Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clawson Sucks

Default Clawson Sucks

Pardon my pointless rant...I know there are a plethora of reasons why Clawson generally sucks, but....

I received a parking ticket very early Saturday morning for parking on a residential street in Clawson between the hours of 2 AM - 6 AM. I looked in the morning and there was not one sign on the whole street that indicated that you could not park there during that time frame.

I called the city today and they said they post that ordinance only at "major intersections" in the city and do not on the residential streets you'd actually get the ticket due to "home ownership issues".

It's only for $20 [[as long as I pay within week it doesn't go to $50), but I'm just annoyed with it. As a visitor to the city I had no warning whatsoever that my parking was illegal [[unless, of course, I randomly read the ordinance signs at a "major intersection" in town).

We had the thread earlier about having to pay police expenses in cities even when you are at no fault. This falls in that line - cities just screwing over civilians so they can pay their own salaries. While I respect much of what they do, I just find it absurd some of the ways that police/parking enforcement knowingly screw people over.

I'm paying my ticket, but not too happy about it and will not spend a damn dime in that city in my own personal protest!

[[This thread is basically pointless, but somehow in my head me speaking my mind on a public forum helps justify writing that 20 buck check .)

I spent the first 23 years of my life in Clawson.

The ordinance is clearly posted on all main roads as you enter the city of Clawson. Your hosts should have warned you about it too. We also did so for our guests so they wouldn't get a ticket.

I wish the city I live in, Warren, had this ordinance. It forces people to only have working vehicles parked on the street and in the most visible parts of their driveway.

Once on my street [[in Warren) there was a car parked there for 6 months, it had a flat tire and never moved an inch. Because Warren didn't have a parking ordinance it was automatically taken care of. I called the police and they promptly give it a violation for be a non-functioning vehicle parked in the street.

As to why it's not signed, it's enforced city wide. They would have to put massive amounts of signs all over the place and the city would lose its charm.

I like the ordinance; it keeps the streets clear.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    As to why it's not signed, it's enforced city wide. They would have to put massive amounts of signs all over the place and the city would lose its charm.
    They have the same general ordinance in East Lansing [[starts at midnight), but they at least put signs on the residential streets indicating the ordinances. It's not a "massive" amount of signs at all nor does it look bad.

You mean you can't even park your car in front of your own house overnight??? What if you had no room on your driveway and you had overnight guests? I would bet that you will get a ticket if block the sidewalk. Does Clawson provide any spare lots to avoid this type of scenario?

same ordinance in Grosse pointe woods, but its from 3am to 5am

you can get a permit to park you car in the street for a limited time frame and/or you can call the police station and give them your parking location and plate # and they won't ticket you

i've lived in GPW almost my entire life and probably get the ticket 2-3 time a year, sucks to pass out on your couch and forget your car is in the street........

I would guess that every suburb in Metro Detroit has a similar ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    I know for a fact Bloomfield Township does not. The ordinance is fine, but the horrible job of notifying citizens is ridiculous.

Nope, not in Royal Oak. At least no streets in my neighborhood.

Northville does. Novi doesn't. I never understood these ordinances. If the city was running street sweepers every night, it might make sense. But if not, what's the purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    same ordinance in Grosse pointe woods, but its from 3am to 5am

you can get a permit to park you car in the street for a limited time frame and/or you can call the police station and give them your parking location and plate # and they won't ticket you

i've lived in GPW almost my entire life and probably get the ticket 2-3 time a year, sucks to pass out on your couch and forget your car is in the street........
    same for harper woods...at least when i was growing up there for 25+ years

Detroit's largest suburb, Warren, does not.

As others have said, you can get a variance for special occasions. I've had to get them in the past.

Clawson generally has larger lots on residential streets, but not in all cases. These lots typically have long driveways. My parents could easily fit 5 cars in the driveway and one more in the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    They have the same general ordinance in East Lansing [[starts at midnight), but they at least put signs on the residential streets indicating the ordinances. It's not a "massive" amount of signs at all nor does it look bad.
    Like I said, it's very clearly posted on all main roads entering the city. I would be more mad at my friend for not looking after my interests.

Clawson is a nice place to live because of its ordinances. I hope to move back some day when I can afford to get out of my house.

Hint: Go to the cop shop and explain to them you're a visitor [[show them your license) and that you didn't know about the ordinances. Explain your remorseful and won't do it again. Ask if leniency can be shown.

[[hint may not work if you're black)

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Clawson is a nice place to live because of its ordinances. I hope to move back some day when I can afford to get out of my house.

Hint: Go to the cop shop and explain to them you're a visitor [[show them your license) and that you didn't know about the ordinances. Explain your remorseful and won't do it again. Ask if leniency can be shown.

[[hint may not work if you're black)
    Wow.

So what is it again that makes Clawson such a nice place that you are looking forward to moving back? The fact that city officials choose to let "those people" who visit understand that they are not equally welcome?
    And to think people wonder why we have such poor race relations and this region is so racially segregated.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Pardon my pointless rant...I know there are a plethora of reasons why Clawson generally sucks, but....

I received a parking ticket very early Saturday morning for parking on a residential street in Clawson between the hours of 2 AM - 6 AM. I looked in the morning and there was not one sign on the whole street that indicated that you could not park there during that time frame.

I called the city today and they said they post that ordinance only at "major intersections" in the city and do not on the residential streets you'd actually get the ticket due to "home ownership issues".

It's only for $20 [[as long as I pay within week it doesn't go to $50), but I'm just annoyed with it. As a visitor to the city I had no warning whatsoever that my parking was illegal [[unless, of course, I randomly read the ordinance signs at a "major intersection" in town).

