Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Bridge Cards Taken Away from about 30,000 College Students....

Bridge Cards Taken Away from about 30,000 College Students in Michigan...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...#disqus_thread

It was inevitable... thanks for the link, Zacha.

Never in a million years would I have suspected that college students would be on food stamps. I just assumed that between scholarships, work study, and part-time jobs, and student loans, the student could make ends meet. I must admit that this is an eye opener that leaves me puzzled. Should students use food stamps when I and others associate food stamps with families with children? Do many students on food stamps have children? I saw on the news this morning a student who says she gets about two hundred dollars a month on her EBT card. The report didn't say if she had children. I am still not sure what to think about this issue yet. I mean if the state wants to take Bridge Cards away from college students, I am assuming that these are students without children and are considered able-bodied, right?

In the article, they say that Kwame was on food stamps in college! I think if the kids live in the dorms, a food package is included [[or must be purchased). I think they are focusing on those students who are living in dorms and with their parents.

I know a young girl who is, in all practicality, homeless [[she's staying with a friend but it's temporary) who is starting school in Sept. She has a Bridge Card and I hope they don't take it away from her. She's really just trying to better herself and get on her feet [[she's 20). Her parents are slime and don't help her at all. She's not a bad kid, not into drugs, nothing weird. She just got dealt a horrible hand in the parent department. She doesn't have any kids and isn't planning on it. She can't find a job [[and she's applied everywhere). She does volunteer work at various homeless shelters and food banks in order to give back. Kids like her NEED a bridge card [[she doesn't get much in the way of loans or anything because of her age and her parents' ability to help her). She's been floating from place to place since she graduated high school. She couldn't go to school then because her parents refused to help her with the FAFSA info she needed [[and they made too much money). The rules have changed a bit and she qualifies for a Pell Grant this year because of her homeless status [[but not enough to pay her room and board in a dorm). I really hope they don't take the cards away from kids like this girl! Kids who are set with money, have well to do parents who help them, people like Kwame, kids who live in the dorms--they should not be getting a handout.

lilpup Guest

Why shouldn't students who are eligible get food stamps? There are kids paying their own way through school and dorms can easily be just as expensive as other housing.

I think they are focusing on the people who are duping the system [[like Kwame was, since the article used him as an example). I am ALL FOR those who NEED food stamps receiving them. I don't think you can purchase meals in a dorm with a bridge card [[I may be wrong). I believe board must be paid with the dorm fees [[like a package deal). If a kid needs help, I say help them! It's the people who really don't need the help that I question.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Why shouldn't students who are eligible get food stamps? There are kids paying their own way through school and dorms can easily be just as expensive as other housing.

lilpup Guest

At the bigger schools most students don't even live in dorms beyond their freshman year.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I think they are focusing on the people who are duping the system [[like Kwame was, since the article used him as an example). I am ALL FOR those who NEED food stamps receiving them. I don't think you can purchase meals in a dorm with a bridge card [[I may be wrong). I believe board must be paid with the dorm fees [[like a package deal). If a kid needs help, I say help them! It's the people who really don't need the help that I question.
    I didn't know this happened so frequently. One can see where a kid lives away from his parents, but is supported by parents, perhaps living in a dorm, and is still able to figure a way into a bridge card. Seems like, when I was in school, if you needed more money, as a student - even a working one - you applied for more low-interest/deferred loans, which was the point of those loans. Most students are "poor", going to school, trying to work, living off of student loans. An extra $200 a month for groceries [[if they aren't selling back for $100 cash) is obviously tempting. But, in most cases, that wasn't what they were designed for.

Now, as it relates to your examples, I would agree. But how many of the 30,000 getting them are supposed to be. I'm also not sure about the relative ease with which the low interest/deferred loans could be had in the mid-90s boom period when I was in school versus today. Obviously, it didn't deter Kwame, so it sounds like a long-known "loophole."

My niece was on them for a while - she was a full time student, working 2 retails jobs, and couldn't make ends meet no matter how hard her frugal little ass tried - please demonize her now.

lilpup Guest

It's only a loophole if the students are still declared as dependents on their parents' tax returns. If they file as independents then they should only have to meet the same criteria as any other young adults.

Dorms are often more expensive than off-campus housing and meal plans are often a huge rip off. Why shouldn't college kids be able to get food stamps? Do people truly understand the cost of college?

