Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Detroit's gangs: Who they are and how to stop them.

Okay we all know Detroit has it's gangs. But how many are there? What can we all do to put an end to this?

Vote out the City Council. That should take care of a good part of the criminal element

Whatever happened to the "Purple Gang"?
    How about the "Bishops" and the "Chains"?
    Or the "Coneyonlys" and the "BKs"?
    Gangs have been around in one form or another for decades. Perhaps Ray or tponetom have some recollections or comments.

Start at birth to teach children how to treat others.

I'm afraid this current generation is a total loss.

Strikes me that gangs were not particularly a problem in Detroit in the fifties and sixties. By the seventies, I had moved to administration and kind of lost touch with the street, but it would appear they are a problem today.....although not nearly as bad as the situation in southern Cal. I don't think Detroit gangs are anywhere near as organized as there.

And....lizaanne....don't be so pessimistic. I watch the kids on the National Geography Bee and the National Spelling Bee; and I watch them on Jeopardy! during the teen and college tournaments. America's future is still bright, trust me.

Coneyonlys is a funny gang name

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Start at birth to teach children how to treat others.

I'm afraid this current generation is a total loss.
    well the current generation will be raising the next generation so from your view point we are all screwed..

DetroitDad Guest

There are no real gangs in Detroit.

I didn't think we had gangs in Detroit, unless you count the small groups of people trying to sell drugs or prostitutes. The big guys all know Detroit isn't a market worth entering. It's the Walmart and chain culture; people don't care what they get, so long as they get the cheapest price imaginable. I would bet there is higher demand for street marjoram, pure baking soda, and 40 year old transvestites than there is for marijuana, cocaine, or 19 year old female prostitutes. Our residents also aren't of mixed incomes, and don't usually carry more than what the most desperate would steal.

The other issue is combined age and density. There aren't enough young people in a concentrated area in the city limits for them to get big enough. You have the starts of some grass roots gangs in the suburbs, or a few members moving to Southwest Detroit, but not enough to really make them much of a sizable gang.

Police also take gang activity very seriously in Metro Detroit.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-28-09 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Strikes me that gangs were not particularly a problem in Detroit in the fifties and sixties. By the seventies, I had moved to administration and kind of lost touch with the street, but it would appear they are a problem today.....although not nearly as bad as the situation in southern Cal. I don't think Detroit gangs are anywhere near as organized as there.

And....lizaanne....don't be so pessimistic. I watch the kids on the National Geography Bee and the National Spelling Bee; and I watch them on Jeopardy! during the teen and college tournaments. America's future is still bright, trust me.
    They were a big problem in the late seventies and early eighties, as they became a part of the drug trade. But I thought they had been successfully dealt with during the Young Administration. I seem to remember he basically declared war on the gangs. I had no idea they had gotten strong again.

I suspect that unless you are involved, are young enough to be recruited, are in law enforcement or live next door to it, you'd not necessarily be aware [[except during the Cinco de Mayo debacle). For those in the foregoing list, however, yes, it remains a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Coneyonlys is a funny gang name
    It apparently came from a mishearing/misspelling of the name Corleone from the Godfather movies.

Hey, it's Detroit, we all know how to spell "coney," don't we?

There will always be gangs. It’s human nature. What’s the difference between a Coneyonly a Phi Kappa Theta and a Pershing Doughboy? Kids join all for the same reasons, social networking, protection, economic opportunity ... I think if inner-city kids felt safe and secure, had guidance and role models, as well as the promise of economic opportunities then their gang bangin’ activities would be more positive in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by DocTerry View Post
    I suspect that unless you are involved, are young enough to be recruited, are in law enforcement or live next door to it, you'd not necessarily be aware [[except during the Cinco de Mayo debacle). For those in the foregoing list, however, yes, it remains a big problem.
    There is a sort of gang fault line that runs down the middle of pretty much every Mexican-American community in the country that has its origins in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I intend the current generation of thugs. They are a lost cause.

And yes - they will indeed be rearing the next generation of thugs. Most frightening indeed. We need more police, and to get rid of the abandoned buildings, crack down on drugs and illegal guns. Takes money the city does not have.

I am a pessimist when it comes to Detroit's current city council doing anything positive for the city. They all need to go, then maybe, just maybe there is a chance. Until that happens expect business as usual.

Well this "thug" in the current generation is paying your Social Security... so relax and try to focus on the positive in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    There are no real gangs in Detroit.

