Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Will Detroit get a White Mayor.

A round table discussion from Channel 4's Sunday news press talk show Flashpoint asks will Detroit ever get a white mayor? Surely Gary Indiana got a white mayor anout 20 years ago. Detroit up to this day have a long line a black mayors:

1. Coleman A. Young

2. Dennis Archer

3. Kwame Kilpatrick [[Recalled)

4. Ken Cockerel [[ Acting Mayor)

5. Dave Bing

When the 2013 Detroit mayoral election coming soon. I keeping my eye on upcoming Detroit white mayoral candidates:

1. Jeffrey Fieger

2. Sheila Cockerel

3. Mike Illitch

4. Peter Karmonos

5. Dan Gilbert

I am not sure the 4 of the 5 should run for mayor against Dave Bing but Jeffery Fieger alreadt put his hat into the political pot for Detroit mayor. Will a Detroit white mayor reshape the city's image or will it be a bust. Any comments?

Are those serious candidates?

You missed Eminem, Matty Maroun and Paws.

While all things are possible I think it is highly unlikely that there is any person who has a stellar-enough reputation for doing significant actions benefiting the City of Detroit, like Penske, Gilbert, Ilitch or Karmonos, who would also want to endure a bruising campaign followed by governing a city with little revenue and many problems. Arguably they can do more for the city outside of government than inside. The office is fellow-businessman Bing's as long he wants to keep it.

I can't take Feiger's rumored candidacy seriously. It reminds me of Trumps abortive presidential campaign -- more for advertising his brand and business than a sincere run for an office and country that he, like Feiger in Detroit, has done little to improve.

Only slightly better than the chances of a Jewish person becoming the pope.

Even if there was some way that a white person could get elected the criticism that he/she would face would be unbearable. The black community seems a lot more comfortable with a black person screwing them over than a white person. Actually, I think way too comfortable.

I don't think a white person could be appointed to run DPS or be the financial manager of Detroit if it ever gets to that point. There's no way one is going to get elected based on the racial makeup of the city as it stands now.

I'd vote for Sheila

My guess is that if someone--anyone-- is a serious candidate, they have to be willing to be honest about the current state of the city. That means no more lofty talk about auto companies to set up plants again within the city limits.

be upfront about neighborhood blight; there are still far too many abandined/wrecked/burnt-out homes, storefronts, apartments, warehouses and factory grounds. demolitions and/or renovaiton projects could recruit plenty of local residents. Aggressive enforcement of blight rules on long-abandoned structures needs to take place. Why is the Packard Plant still "standing"? Play hardball with Maroun on the MCS.

be upfront about illiteracy/under-educated adults. Detroit has long been over-dependent on unskilled entry-level labor positions that largely no longer exist in the region. There should be a city-wide undertaking to address this- partner with DPS, and non-profit/philanthropic groups.

be upfront about regional cooperation. Not selling the farm for a few beans, but service sharing, including some progressive movement on the regional transit plan.

be upfront about improving public safety- seek grants from the business world, nonprofits, etc., to help pay for upgraded equipment and maintenance. Retrain personnel on community interaction; have zero tolerance for misbehavior by officers/other dept. personnel.

Be upfront about needing more revenue- don't privatize the parking meters.

Paws isn't white; he's striped.

Quote Originally Posted by goirish1966 View Post
    Paws isn't white; he's striped.
    PAWS is bi-racial. The term "striped" might be taken as derogatory.

The next mayor of Detroit needs to be a billionaire who is willing to use some of his billions to help the city out. "Gates, Trumpp, Branson, and Murdock, you guys looking to run for a polical office? Forget the Whitehouse, you can make a bigger dent here in Detroit."

..I once sent a letter to Richard Branson about Virgin getting involved in transit trains for Detroit.. I have no idea if it got to him.. LOL...

Detroit will have a white mayor when all of the candidates are white....

Who cares? This is a racially divisive topic and one that bears no relevance.

Detroit needs a good strong mayor. In my view we have not had one since CAY.

You never hear the question, "will Oakland County ever elect a black County Executive?" or "will Grosse Pointe have a black mayor?" I think Detroit electing a white mayor is more likely than either of those. Black voters have been voting for white candidates since blacks got the right to vote; it's white voters that historically have trouble voting for black candidates.

Detroit needs to get celebrities out of politics.

Bing didn't live in Detroit until he decided he wanted to be Mayor, and Feiger, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't live in Detroit, and his business is out of Southfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Detroit needs to get celebrities out of politics.

Bing didn't live in Detroit until he decided he wanted to be Mayor, and Feiger, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't live in Detroit, and his business is out of Southfield.
    I'm not always a fan of what Bing does. But to be fair, he's not a celebrity....he's a businessman. And considering that the biggest problem facing the city of Detroit is a financial problem, I'm glad to see a businessman in office.

As to the original post...the question and its implied presuppositions are irrelevant and unnecessarily divisive. Forget about a white mayor. How about a mayor who can successfully speak the language of the marketplace of the wealthy, attracting investment and much-needed capital while still remaining cognizant and connected to the needs of large numbers of poor, uneducated, and unemployed residents.

Don't you think that might be a more useful conversation?

In other news of the weird, Detroit elects educated and serious City council members!

If Detroit had a history of family political involvement like the Landrieu family in New Orleans then it could happen. New Orleans elected Mitch who is the first white mayor since his daddy left in 1978.
    I'm sure the black population of New Orleans feels a certain level of comfort with the Landrieu family which is why Mitch won.

I don't think there is the same dymanic currently in Detroit

What about Denny McLain? He has experience in pension fund swindles and perhaps could help out the city in that area!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

yeah, and look how that turned out. CAY set the stage for, if not a huge majority, then at least a huge bundle of Detroit's problems

Interesting... Some of the remaining custodial social elite, political rhetoricians, rank & file and person-at-the-coney island etc. still push the "can't let them steal our Jewels" yah-dah world view.

But that's getting REALLY old and tarnished [[pun intended) and simply impractical. And crime is increasing, and the squalor is getting hard to avoid as the even the safer areas erode and the middle and upper class continue to flee. Including the estimable 'stealing the jewels' crowd who'd now prefer to offer their discord from the other side of eight mile and beyond!!

COUNT ME IN: I'd vote for a strong, dedicated, relevant, candidate with a solid and practical vision, showing forth an applicable program and integration of resources who's not part of the "corruption syndicate" lineage no matter what race!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    You never hear the question, "will Oakland County ever elect a black County Executive?" or "will Grosse Pointe have a black mayor?" I think Detroit electing a white mayor is more likely than either of those. Black voters have been voting for white candidates since blacks got the right to vote; it's white voters that historically have trouble voting for black candidates.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-08-11 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    Yes we would.If they have a proven track record of fiscal awareness.We voted for Barry the Fool,er community org,er voted present with no clue....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

100% agreement that Detroit needs a good strong mayor. Also in agreement about CAY. No matter what anyone thinks about him, no one can deny that he was strong. Archer could have been stronger and could have gotten some infrastructure problems resolved while the economy allowed for it. The three after that:

Kwame had the potential but was just too damn dirty for words.

Ken Cockrel showed the entire world that he's dumb as a stump.

Bing has shown that can only function when he's being carried by others. Once placed in a true leadership position where he has to actually generate results, he's been completely lost.

As far as the question of Detroit getting a White Mayor. I hate to answer a question with a question, but

Who were the mayors before Coleman A. Young?

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Yes we would.If they have a proven track record of fiscal awareness.We voted for Barry the Fool,er community org,er voted present with no clue....
    Yep. And a lot of white folks all over the country are telling each other they'll never make that mistake again... hey, they gave the black guy three good years... a fair chance, and as much time as they gave the...

Oh, wait.

Black Americans are voting with their feet all over the country and especially in Detroit. If they had any problem living in places with white mayors, the suburbs of the United States wouldn't be diversifying.

Also, there are several white Detroit political activists whom I believe would be great as mayor. I went to high school with a rising star in the Democratic Party. He's a politically active white guy, very respected, and comes from a labor/political family. If he threw his hat in the ring, I'd sign up with him tomorrow...

...because he's not afraid of black people. He's a lifelong Detroiter who knows the entire city, not just parts of it. Now, you don't have to be from here, but you do have to do what it takes.

If you're reading this, and you're white, and have political ambitions in this city, you've got to get around to the entire city. We had some great folks up for Charter Commission, a few of whom even post here, but you've got to work the Inner City Sub Center as much as you do Corktown. You've got to get to the churches and the black Greeks. You've got to talk to everyone, even if you disagree, even if you think that the citizens are illiterates and their leaders are a bunch of clowns... and you can't show them that, either. You've got to make common cause with the people and feel as if their voices are heard. [[I hate to say this, but I've figured out that here in Detroit, it's not what you do for people, it's whether or not you listen to their concerns, and don't look down on them. Yes, I know. But that's the way it is.)

I am sure that we'll have a Latino councilperson from SW Detroit in 2013; perhaps we'll also have some white council members IF they actually do the tough work of dealing with the Detroit political machine. Because no matter what people think of the dominant group of Detroit activists, loudmouths, organizers, etc. they are the ones who GOTV on Election Day.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    100% agreement that Detroit needs a good strong mayor. Also in agreement about CAY. No matter what anyone thinks about him, no one can deny that he was strong. Archer could have been stronger and could have gotten some infrastructure problems resolved while the economy allowed for it. The three after that:

Kwame had the potential but was just too damn dirty for words.

Ken Cockrel showed the entire world that he's dumb as a stump.

Bing has shown that can only function when he's being carried by others. Once placed in a true leadership position where he has to actually generate results, he's been completely lost.

As far as the question of Detroit getting a White Mayor. I hate to answer a question with a question, but

Who were the mayors before Coleman A. Young?
    The Mayors before CAY included: Roman Gribbs, Jerome Cavanaugh, Louis Miriani, Albert Cobo, Eugene Van Antwerp......Solomon Sibley was the first in 1806 who resigned shortly after followed by Elijah Brush in the same year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast