Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Please remember Eleanor Josaitis in your prayers

Eleanor Josaitis,cofounder of Focus:Hope is in Angela Hospice of Livonia.
    I don't know how to link the article from the Freep but wanted to post this for those who may have not heard the sad news.Eleanor has given so much of herself to us.She's fought tirelessly to help improve the lives of so many. She's been an angel among us for years!
    We love and we thank you Eleanor Josaitis!

Oh thank you Rjk for linking the story!

I spoke to her once. She was great. What inspired her to a life of service for all people? It just so happens she was on the Belle Isle Bridge when the race riot of 1943 broke out.

Eleanor is an absolute treasure - she's a wonderful person that is the definition of class. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to have had a few conversations with her over the last three years [[before she got really ill). This is very sad, but Eleanor has lived a phenominal life. If I can be 10% of what she was my life will have been great.

She is an amazing person and certainly has made the world a better place.

I couldn't agree with you all more.Mrs.Josaitis is&should be an example/inspiration to us all.
    DetroitNerd,thanks for the insight.I've often wondered what is was that made Sister Eleanor[[as I always called her)give so much of herself in an effort to make our world just a bit brighter.I never knew the reason but have always been in awe&so very appreciative of her for her sevice.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Eleanor, however, my grandson took a computer class at Focus Hope a few years ago, and he is currently a second year engineering student and doing a summer internship with the CIA. Had it not been for Focus Hope he probably would have been another statistic. My prayers go out to Eleanor and her family.

That's a really nice statement, MTM, about Focus Hope being a helpful guide to your grandson and to all the others. God bless you, Ms. Josaitis.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    That's a really nice statement, MTM, about Focus Hope being a helpful guide to your grandson and to all the others. God bless you, Ms. Josaitis.

Stromberg2
    Thank You!!

I had the opportunity to do some work with Fr. Cunningham and Ms. Josaitis about 23 or 24 years ago, and in the middle of a neighborhood where very little positive was going on - Linwood/Oakman/Fenkell - it was amazing even then, in the fairly early days of Focus:Hope, to see what they were accomplishing.

Like Fr. Cunningham, Ms. Josiaitis' body will soon fail her and her body will be gone, but her positive legacy will live on and continue to inspire. Godspeed, ma'am.

Excellent human being and a reminder that you don't have to self-promote to do good.

Eleanor passed away this morning.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011080...text|FRONTPAGE

She could be prickly but I'm really appreciative of the opportunity her program presented me.

I'm almost done with a journey that would have been enormously difficult if not impossible with Focus Hope.

Heard some of the hate mail she received during my orientation. Stuff that just makes you want to give this whole state up. She said she kept it to remind her of what she had to fight against.

Default Eleanor Josaitis has died.

Rest in peace...

...and thank you for all your efforts. I'm sure Father Cunningham is waiting at the pearly gates to welcome you!

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    ...and thank you for all your efforts. I'm sure Father Cunningham is waiting at the pearly gates to welcome you!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a sad day in Detroit.

Just read the story. What a great woman.

But There's already a topic about her passing.

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    What a beautiful sentiment&so very true I think.

Whitehouse I don't see a topic on dear Eleanor's passing.All I see is the thread I started asking people to keep her in thoughts&prayers when I'd first heard she was in hospice.

I'm glad that Eleanor Josaitis was making a difference and break racial barriers to hepl the needy get back on their feet to society by starting Focus Hope along with Father Cunningham. She is now with the Lord and Detroit and the world will miss her.

Eleanor Josaitis The Street Prophets salute you.

I drove up Woodward following my PW tour yesterday. It was about 1:30 as I drove by Blessed Sacrament Cathedral where Eleanor's funeral service was taking place. It was jam packed with cars everywhere...for a good two blocks solid in all directions...every available space on the street as well as all the parking lots. Amazing! And a wonderful tribute to one of the most giving, caring individuals in Detroit's history!!! God bless her!

God Bless a wonderful woman of the people. Wish we had world leaders like you.