Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1516 vinewood - rip

Two alarm fire, owner says he has no insurance [[probablly couldn't afford the premiums) Chances are, that will be another dead building. In other large cities it would be worth repairing a beautiful brick building like that, in Detroit, usually doesn't happen.

Apartment building... found this on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

link repair

Can anyone make out that yellow sign?

Thank you... my goofy mistake.

WWJ says a woman and her children jumped from the 4th floor into a sheet held by neighbors. She and one of the children hit the cement. Any word on how they are doing?

Witness account:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011080...tment-building

Found this in the News: Emergency Medical Services technicians said the family didn't appear to suffer any broken bones in the escape, but would be checked out more thoroughly at an area hospital.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-08-11 at 06:39 PM.

The Free Press reported the building had experienced four fires in a short period of time. Arson squad lieutenant said there isn't enough manpower to investigate the blazes. So they have no idea why this one building happened to catch fire repeatedly. Oh well. It's only lives at stake.

They had squatters in there, too. Maybe neighbors are the ones who said they think squatters somehow set fire to the apartment this time, maybe on purpose.

Sad, used to live around the corner. It was a very well kept building twenty years ago....but had suffured the usual decline in occupancy as older tenants died/moved on. The sign said something like "no loitering in front of the building". That kid is a hero, imagine if some folks started a college fund for him....
    Last edited by barnesfoto; August-08-11 at 09:40 PM.

I live down the street. This apartment is home to drug dealers, addicts, nare-do-wells, misanthropes and other problem makers. People walking past this building have been constantly harassed by residents hanging out in front of their "home". Landlord is not proactive. This building will be dealt with through enforced nuisance abatement laws now that the area is part of the Detroit Works initiative...hopefully.

I drove past about an hour ago. The building is wide open, and several people are inside, playing music and hangin tough. I don't know how these folks can be squatters if the whole building has power [[unless they ALL steal it). Lights are on and fans are a runnin. The fire damage is only visible in one or two units from the street.

This building is way bigger than the pictures let on. The sign on the front sais, "No loitering or consumption of alcohol will be permitted, yada,yada. Yeah right.

"This building will be dealt with through enforced nuisance abatement laws now that the area is part of the Detroit Works initiative...hopefully."

There are at least eight well known drug dens, all apartment buildings like this one, operating in Midtown within a few blocks of Central District. Wayne County's Nuisance Abatement bit the dust last year and they were the only program I knew of willing to deal with mini New Jack cities. Hope for the best neighbor, but prepare for the worst.

Nice thread guys. We'll throw this a reference in our vancouver hardwood repair section. I am looking for some Hardwood flooring services in Vancouver. Please share something for me.

vancouver hardwood repair

^^
    What?

Stromberg2

The victims are in stable condition.

From the Detroit Free Press:

"Dan Lijana, a spokesman for Mayor Dave Bing, said the building wasn't suitable for occupancy. He said a notice was issued ordering corrections and requiring that the property be vacated until it is repaired.

The city also issued eight tickets for failing to comply with the violations from the earlier fire."

Remember when tenants were forced to vacate the Lofts on Iron St. owned by Dennis Kellafinos. People had been living in that property for years. Why isn't this happening here? Does the fire marshall force this to happen?

The first two floors are still occupied. The front and back doors are wide open. Electricity is still on in the building. It's had two fires! I'd think the smoke damage and the fact that much of the building is open to the elements would be enough of a health hazard not to mention the rampant drug activity and apparent fire-starters who are using the building.

I live right down the street from "Broderick Manor" as well. On several occasions this summer I've seen the tenants having - no kidding - bonfires in front of the building. Rounding the corner of Shady Lane at night is tricky because there is almost always a car or two parked in the street with several people leaning into it, or street-level drug transactions taking place.

Someone should buy that building, fix it up, and rent it to some decent folks. That's a pretty nice area and I imagine there would be demand for units. I don't know what rents are like in the Clark Park area of Mexicantown, but I think it could be a good investment. If I had the money, I would take a serious look at it. It seems like it would be a good starter project for a new real estate investor.