The next financial bubble to burst is student loans. Kids are told to go to college their entire lives, they are promised a bright future if they work hard and get a degree. They get accepted to a university and the "Academic Advisers" sign them up for tens of thousands of non-dischargdable loans. The kid has no idea he is selling his soul. The school soaks up all that money over the next 4 years and the lenders lock up a massive credit against someone who has no financial savvy. The situation with grad students is even worse, where many people have 200k in debt by the time they finish their doctorate. Some never get out from under the loans they signed when they were 18 and 19 years old. It's almost criminal.

The people I knew on EBT in college were kids that needed the money to get by. It is not easy to "work your way through school." I laugh at people who suggest that. It is nearly impossible to earn enough money at a part-time, minimum wage job to pay for college and graduate in 4 years with a bachelors degree. In fact, I don't know a single person who has ever done it. Almost everyone needs loans or financial assistance.

With the cost of college going up, expect more students to lean on government assistance to get through the process. I can't believe the higher education system in America has turned into a ponzi scheme for bankers and school administrators. I don't know how they sleep at night.

It's too bad for the 30k college kids losing food stamps. Maybe they'll drop out if their parents won't help them make up the difference. Honestly, quitting school is the responsible thing to do in the face of taking out more loans to pay for food. This stupid, greedy country of ours needs to figure out what the fuck its priorities are. Do we want people to be educated, or do we want everyone who tries to be to be financially crippled for life?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    My niece was on them for a while - she was a full time student, working 2 retails jobs, and couldn't make ends meet no matter how hard her frugal little ass tried - please demonize her now.
    Like the way you are trying to canonize her?

Anyway, read the article, she likely wouldn't apply, and is not in the same category as Kwame -

"Single moms and students who are working 20 hours a week may still be able to keep their benefits."

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    It's only a loophole if the students are still declared as dependents on their parents' tax returns. If they file as independents then they should only have to meet the same criteria as any other young adults.
    loophole is probably the wrong word, but according to several of these articles, Michigan has 10 times the number of college students on food assistance as other states. They also note that federal welfare programs generally preclude college students. So, is a student ineligible for certain government-subsidized loans or other tuition, COL assistance if they are already receiving assistance from the state? Do they need to disclose this?

detroitjim Guest

One of the local newscasts interviewed some of those that were cut off from the dole.

I'd have been a bit more sympathetic, if they hadn't chosen overweight people to air their complaints.

She must choose between paying her utility bill and buying food
    The young woman had to have been 200+ lbs.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Dorms are often more expensive than off-campus housing and meal plans are often a huge rip off. Why shouldn't college kids be able to get food stamps? Do people truly understand the cost of college?

The next financial bubble to burst is student loans. Kids are told to go to college their entire lives, they are promised a bright future if they work hard and get a degree. They get accepted to a university and the "Academic Advisers" sign them up for tens of thousands of non-dischargdable loans. The kid has no idea he is selling his soul. The school soaks up all that money over the next 4 years and the lenders lock up a massive credit against someone who has no financial savvy. The situation with grad students is even worse, where many people have 200k in debt by the time they finish their doctorate. Some never get out from under the loans they signed when they were 18 and 19 years old. It's almost criminal.

The people I knew on EBT in college were kids that needed the money to get by. It is not easy to "work your way through school." I laugh at people who suggest that. It is nearly impossible to earn enough money at a part-time, minimum wage job to pay for college and graduate in 4 years with a bachelors degree. In fact, I don't know a single person who has ever done it. Almost everyone needs loans or financial assistance.

With the cost of college going up, expect more students to lean on government assistance to get through the process. I can't believe the higher education system in America has turned into a ponzi scheme for bankers and school administrators. I don't know how they sleep at night.

It's too bad for the 30k college kids losing food stamps. Maybe they'll drop out if their parents won't help them make up the difference. Honestly, quitting school is the responsible thing to do in the face of taking out more loans to pay for food. This stupid, greedy country of ours needs to figure out what the fuck its priorities are. Do we want people to be educated, or do we want everyone who tries to be to be financially crippled for life?
    I'm paying 3% interest on my student loans, which were deferred through grad school and for some time thereafter.

Let's allow those any student to stay on food stamps rather than borrow more money to pay for living expenses. In exchange, they will have to pay market rates for private loans to go to school. Without much or any collateral, how much do you think the interest rates on those loans will be, especially today? How much more than $200 a month will that come out to, and for how many years?

And, to be clear, even with the overhaul single mothers are eligible and so are many students who work 20 or more hours a week. So, the poor single mother and working five job stories don't apply.

When I was in college I lived in family housing at U-M and many financial aid students espcially those with chldren were receiving Section 8 for their campus apartments, food stamps, and Medicade.