I suggest you speak with Eric Barnes. He was Deputy Cheif of DPD before Kwame took office. He currently teaches Criminal Justice course at UDM. Contrary to what you have stated, there are several gangs operating within the city. The 7 Mile John R area has a strong Arabic gang presence-ties with Dearborn. There are also several Latin gangs in southwest Detroit. There are also several Asian gangs in the city. Mostly Triads, they're the kind that slit throats and hack you up with a chain saw not the nice italian kind that just shoot you in the head. The majority of cars washes and 24-hr hair braiding places in the city operate as a front for laundering dirty money. Theres no way the IRS can track how many african braids you do in one day. Walk into any grocery store, look for the baby formula. its prolly up front locked behind glass. People use it as a bonding agent when they cook cocaine to make crack. Organized crime is alive and well people.
    Last edited by hybridy; May-28-09 at 01:15 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    Well this "thug" in the current generation is paying your Social Security... so relax and try to focus on the positive in the world.
    How exactly do thugs pay social security? I highly doubt they report much taxable income.

the Dexter Boyz [[with a "z," mind you) have given me quite a few headaches. They've stolen my brother and my boyfriend's cars from our gated parking lot, and my brother's friend's car twice, and I'd venture to guess at least 40 other cars from our lot and guest lot in the 3 years I've lived there [[M-10 and the Blvd, roughly). my brother's car was found in pretty bad shape with "dexter boyz" carved in every panel. the night they took that, they took umpteen catalytic converters from our lot. When gas prices were extremely high last year they punctured a lot of gas tanks.

the funny thing is that they all have myspaces. when my brother's car was stolen we looked and found all of them online, most of their profiles bragging about crimes they had committed.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Luke Bergmann [[Director of Research at the city's Health and Wellness Dept and husband of my lovely urban anthropology professor) spent 2 years doing fieldwork with the Dexter Boyz as research for his book "Getting Ghost." Very good read.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I suggest you speak with Eric Barnes. He was Deputy Cheif of DPD before Kwame took office. He currently teaches Criminal Justice course at UDM. Contrary to what you have stated, there are several gangs operating within the city. The 7 Mile John R area has a strong Arabic gang presence-ties with Dearborn. There are also several Latin gangs in southwest Detroit. There are also several Asian gangs in the city. Mostly Triads, they're the kind that slit throats and hack you up with a chain saw not the nice italian kind that just shoot you in the head. The majority of cars washes and 24-hr hair braiding places in the city operate as a front for laundering dirty money. Theres no way the IRS can track how many african braids you do in one day. Walk into any grocery store, look for the baby formula. its prolly up front locked behind glass. People use it as a bonding agent when they cook cocaine to make crack. Organized crime is alive and well people.
    They're not really tied to the community, they're usually international groups here trafficking. If you are not involved in that trade, you'll never know they're here. We do have some small ethnic specific groups, but I wouldn't call them a gang anywhere near the level they have near the three coasts.

Thank you Greentroit, keep doing what you do.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Luke Bergmann [[Director of Research at the city's Health and Wellness Dept and husband of my lovely urban anthropology professor) spent 2 years doing fieldwork with the Dexter Boyz as research for his book "Getting Ghost." Very good read.[/quote]

Reading that book now...it is a good read

So - you are a drug dealing, prostitute pushing, illegal gun toting gang member who gang bangs old people and harasses women and children, steals cars and robs homes?

How nice.

Don't worry my dear, I'm not going to need Social Security, I'm taking care of my own retirement needs thank you, and I'm far from needing any of it just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    So - you are a drug dealing, prostitute pushing, illegal gun toting gang member who gang bangs old people and harasses women and children, steals cars and robs homes?

How nice.

Don't worry my dear, I'm not going to need Social Security, I'm taking care of my own retirement needs thank you, and I'm far from needing any of it just yet.
    Why are you making assumptions about Greentroit? It's quite possible that Greentroit is a tax paying, positive difference making, citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Why are you making assumptions about Greentroit? It's quite possible the Greentroit is a tax paying, positive difference making, citizen.
    He called himself a thug and lumped himself in with those who are the topic of discussion. I call it as it is presented to me. Why call yourself a thug if you aren't one?

dexterferry Guest

there are GDs and vice lords in Detroit. there are also gangs on the east side that identify themselves by their various housing projects or "7 mile."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast