Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Destruction of Tiger Stadium and Role of Mayor Kilpatrick

The preservationist community should weigh in on this essay in American Spectator about a moment in Detroit history

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/0...ame-kilpatrick#

That writer certainly came up with a new "crime" to hang on Kwame. But isn't the "last bastion of white, middle-class Detroit" Joe Louis Arena and the Red Wings? And did German Jews really live in Corktown? And were there really that many Irish who fled to the suburbs? [[Detroit's Irish community peaked as a percentage of the population in 1850.) And were the two Briggs and Fetzer really such "great owners?" [[Most observers saw them as ultra-conservative losers who made the Tigers one of the last teams to integrate, play night games and involve themselves in the community in any meaningful way.)

This sounds like the rant of a young, educated white guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Oh great another re-hash of the old "why did we tear down tiger stadium?" story

this "author" isn't right winger by any chance?

Little Caesars Pizza founder Mike Ilitch [[a laissez-faire baseball owner merely interested in consolidating his local sports empire, which includes the Detroit Red Wings) in 1992, the organization took a left turn. Like a true Democrat [[Ilitch is a major Chuck Schumer and Harry Reid contributor) Ilitch increased spending and drove his organization into debt.

Article describes Tom Monaghan as "beloved owner". Yeah, the guy who gutted the farm system and fired Ernie Harwell. This article is more bullshit than anything I've read in a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by tiorted View Post
    this "author" isn't right winger by any chance?
    The publication is a "right winger:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Spectator

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Article describes Tom Monaghan as "beloved owner". Yeah, the guy who gutted the farm system and fired Ernie Harwell. This article is more bullshit than anything I've read in a long, long time.
    Hey don't make fun of the good Catholic boy and architecture buff who bought the catholic parish behind the White Castle at Vernor and Rosa Parks only to tear it down for a parking lot!

Whenever I visit websites I'm not familiar with, I look for clues as to their "agenda".

Perhaps the ad on the left side of the page "Exceptional Conservative Gear - The Largest Selection of Liberal Baiting Merchandise on the Net!"... should have given some clues as to the intended audience of this site.... and explains the use of these 2 words together.... "beloved Monahan"...

Nothing worth commenting on here...

I'm probably more conservative and Republican-ish than most of you folks on DetroitYes, and all I can say, that sure is one lying, sad piece of "journalism". If you are going to write like that, why write at all?