Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Scrappers

Default Scrappers

Yesterday out my front window I watched as 3 men started tearing out a front yard cyclone fench from an already derelect building across the street. I called a neighbor to confirm I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. She said she would call 911. She called me back to say it was neighbors she recognized but called 911 anyways.

They stripped the fench, then were joined by a 4th man and went into the home to tear out more stuff. In all, it took them an hour. Police never showed. Had attended a neighborhood meeting just Sat. where police encouraged residents to report crime. Hummm

I know who the scrappers are and where they took the stuff which was just down the street.

Trying to weigh in on my feelings. On one hand I have to look at an even more derelect home now. On the other, this stuff wasn't sold but will be used to enhance an existing stable neighborhood home.

Thoughts people?

S

I have extreme disdain for your neighbors behavior and half-jokingly suggest capital punishment. Of course, this means that I am half not-joking.

P.S. Follow up with a visit to a police station...

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post

Trying to weigh in on my feelings. On one hand I have to look at an even more derelect home now. On the other, this stuff wasn't sold but will be used to enhance an existing stable neighborhood home.

Thoughts people?

S
    Hmmm......so if I live on your block and general consensus says my house looks nicer than yours, it would be OK for me to come dig up your flowers and replant them in my beds?

Nope. It's stealing. And it's further deteriorated another home on your block.

whazza fench?

I can't believe that you think that the scrappers will use their takings to upgrade their own home. aluminum fence is worth a lot of money. In SW Detroit most of the fencing around Clark Park's ball field was removed earlier this year - to be sold.

The neighbors should probably get together and secure that house.

Stealing is wrong.

Improving your house is a nice thing to do, but not at the cost of another house.

When I improve my property, I buy the materials, I don't steal them.

F- to the Detroit police again.

Two issues as I see it....well maybe three.....the neighbors are idiots and should be turned in, the scrap yards should know by now that 505 the scrap coming in is not legally gotten and finally....What police....for crying out loud didn't they even steal parts if not the whole car from the police?
    The police in Detroit are AOL.....

Scrapping is way down on the list of things to be responded to - usually the scrapers can't be held or tried. Also, is Sumas willing to identify them? I doubt it. That's a big problem when the scrappers are actually living on your street. There is such a thing as retribution.

No, the way to do it secure the house and post it. I would also do a little research on the scrappers - for instance, are they renters and likely to move when the next winter heat bill comes? That's the best thing to be hoped for. But maybe they are stealing utilities, too. Maybe that can be determined by looking at the hosue carefully. Then they can be turned in, etc.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Yesterday out my front window I watched as 3 men started tearing out a front yard cyclone fench from an already derelect building across the street. I called a neighbor to confirm I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. She said she would call 911. She called me back to say it was neighbors she recognized but called 911 anyways.

They stripped the fench, then were joined by a 4th man and went into the home to tear out more stuff. In all, it took them an hour. Police never showed. Had attended a neighborhood meeting just Sat. where police encouraged residents to report crime. Hummm

I know who the scrappers are and where they took the stuff which was just down the street.

Thoughts people?

S
    Is it OK if I come over and take your fence too? Seeing as you don't seem to have a problem with that, I'm really puzzled as to the direction your moral compass is pointing. I guess it's ok to turn a blind eye to scrappers that you know. As long as somebody that you know profits from it, it's OK?

While I'm at it, I can also use some nice bricks for a fireplace I am building. I'm sure you won't miss them either.