity to help and a hug for English who is a sweetheart.

Lovely to see you too! Other than REL, LodgeDodger, you and I, I didn't recognize any other forumers. Gistok and Warrenite84, apologies for missing you, and I'll see you next time.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Lovely to see you too! Other than REL, LodgeDodger, you and I, I didn't recognize any other forumers. Gistok and Warrenite84, apologies for missing you, and I'll see you next time.
    English, I know we did cross paths... I was the onsite guide at the Fillmore... and we crossed paths up in the balcony at the Fox... but we didn't know it was each other.... I kept thinking why is this knowledgeable young lady in the tour... when she could have been a guide....

This was the first year that they had a shortage of walking guides... 2 of our 6 regular walking guides [[Margo and Joan) couldn't make it this year.... so Michael Hauser had to give a tour... English, you were fortunate indeed to be shepherding with him, since Michael knows more about theatres than just about anyone!

This was my 12th year as the State/Fillmore guide... and I like that venue because I'm the first PW person done with their work. One funny thing is that I have such a booming voice that in the 12 years at the State/Fillmore... no one has EVER asked me to speak a little louder.... LOL...

Since they reversed the order of the venues this year [[and made the Fox 2nd on the list)... I followed along with the last [[11:30) tour group just to see what's up at the Fox, and also talk to the organist John Lauter, who is a great source of info about theatres and theatre organs.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-28-11 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Hi Pam, yes I did. I highly recommend it that everyone interested in Detroit theaters and Detroit history in general take this tour. Actually being there and seeing the places while learning about them really makes the learning fun. A big thanks to LodgeDodger for allowing me the opportunity to help and a hug for English who is a sweetheart.
    I went on it about 5 years ago. I see they have added to it so I might need to take it again sometime. Glad you all had fun.

OH! No wonder -- sorry to say it publicly and not in a PM, but it must be said. You, Gistok, are brilliant. I was in awe of your knowledge [[so was my friend), am now in love with the State/Fillmore , and looking for a time to return there for an event. So awesome to see it dressed up for a wedding reception. It would make a splendid dinner theatre venue, too...

I thoroughly enjoyed the tour. This was my first year attending [[and second as a PW volunteer), but won't be the last. I brought a friend along this time and hope to bring lots more in 2012. All of the guides did an amazing job. Hope to help publicize the event more in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This was my 12th year as the State/Fillmore guide... and I like that venue because I'm the first PW person done with their work. One funny thing is that I have such a booming voice that in the 12 years at the State/Fillmore... no one has EVER asked me to speak a little louder.... LOL...,

Since they reversed the order of the venues this year [[and made the Fox 2nd on the list)... I followed along with the last [[11:30) tour group just to see what's up at the Fox, and also talk to the organist John Lauter, who is a great source of info about theatres and theatre organs.
    Gistok, it was nice meeting you again and props for a great job on the tour and telling us the history of these wonderful venues. Is this particular tour held at around this same time every year? I want to let some friends / relatives know to save the date for next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast