Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 4454 Woodward Avenue

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to gather information on the historical background of the 1920s Albert Kahn car dealership at 4454 Woodward Avenue [[at Woodward and Garfield) that is currently the site for MOCAD. Specifically I'm looking for old photos, previous building uses, Sanborn maps, etc. Could anyone offer any insights? Anything is appreciated.

Thanks!

Insights? Or instructions on how to chase down old photos, facts, drawings, etc.?

I recommend that you look up the address in a 1920 City of Detroit Directory Index. It may be online if not I am sure you can find one at the Burton Historical Library inside of the Main Library on Woodward [[Enter from Cass. Once inside turn left it's at the end of the hall) They have just about all the indexes beginning with the 1835. I was just there on Saturday and I actually looked at the 1920 index. They are located on the last bookcase to the right of the windows.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-08-11 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Insights? Or instructions on how to chase down old photos, facts, drawings, etc.?
    See my post. The Burton Library Historical is an excellent source.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; August-08-11 at 03:28 PM.

I'm not actually in Detroit, I'm doing research about the site. If anyone has any resources to share, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll try to find a City of Detroit Directory Index online. Thanks MidTownMs!

Quote Originally Posted by elzee View Post
    I'm not actually in Detroit, I'm doing research about the site. If anyone has any resources to share, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll try to find a City of Detroit Directory Index online. Thanks MidTownMs!

You might also find what you need by going to the Detroit Public Library online catalog.

It appears that this was discussed several years ago and it was a Dodge dealership.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/6790/77971.html

Take a look at the 1921 map a few postings down - it says it was the Thomas J. Doyle Dodge Service Station

I saw 56packman the weekend before last and he was having computer problems then. When he gets it worked out, then I am sure he will respond, too.

Last edited by Packman41; August-08-11 at 07:50 PM. Reason: more information

Packman41, thank you so much! Your link to the previous forum is extremely helpful and interesting to peruse. I wish I could get in touch with Designut, who said he had a tour of the building before it was renovated. I'm curious if he or anyone has pictures of the building from any point in its history - from when it was first a Dodge dealership to even its state in 2006 before its new identity as MOCAD. I'm going through a 1929 city directory and looking for advertisements and images; if I find anything good I'll post them up too.

Thanks again!