Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Connecting Neighborhoods and Downtown separated by freeways.

This concept could fit well over I-75 separating Downtown and Midtown, also I-375 between Gratiot to Larned & Eastern Market/Gratiot exit.

It'd be cool if they could cover the freeways completely and Detroit would have urban islands surrounded by parks. Actually, isn't something like this over parts of 696 in Southfield? Wonder why they never thought to do it on more parts of the freeway.

cuz it makes too much sense. Here's some more examples posted by someone on another thread. I saved the link so I could include the idea in a project for school.

http://sites.google.com/site/freeway...-columbus-ohio

Wow, I can see that working..lol I guess it make "too" much sense. We can create something new in this region. I'm sure money will be a issue, where will it come from etc. I believe it will quite unique..

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Wow, I can see that working..lol I guess it make "too" much sense. We can create something new in this region. I'm sure money will be a issue, where will it come from etc. I believe it will quite unique..
    Those caps are expensive as hell--especially if you construct one akin to the bridge in Columbus's Short North, where storefronts are located on either side.

On top of that, you'd have to rely on MDOT to actually maintain the structural elements. Which ain't gonna happen, because they're busy upgrading every four-lane road in the boonies to Interstate Highway Standards.

Caps over freeways?
    I've got a main road close to me that I'll drive a half mile out of my way to avoid.
    You feel like you're driving over a railroad track every 15 feet. My alternate route isn't even all that smooth either.

File this one under things we'd like to do if we figured out to grow money trees.

I think instead of capping freeways, we might figure out ways to turn them into express subways, fill in around them, and decommission some interstate lane-miles within the city. It would have been nice if the interstates had gone around the city instead of through it in the first place.

Dr. Emil Guest

Capping the highways would create a barely audible hum that would drive some people crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Emil View Post
    Capping the highways would create a barely audible hum that would drive some people crazy.
    LOL... thanks Dr. Emil.... now wiping the sprayed coffee off my keyboard....

Those overpasses over I-696 were indeed very expensive.... and they are a maintenance nightmare... there's always water dripping in somewhere... and in the winter, I've seen icicles the size of stalagtites.... sort of like having the Sword of Damicles hanging over you while you drive...

Here is a cool application in Columbus. Check it out on streetview too
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columb...src=6&t=h&z=18

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Here is a cool application in Columbus. Check it out on streetview too
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=columb...src=6&t=h&z=18
    That's VERY cool.

Even though it's much smaller than the I-696 caps it does A LOT for the neighborhood. Making it one continuous street with no freeway separation.

Ok, well it could fit perfect for the Downtown communities surrounding by freeways. So that "humming" sound will fit in with the noise of a building generator's and traffic. Like the lodge freeway under COBO..actually I think it will could work with just landscaping, park like. A "Gateway plaza" sort of..?