We had the thread earlier about having to pay police expenses in cities even when you are at no fault. This falls in that line - cities just screwing over civilians so they can pay their own salaries. While I respect much of what they do, I just find it absurd some of the ways that police/parking enforcement knowingly screw people over.

I'm paying my ticket, but not too happy about it and will not spend a damn dime in that city in my own personal protest!

[[This thread is basically pointless, but somehow in my head me speaking my mind on a public forum helps justify writing that 20 buck check .)
    I never like these kind of regulations, especially when you visit someone who has a garage, and they completely forget or are unaware to tell you not to street park. I was fortunate in one community to have a warning.

But the signs ARE there. They are required to post them upon entering city limits. But I don't believe there's any regulation governing what the sign looks like. So many drivers may not notice.

I don't know about Michigan, but most major cities expect you to assume the speed limit....30 mph unless posted otherwise. Very common in big cities where putting up speed limit signs is impractical. Regardless, drivers are required to know the speed limit before entering that municipality, or at least taken note of the sign at the boundary.
    Last edited by wolverine; August-08-11 at 11:46 PM.

St. Clair Shores has a similar ordinance, but they're more lax about it.

I have to agree with those that said a warning about parking on the street by the homeowner should have been given. They're the ones you should be mad at stinkytofu...

Another gripe?

Now that most cities have gone to contracted trash removal...apparently they subsidize it with city-wide no-parking on trash day.

I was at a client's down in Southgate one morning...unloaded in his driveway, but he had other workers coming by so he told me to park around the corner...since it was trash day and you couldn't park in front of his house.

I did...only to come out later to find a ticket. They had s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d the statute to include those streets, too, and he missed the memo.

It is unpaid, and will remain so. They've spent a small fortune sending reminders to me, some night we'll use 'em all to light the Ball o' Fire on the back porch. It should make quite the fireball...and catharsis.

Cheers, I feel your pain, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Wow.

So what is it again that makes Clawson such a nice place that you are looking forward to moving back? The fact that city officials choose to let "those people" who visit understand that they are not equally welcome?
    And to think people wonder why we have such poor race relations and this region is so racially segregated.
    You've got it. [[I'm sure that we'll now hear about the difficult time white people get at the CAYMC, though... as if those folks don't give everyone a hard time...)

We have that same law in St. Clair Shores and as someone else posted they are lax until it needs to be enforced and you can get a permit to park on the street.
    At first I thought this was a very stupid law then a few doors down we got the the party house from hell on my street the party's went on all night during the week stoners coming and going waking everyone up in the middle of the work nights cars parked all over the street. The Neighbors complained and the cops at 2am sharp would start ticketing the all the cars parked on the street it worked wonders just before 2 the party and street cleared out so now I am a firm believer in the law. They also enforce it when cars thefts or crime go up in an area people are less likely to have there car stolen in the backyard or in the garage and if crime goes up it is easier to see a car that doesnt belong in the area in the middle of the night

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Northville does. Novi doesn't. I never understood these ordinances. If the city was running street sweepers every night, it might make sense. But if not, what's the purpose?
    Besides keeping junk cars off the street, the other purpose is so the cops can drive down the street and conveniently see if there is any "riff raff" in the area.These ordinances stink if you live on a corner with no driveway. You have to obtain permits if you don't want to be ticketed. It's a money grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Wow.

It's changed a lot since I was born, but unfortunately it's still that way. I've seen a few people cited for DWB's.

It's these old folks, they're still so racist, and Clawson is filled with them. However, the school district is starting to get much more diverse [[most via kids from other cities) and the young kids aren't racist at all.

It is a nice city, and this region, not just Clawson, is still dealing with racist old people.

As already mentioned it's the homeowners fault for not letting you know about it.
    If I was the homeowner I'd pay your fine since I was the one who F'd up.

Wait, hold on a minute.
    How is Clawson a racist city? And how is the ordinance racist?

1. I am a young black man, I frequent Clawson and am never harassed or feel that I am being watched by the police or resisdents. On the contrary, the residents are always the 'hello' type. I would rent a house in Clawson in a heartbeat [[it is too sleepy for me to live there long term).

2. The ordinance may be in part motivated by aesthetics and the narrowness of the streets. Clawson citizens not parking on the street at night will by habit park in the driveway during the day. And guess what? It looks a lot better. The street looks better without cars in it. Car lined streets are like driving with your arm out the window.

3. Don't impute racism upon the Clawson Police unless you have a good reason. I would rather drive through Clawson everyday for the rest of my life than deal with the Eastpointe Police.

4. Why is there so much race baiting on this website lately? I am almost to the point of leaving the website.

now i've read it all... how you can turn getting a ticket for parking you car on the street overnight into racism is beyond me... but the fact that you believe this shows the ignorance that will likely never be overcome....

you caught us white folk... whitey made these parking laws to keep the blacks out of our community.... only the black owned cars get ticketed, because they research the ownership of every car before they write the ticket... there, i exposed it.... this racist law must be overturned.....

i actually park mutiple cars everynight on the street and never get a ticket....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10356/satu...-white-like-me
    Last edited by Goose; August-09-11 at 10:22 AM.

Fine, fine, majohnson & Goose. Nothing that is ever done is motivated by race in SE Michigan. It's just crazy black people making everything up. We have apparently been making things up for decades.

Game's up. You got us. Let us all proceed with our perfectly harmonious, colorblind region and world.

I hereby promise to stop my vicious hate against Clawson, and hope others will take the same stand.

english, not claiming that racism doesn't exist

but this isn't a case of "parking while black"... like i said in my previous post, im 95% white [[5% African American? [[ancestry from South Africa - it is Africa, and I am American, but thats another debate))..... I get these tickets all the time, parked right in front of my white house........

maybe they are ticketing me based on my African [[south) heritage.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast