Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sweetest Heart of Mary Pierogi Festival.

http://www.sweetestheart.org/2011/06...-festival.html

August 13th and 14th.
    Saturday: Noon-9pm
    Sunday: Noon-8pm

Come and have a great time and help support one of Detroit's most beautiful churches.

Yay, thanks for the reminder!

I have some from Hearts sitting in my freezer right now.

Is it rain or shine?

No doubt. They setup big tents with lots of room underneath.

In the past it has always been rain/shine. I have been there for a couple of big storms. Sometimes tents have been blown down - I guess Mother Nature is a Protestant?

Bumping for anyone looking for something to do this weekend.

The weather doesn't look the best, but as mentioned there are big tents and the church is open.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shmchurch/ChurchTour#

Thanks so much! I just posted this on FB and will plan to be there this weekend!

Check out the inside of the church if you are going, It's an incredible place.

Just got back... food is great, music was good, beer was flowing... Paws was there in a Polish dance costume...

This year's festival appears to have been a success. Thanks to all who participated.

Fortunately my daughter is now old enough that she could stand in the beer line for me. Great festival.

I love the Pierogi Festival!

We were there , I'm still full....

http://detroitdvotion.com/

Huge success, the Pierogi Fest made a profit of $88,000.

Super news! I remember the first perogi festival. The crowd was not large and the church needed a lot of work. What a great turn of events over the years. The church and property look great. I drove by there Saturday to do some work at St. Albertus with a friend and mentioned that the Sweetest Heart complex has improved so much over the years. The place is a true gem.

When we moved to Minnesota in 1994, I looked in the stores for pierogi. "You want WHAT??" "Never heard of it." was the response I got. Finally got a store manager to look in his computer printout for items they could order and lo and behold...there they were. Now most groceries around here carry them, and I even found a restaurant that serves them. Now to just find some cannoli. Hubby loves them and can't find an Italian restaurant here that serves them.

I can't think about cannolis without thinking of this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzh0...eature=related

With all due respect to paczkis I'm not sure there's a better dessert than a cannoli.
    I was just at a bakery yesterday and picked some up.
    Last edited by rjk; August-31-11 at 04:44 AM.

Kryptonite and I have been going there for years. The church is beautiful. One of the best in Detroit.

But of course we avoided the beer tents. Kind of. Well, not really. Okay, they almost named a beer tent after us....