I know it's fun and a non stop good time to scream and shout about anybody getting any kind of assistance, but chest thumping "I did it why can't you" is just mean and unintelligent. It is the kind of discussion we have after someone turns on Fox News, I am never surprised but I'm sorry I got dragged in. Carry on.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    When I was in college I lived in family housing at U-M and many financial aid students espcially those with chldren were receiving Section 8 for their campus apartments, food stamps, and Medicade.
    ...and, as stated, these would not appear to be among the student group the state is cutting food assistance to.

I know it's fun and a non stop good time to scream and shout about anybody getting any kind of assistance, but chest thumping "I did it why can't you" is just mean and unintelligent. It is the kind of discussion we have after someone turns on Fox News, I am never surprised but I'm sorry I got dragged in. Carry on.

And the poor, poor pitiful me, woe-is-me stuff gets old too. Those 'chest thumping' stories prove that it can be done with some drive and dedication as opposed to expecting somebody else to do it for you.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 49 and go to college you are ineligible for food stamps unless you are working at least 20 hour per week or disabled. No exceptions. Just the way it is. It annoys us caseworkers that the homeless guy doing absolutely nothing with his life but drink it away gets to have $200

IMO no college student without dependent children should be eligible for a Bridge card. Lack of employment is a sacrifice that many people make in order to attain a degree. Honestly, I see it as grossly unfair to those students who are struggling while employed and attending college at the same time. No one in America should go hungry, but students are facing a self induced hardship. They made the choice to forgo employment in order to further their education, and free food assistance should be reserved for those without a choice.

That being said, I would have no issues with a government supported program that offers food assistance loans for students who may need them.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; August-09-11 at 08:17 AM.

bartock Guest

...and I'll stop too because you obviously aren't understanding the point. There is no "I did it why can't you" going on.

I...would....rather....be....paying....a....subsid ized....loan....at....3 percent interest....today.....rather.....than.....10% or more....on....a....private.....loan.

the....people.....you.....are....referring....to.. ...don't....appear.....to....be.....in....danger.. ...of....losing.....their....bridge cards.

middle.....class....students.....and....others.... .such....as....I....once.....was.....will...not... .be....able....to....take.....advantage.

Maybe we need to have some type of program where those bridge cards, welfare etc are given out in the form of loans. Once you start making money, it is something you have to pay back.

Otherwise, the state doesn't have the money to pay for college kids to eat. It is not Michigan's responsibility to feed them.

It is clear that many of you don't understand how truly difficult it is to find work [[even part-time) when you are a full-time college student with little availability.

I am fortunate to be working 20 hours a week FOR NOW, but when the semester is over and I lose my work-study job and can't work in the Fall because WSU didn't award crap in the way of work-study for next year, I'll probably lose my benefits as well.

And believe me, I have been applying for jobs like crazy. Every day I check job boards, go on Craigslist and submit on-line applications until it drives me crazy. I still have not received a single phone call and when I call places to inquire about whether or not they are hiring they give me the cold shoulder.

No one wants to hire me as a full-time worker because it would be difficult to work around my schedule. Even though I signed up for on-line classes next semester, employers see that I am a full-time student and lose interest. No one wants to hire me as a part-time worker because I have a lot of experience and I am generally overqualified for those part-time positions.

So, what do I do when this semester ends and I lose my work-study job? I only make minimum wage and it is a struggle to pay my rent and expenses every month. I cut costs by riding public transportation and opting out of the costs of car ownership, but I still struggle to make ends meet. Even the $200 a month that I receive from my Bridge card is barely enough to pay for food. That is $50 dollars a week for someone that has allergies to wheat, etc. and has to eat special foods. I can't buy cheap crap like ramen, bread, etc. because it will make me ill.

I literally won't eat if they take away my card and I am pretty scared about it. When I first started school and didn't have a bridge card I got so skinny that people thought that I was anorexic.

Should I really have to choose between going to school and eating? Because that is what I would have to do. I have already taken out a ton in student loans and I really can't afford to take out more. I work hard and I am pretty much a "straight A" college student and I would be damn close to having a 4.0 GPA if there was no administrative screw-up on my record that ended in me getting an F in a class that was supposed to be dropped because I could not attend.

This is ridiculous!
    Last edited by epiphany; August-09-11 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    It is clear that many of you don't understand how truly difficult it is to find work [[even part-time) when you are a full-time college student with little availability.

Should I really have to choose between going to school and eating? Because that is what I would have to do. I have already taken out a ton in student loans and I really can't afford to take out more..

Perhaps you should do like millions of other struggling Americans and seek full time employment while going to school part time?

Why should the tax dollars of those working full time be subsidizing your decision not to?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast